• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Completely broken Hand tool (PS24.5) Hand Tool Sticking, sticky, not seeing mouse-up

Enthusiast ,
Jun 19, 2023 Jun 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a bug. Please don't move it to the Discussions tab.

And please don't merge into another unrelated thread. I will report a bug with this thread.

------------------------------------

I made a YouTube video using a keyboard mouse overlay to show what action I'm taking. I hope you can refer to refer to it.

https://youtu.be/Cle6dEgP5_Y

------------------------------------

I was disappointed that there were so many bugs that were not fixed in 24.5, but I was still trying to give it a shot.

However, this bug is pretty serious. Really...

Please see the video I attached.
If you watch the video, you will see that I am shaking the screen.
I'm not using a hand tool, it should release automatically, but that thing is sticky.

To release this sticky, pinned handtool, you'll need to make one more unconditional click.

Here's how I've organized them for your reference.

< What I can be sure of >

1. Window10 (Tested a total of 14 PCs)
  2. Use WacomTablet
  3. Not related to preferences at all (Especially not related to Spring loaded, Flick panning stuff things)
  4. I've tried all the known Photoshop troubleshooting methods and no improvement.
  5. Even reinstalling Windows does the same thing
  6. Only in 24.5 does this bug occur with certainty. I can't reproduce it at all in earlier versions.

I'm not sure about the >

1. Mac OS not tested
  2. I couldn't even test if it was a GPU company difference. I and my team all use NVIDIA

And while there are a few threads pointing this out, there doesn't seem to be a proper plan to fix it.

If this is not fixed in 24.6, 24.6 will be equally unusable as 24.5.

Also check out the links below.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/hand-tool-lock-after-releasing-spaceb...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/some-ps-tools-keep-reading-wacom-pen-after-l...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/hand-tool-won-t-let-go-of-image/m-p/1...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/24-5-impossible-to-use-with-wacom-intuos-on-...

(cjbutler 1/12/24: edited title from "not reverting to cursor" to "not seeing mouse up" to reflect latest focus on lost mouse-up as root cause, and not just a stale cursor setting.)

Bug Fixed Locked
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 04, 2024 Jun 04, 2024

We wanted to update this thread that the issue was fixed with the release of 25.6. If you are still having this issue with the most recent Ps version, please start a new thread with your information so the team can investigate further.

Thanks,

Cory - Photoshop Product Manager

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 637 Replies 637
637 Comments
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2023 Aug 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been about a month since I had this issue, and it has decided to return. I am using 24.7.0

So the fix as listed by alfredoc1234 is a temporary fix. But good news, it worked the second time around too. I guess I'll just have to keep doing this until Adobe fixes it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 30, 2023 Aug 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue but it also involves the zoom tool. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 03, 2023 Sep 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone found a fix for this bug yet? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a time line to fix this bug. It's very frustrating ____

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@remcoj16956915 
We'll have to wait a little longer because they said in Adobe that the correction was in progress. Not sure because someone reported that it wasn't fixed in Beta25.0 (beta version of Photoshop 2024 in the future). I haven't tried 25.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2023 Sep 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just adding my voice to the list of frustrated users. Incredibly annoying bug. Eagerly awaiting a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2023 Sep 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might not be a solution for everyone, but in my case it worked... (Win10/RTX2060 528.49 Studio driver)

I managed to overcome this in 24.6, after update to 25.0 - welcome back, sticky hand! Tried different things and switching Performance>Use Graphics Processor off and on again fixed it for now.

Below are my Tools settings (if I remember correctly that helped me solve the problem in the first place)

Screenshot 2023-09-12 123644.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been working a couple of hours with Beta 25.1 and -so far- hand tool is behaving non-sticky!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ignaxing could you share your sysinfo?

Launch Photoshop beta, and select Help >System Info...and copy/paste the text in a reply.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CoryShubertsure!

Adobe Photoshop Version: 25.1.0 20230905.m.2316 979c86d x64
Number of Launches: 76
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
Version: 10 10.0.19045.3324
System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:14, Stepping:9 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AVX, AVX2, HyperThreading
Physical processor count: 4
Logical processor count: 8
Processor speed: 4200 MHz
Built-in memory: 32722 MB
Free memory: 20976 MB
Memory available to Photoshop: 25154 MB
Memory used by Photoshop: 70 %
Crash Handler: Adobe
DCX Version: 7.1.5
SAM SDK Version: 4.1.4
ACP.local Status:
- SDK Version: 3.2.0.1
- Core Sync Status: Reachable and compatible
- Core Sync Running: 6.6.3.1
- Min Core Sync Required: 4.3.66.28
Live Edit Client SDK Version: 4.0.0
C2PA library version: adobe_c2pa/0.7.6 c2pa-rs/0.25.2
NGL Version: 1.35.0.19
D3D12Warp renderer: Disabled.
Manta Canvas: Enabled.
Alias Layers: Disabled.
Highbeam: Enabled.
Image tile size: 1024K
Image cache levels: 4
Font Preview: Medium
HarfBuzz Version: 4.3.0
TextEngine: Unified Text Engine
======= GPU
Native API stable: True
OpenGL API stable: True
OpenCL API stable: True
GPUDeny: 0
GPUForce: 0
useGPU: 1
useOpenCL: 1
isGPUCapable: 1
GPUName: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
GPUVendor: NVIDIA
IsNativeGPUCapable: 1
IsOpenGLGPUCapable: 1
IsOpenCLGPUCapable: 1
HasSufficientRAM: 1
GPU accessible RAM: 6,043 MB
Required GPU accessible RAM: 1,500 MB
UseGraphicsProcessorChecked: 1
UseOpenCLChecked: 1
Windows remote desktop: 0
Windows available feature level: 12.1
Windows required feature level: 12.0
Windows has required feature level: 1
Display: 1
Display Bounds: top=0, left=0, bottom=1080, right=1920
Display Type: SDR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes, this is beta and not pertinet here in the Ps release threads... but glad it is working for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Usually Beta (sic) is Beta.

Thought at least might be useful to mention it here since this bug has been around for maybe too long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mesmo problema aqui

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS 25.0

Doesn't happen very often. But it's not even completely fixed.
Still occasionally this sticky bug happens offensively.
Especially if Contask bar? is on the screen. Of course I always turned it off and used it in the beta version, but I don't think I should use it in the official version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I think it's right to think that the bug hasn't been resolved yet because I just checked that it's not on the official fixed issue list. Wait for 25.1 and roll back to 24.1....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2023 Sep 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When is this getting fixed? The new v 25 still has it, the Beta 25.1, and all previous available versions of photoshop suffer from this bug, all the way to 22.2. There's is no escaping it, and it makes the user experience incredibly annoying and the program almost unuseable. This bug has been in PS since March, can we PLEASE get a timeline when this will FINALLY be fixed??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. People pay for Photoshop but can't use it. What about students who need to use it for class but can't? Will there be refunds issued? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I just downloaded and installed version 25.0.0 (this is Sept. 2023 release). I noticed that on the info pages about bug fixes, and known issues, this problem is NOT mentioned anywhere.

Anyway, I tried this version out. I guess you could say that it is semi fixed. When using hand tool, one of two things happens.

1. Release left mouse button first, then space bar, hand tool sticks until I hit left click again.

2. Release space bar first, and then left mouse button, it releases, and all is fine.

I'm going to try to live with that for a while. Still have 24.0 installed just in case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm. Well just hit another wall. Using my Wacom tablet, (Intuos PTH-651), it will not reasease at all. Have to hit mouse left button first.

Back to 24.0 for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my good lord they released V25.0 with this bug, it's unbelievable how I still waste time updating Photoshop knowing there will always be bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Caity.psd This bug is still in V25.0 even though supposedly there was a fix in progress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 15, 2023 Sep 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 25.0 still has this issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess you have to use Generative fill to change hand cursor to regular cursor 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing this bug, with the cursor/tool getting stuck on-click, and not releasing. No troubleshooting attempts have worked to correct this. It's very disrupting to my work flow.  This is so very frustrating. PLEASE FIX THIS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2023 Sep 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My understanding is that engineering is aware of the issue and working on a fix.

In the meantime, it's a very annoying and production-stopping bug. I managed to finally kill it by resetting preferences - but in v25.0 I had to do it several times. In v24 it was enough to do it once. I deleted the whole settings folder every time.

I know, that doesn't make any sense. Why should the 4th reset be any more effective than the first or second?

But the way it looks to me, this is some kind of preference interference or conflict. In between the resets, I tried turning on/off any setting that seemed related (overscroll, spring-loaded, flick panning, etc).

On my work machine the second reset did it. On my home machine, armed with the knowledge that it was possible, I had to do it four times. But then it finally worked, and both machines seem stable now.

So don't give up. Try again.

Edit - oh, and I still managed to end up with the preferences I want, that I started out with. So it doesn't seem to be any specific setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate