• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Completely broken Hand tool (PS24.5) Hand Tool Sticking, sticky, not seeing mouse-up

Enthusiast ,
Jun 19, 2023 Jun 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a bug. Please don't move it to the Discussions tab.

And please don't merge into another unrelated thread. I will report a bug with this thread.

------------------------------------

I made a YouTube video using a keyboard mouse overlay to show what action I'm taking. I hope you can refer to refer to it.

https://youtu.be/Cle6dEgP5_Y

------------------------------------

I was disappointed that there were so many bugs that were not fixed in 24.5, but I was still trying to give it a shot.

However, this bug is pretty serious. Really...

Please see the video I attached.
If you watch the video, you will see that I am shaking the screen.
I'm not using a hand tool, it should release automatically, but that thing is sticky.

To release this sticky, pinned handtool, you'll need to make one more unconditional click.

Here's how I've organized them for your reference.

< What I can be sure of >

1. Window10 (Tested a total of 14 PCs)
  2. Use WacomTablet
  3. Not related to preferences at all (Especially not related to Spring loaded, Flick panning stuff things)
  4. I've tried all the known Photoshop troubleshooting methods and no improvement.
  5. Even reinstalling Windows does the same thing
  6. Only in 24.5 does this bug occur with certainty. I can't reproduce it at all in earlier versions.

I'm not sure about the >

1. Mac OS not tested
  2. I couldn't even test if it was a GPU company difference. I and my team all use NVIDIA

And while there are a few threads pointing this out, there doesn't seem to be a proper plan to fix it.

If this is not fixed in 24.6, 24.6 will be equally unusable as 24.5.

Also check out the links below.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/hand-tool-lock-after-releasing-spaceb...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/some-ps-tools-keep-reading-wacom-pen-after-l...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/hand-tool-won-t-let-go-of-image/m-p/1...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/24-5-impossible-to-use-with-wacom-intuos-on-...

(cjbutler 1/12/24: edited title from "not reverting to cursor" to "not seeing mouse up" to reflect latest focus on lost mouse-up as root cause, and not just a stale cursor setting.)

Bug Started
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

The team is looking into, thank you!

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 30, 2023 Nov 30, 2023

Current status on this "stuck mouse-down" issue.

We're continuing to have extraordinary difficulty reproducing the issues at Adobe. We understand that for many of you in this thread the issue is happening very frequently, to the point of making the latest versions of Photoshop unusable.

Some of our users (Vit K, Alan P) in this thread added instrumentation to Photoshop using developer tools (Spy++) and observed in their fail cases that Photoshop was not even getting the WM_LBUTTONUP message

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 636 Replies 636
636 Comments
Enthusiast ,
Jan 17, 2024 Jan 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ibanksy  This will also be reproduced with the mouse on a PC without the Wacom driver installed. It has nothing to do with the pen/wacom..................

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 17, 2024 Jan 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I also do not use a tablet. Mouse only, problem still appears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2024 Jan 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is for sure a Windows ink/ Adobe situation. What I have seen with my
wacom is if I do not use my pen and use my finger, the sticking does not
happen. As soon as I introduce pen the sticking happens about 50% of the
time. I can hover my pen a half inch off tablet and the tool is still
stuck. This happens with spacebar/ momentary pan, selection tool, pen tool
and brushes. Obviously using your finger is not the way to go. But it
proves that this is a pen/ ink problem. Who uses a windows tablet with a
pen??? No one. Windows has tried to force this situation for years with
adobe and wacom. I have wasted so much time with this. On top of this
pressure settings for the pen are highly variable. Sometimes it works
normal. Sometimes it is stuck with full pressure. No idea what changed
from day to day. The last PS Beta worked very well for me. All tools
worked as normal. Then they literally turned it off and I had to upgrade
to still use the features I really like. Generative fill for hair is
unbelievable. Adobe, why can't you figure this out. If it worked in the
Beta why does it not work in the full version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on what I've personally seen, I would tend to agree with you on it (possibly) being a Microsoft Ink issue.  But there are plenty of folks on this thread who have experienced the problem without any tablet attached to their system.  I think that would rule out Microsoft Ink as a culprit (but I'm no expert!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's definitely not only a tablet/pen problem. I don't even know what Windows Ink is, and I do not own a tablet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Jan 25, 2024 Jan 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fixed issue page of 25.4 came out.
However, this bug of ours has not been reflected.

The wait begins again.
I hope it gets fixed at 25.5..... =(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> The fixed issue page of 25.4 came out. However, this bug of ours has not been reflected.

Correct.  It is being actively worked. We're still trying to figure out why it is misbehaving. No change in status. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another data point - got a new laptop from my work this week (Dell precision 7780), installed the latest version, problem happened right away. Win10 x64. Problem happens when using either a plugged-in mouse or the built-in trackpad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 26, 2024 Jan 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ridiculous that this hasn't been fixed yet. it makes photoshop unusable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 27, 2024 Jan 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've experienced the sticky hand tool issue again after updating to Adobe Photoshop Version: 25.4.0 20240118.r.319 67d7f0b x64 from the previous version (25.3.1 241).

Managed to (hopefully) fix it by (on Windows):

1. Go to "%appdata%\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2024\Adobe Photoshop 2024 Settings" in explorer
  2. Quit Photoshop.
  3. Rename "Adobe Photoshop 2024 Prefs.psp" to "Adobe Photoshop 2024 Prefs-bad"
  4. Run Photoshop
  5. Set the options as follows:DiodorS_0-1706358293139.png
  6. Quit Photoshop.
  7. Start Photoshop - problem solved.
  8. Quit Photoshop again.
  9. Delete "Adobe Photoshop 2024 Prefs.psp" and rename "Adobe Photoshop 2024 Prefs-bad" to "Adobe Photoshop 2024 Prefs.psp"
  10. Start Photoshop - the hand tool is no longer sticky. Magic.

-------------------------------------------

If you have found my post helpful and would like to say thanks, you can buy me a coffee :hot_beverage:️ at https://www.buymeacoffee.com/diodorsirola

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might have fixed it for me.  It took 2 photoshop restarts but even flick panning is working.  Zooming and panning appear to function and my brush pressure is working too.  Another thing I did was delete all of the old Photoshop files under Roaming>Adobe .  I had 5 old ones hanging out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Super weird - this actually worked. 

@CJButler I followed the steps @DiodorS outlined but kept copies of my prefs files along the way. I've put a zip file on my shared OneDrive with two prefs files that I can use to repeatedly induce the sticky problem, and cure it. If you use my "prefs good" file, the sticky problem goes away. If you use my "prefs sticky" file, it comes back. I figured this might be of use to you to try to find a difference between these two files that might be the thing that is causing the problem. The OneDrive file is here: PSPrefsForCJButler.zip  Hope this helps as it's the first time I've had a concrete works / doesn't work situation, in this case simply by swapping prefs files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @chrisell99 , I picked them up. I'll have someone take a look. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@chrisell99 Wow, this is huge. I wasn't brave enough to try to reintroduce the stickiness issue, just in case it wouldn't go away that easily next time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to the new version of PS, and started experiencing the problem.

This solved the issue for me:

Because of the incompatibility between the former PS (+LR) versions and Windows ink, I used the "PSUserConfig -> UseSystemStylus 0" solution and turned Windows ink off.

Now, I removed the PSUserConfig and turned Windows ink back on.

By short testing, it seems it is working now correctly.

(Sliders and everything else in PS and LR are also seem to be working)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Jan 28, 2024 Jan 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I first reported on this issue, I reported that it didn't seem to be a hardware or setup issue for each user.

Since it was reproduced immediately on the PC where the OS was newly installed, bugs were already included from the installation file distributed by Adobe.

And the act of resetting the pref works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't.

What's clear is that something is already going wrong from the "installation process."...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 28, 2024 Jan 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would tend to agree with @Jqqerry on this one. I mentioned a couple of posts ago that I did a new install on a fresh out of the box Dell laptop and the problem manifested immediately.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 30, 2024 Jan 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, this really solved the problem, I have version 25.2.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2024 Feb 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This little procedure seemed to fix the problem for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This little procedure from Diodor fixed the problem for me... for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's no problem Adobe said we can all have a month of subscription refunded for beta testing their software for them. Constant updates definitely doesn't mean constant new bugs to work around. 🤦 got to love that subscription! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2024 Feb 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would tend to agree that this is not a per-user preference issue/hardware issue as @Jqqerry suggested simply because I also find it results from clean install, and on misc hardware...so yes, it is something wrong directly from the default setup (and not related to tablet - as others have mentioned - as plent of no-tablet users reporting it on clean install and misc. hardware).

Will try the settings reset hotfix posted above later today and see whether it makes a difference. Sad to see it still not fixed in latest version though, software is borderline unusable still.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to my comment from a few minutes ago -

Confirmed that this hotfix does not solve the issue on my system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@A.L.5E2E Yes.
And even if the reset solves it, it's not a normal installation process (though that's not the way to fix the problem)
It is not convincing that newly installed users should reset as soon as they install.

I don't know about event logs like mouse up and down. (I don't know about programming at all).
But I think Adobe can solve the problem faster if they focus on comparing the previous version (for example, versions before 24.0.1) with the current 25.4....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2024 Feb 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It helped for like 5 minutes now I'm back being unable to use photoshop because the cursor just stays on the hand tool

Votes

Translate

Translate