• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 23.0 - cannot open TIF files, generated in other programs

Guide ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Starting from version 22.5.2 Photoshop stopped opening some tif files. The issue is related to a previously discovered vulnerability, the escalation of which, under certain conditions, may lead to arbitrary code execution - Adobe Security Bulletin.

Important: The problem is not with Photoshop, but with third-party software developers who do not keep track of current TIF specifications

A temporary solution to the problem is to convert files in third-party editors that completely update the structure of TIF files (for example, xnView, ImageMagik, etc.); such files can also be converted using the Camera Raw plug-in (via Bridge).

We all hope that Adobe can solve this problem and find a way to bring third-party files to modern standard. But I recommend that you independently contact the developers of programs whose files Photoshop cannot open. Notify them of the problem, recommend to contact @J453 using this community. Jeffrey can provide technical information to developers to solve this problem.

List of apps that have problems (according to your feedback):

There are no problems (or solved):

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Hi all,  

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 23.1. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here

To update Photoshop to 23.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating  

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected and share your feedback with us.

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

If you're still having trouble with TIFFs created/saved by software that's still being developed, please share the following information with them:

Photoshop’s TIFF parser had a buffer overrun security vulnerability in its synthesized calculation of the Image File Directory entry RowsPerStrip (278).

The fix for that was to reject TIFF files that did not provide the required RowsPerStrip (278) entry. Under the rationale that this IFD entry is required, as per the TIFF specification.

We have

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

This change was originally made to reject Tiff files that lacked an attribute which could pose a security risk. Engineering is working on a change to amend that behavior to calculate the missing attribute when not provided, but only under the constraint that the calculation can be made with fidelity and not cause the security vulnerability.

For now, you can install the prior version to open tiffs from a trusted source. Install previous versions of your Creative Cloud apps

We'll update this t

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 200 Replies 200
200 Comments
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's not pretend that Abobe suddenly became so security conscious after years of flash problems. Look up the CISA database and they are late fixing things. It's convenient that challenging security headers from Capture One and other third parties suddenly matters. It is on Adobe to provide correct APIs and proposed changes to the companies that use them in a timely manner so they can be accomodated without springing it on everybody with an upgrade to PS 2021 and 2022 so user workflows and businesses are impacted. Hiding it all under some nebulous "security change" doesn't cut it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please confirm if SNS-HDR tiffs will open with 22.5.2?  I have 22.5.1, and 23 doesn't work for me with SNS-HDR tiffs, and I'm worried about updating to 22.5.2, and whether it will not work and prevent me from reverting back to 22.5.1.  But 22.5.1 has some strange bugs that causes very long spinning wheel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Verto 

I have indeed read the comments through this thread and others, and am also a user affected by the issue. I am not an employee of Adobe just a user who also works daily with Photoshop in a workflow with several other applications. I am sure that, given Jeffrey's comments, if there is a secure way around this issue it will be implemented. Whether that resolution is a big or small problem to implement, neither of us know as we are not Adobe developers.

We should though be directing some of these comments to the owners of those applications that are outputing non-compliant TIFFs, not just to Adobe who are closing the security loophole.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@davescm, absolutely agree with you.
I had a problem with TIF files generated by the PatchTool utility (BabelColor), I contacted the author, helped him establish contact with the Adobe staff. After being given all the necessary technical information, he was able to quickly resolve the problem:

2021-11-06_20-16-57.png

As I understand it, the problem is that third-party software developers do not keep track of current TIF specifications- in certain situations this can be a serious security problem (so serious that Adobe removed all versions of Photoshop older than 22.5. that supported working with such files). At the same time, the solution of the problem on the part of Adobe is more complicated - since they do not know all the parameters that were used to create the TIF file, they need to fully analyze the file, carry out a number of calculations to add the missing attributes so that, on the one hand, bring it to the standard, and on the other hand, preserve its integrity (I admit that the solution they implement will not provide full compatibility with 100% of tif files). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have great idea since this problem you raised in the original post affects you as well as many of us. You, as an author of this thread, to support Adobe developers in solving Tiff security issue may every once a while update your starting post of applications the users mentinoed in their posts that still don't work with latest release of Photoshop and those that already do, like one you now announced. There would be 2 lists. White and Black, you or some other ACP would update as well as move a 'black' item to 'white' items when the application form black list has been finally addapted to work with Photoshop 2022 (in context of Tiffs). Something like:

White List:

- PatchTool utility (BabelColor)

Black list:

- some application
- some other application
-
-
-

You could also write in your first post the contact to Adobe developers (maybe there is a chance for some dedicated one for this matter?), so the users from here could contact the other applications providers to bring their attention at this topic and possibility for co-working (in the background) with Adobe. Still Photoshop developers would try to find their solution independly, but ine the meantime other brands would join the action to alternatively make their programs compatible with present requiements.

Ps. the listed items can be posted as hyperlinks, changed to name of the program they represent

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Photoshop 2022 and have a MacMini running OS Monterey on the M1 processor chip. Photoshop is giving me a message that it can not open a tiff file because it does not recognize the file type.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@davescm

"We should though be directing some of these comments to the owners of those applications that are outputing non-compliant TIFFs, not just to Adobe who are closing the security loophole."

Right, and as far as I'm concerned, I've made two review requests myself, to two manufacturers of the software I work with. Adobe is just one more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Verto 

Spot on ! 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jazz-y 

A couple more "no problems" to add to the list :

Blender (saved with no compression)

World Creator 2

Techsmith Snagit

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a user of 22.5.2 and have not had any issues opening TIFF files generated by Deepskystacker and Starnet++

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Colin5E09 can you specify the versions of both programs so I can tag them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deepskystacker 4.2.6 and Starnet++ 1.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some TIF files that are not recognized by Ps 2022 that were OK for previous versions of Ps. Specifically, TIF files produced by ON1 NoNoise cannot be recognized by Ps 2022 (23.0.0 Release). My previous version of Ps (22.5.1) recognized the TIF file.

Bridge 2022 (Version 12.0.0.234) can recognize the TIF file including sending the file to Camera Raw (Version 14.0.0.950) as well as successfully exporting the file.

LrC 2022 (11.0 Release) can import, develop, and export the file. Microsoft Paint can also recognize the file.

My workaround is to export NoNoise processed images to PSD but why is Ps 2022 so confused by the TIF files? I doubt that ON1 NoNoise is producing bogus TIF files.

Adobe Photoshop Version: 23.0.0 20211013.r.36 623993d x64
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
Version: 10 or greater 10.0.19043.1288

I found this article that indicates that Photoshop versions 22.5.2 and higher may not open some third party generated TIF files beacuase of security vulnerabilities. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot!

I think downgrading may temporarily help. Security is everybody's conern but if Adobe will set aside all files generated by geneuine programs, then it does not make any sense. For example, I must use some scintific programs to generate my images. Same would be true for all mediacal professionals for taking pictures with high-resolution. Finally, if security is the issue, why Illustrator is opening it? This bug must be fixed. 

Regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downgraded to version 22.5.2 and now I can open those pictures. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to highlight the issue to the owner of the application that is outputting tiff files that do not conform to the full tiff specification. Adobe have closed a security hole that can be exploited through non conforming files.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same exact thing is happening to me...adobe please lighten up we dont need so much security were all paying a good amount of money yearly for your app not to be able to open a simple tif file....extremley dissapointed and awating a solution asap ..time

= $

This is wonr because there is a problem with Starnett++ version 1.1 i cannot open any of the Tif files created by this program. this is extremley frustrating as this program is essential to my astrophotagraphy editing process. We need a fix asap as everything was working fine then all of a sudden POOF! it stopped working PLEASE HELP! 😞 i cannot use a third party app as it messes with the meta data and in this style of photography every bit and every bit of data counts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@defaultjnfyeig92uik The issue is that your "simple tif file" is not compliant with the full tiff specification, if it was, Photoshop would open it. Please raise it with the owners of the third party app which is outputing such a tif.

Adobe have made the change to close a backdoor security loophole. Now that backdoor is well known, you can guarantee that the malware producers will be exploiting it. You're absolutely right that "time = $" which is why you really don't want such a security issue to hit your system.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then how Adobe Illustrator is opening the same file? It is not about one software. I downloaded some .jpg files from internet which could be opened in several other softwares including Illustrator but not Photoshop. I am sorry but this is going to reduce the productivity. I doubt if it is a security issue or it is a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if it is a security issue, Photoshop should give option to the user if the s/he trusts the file. How can one think the the third party can update their software overnight?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problematic TIF files seem flagged only by the latest releases of Ps. The latest releases of LrC and Bridge have no issue with the TIFs. Here is the workaround I use:

1.  To open a single problematic TIF file (or a few) set Bridge's Camera Raw Preferences>File Handling to 'Automatically open all supported TIFFs'. This will allow Bridge to first invoke Camera Raw before passing to Photoshop.
  2. To process many problematic TIF files convert them to a supported format by creating a Bridge Export preset that exports to a new TIF file. The Camera Raw Preferences do not need to be altered to use this option.

See the attached for more details:

Screenshot 2021-11-07 163318.jpgScreenshot 2021-11-07 163413.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not Adobe's bug. The third-party developers will need to fix their programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As suggested, we will inform the third party developers but they may take time to revise their softwares. Even it they do it, what about millions or trillions of TIF and JPG stock photos available on internet? But I like the idea given by Wolf Eilers to manage the situation for a few months. If situation permits, Adobe should do something like what they do for fonts. Adobe first analyzes the fonts and then suggests to update. Similarly, it can first open the TIF or JPG file and then suggest to update the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I downloaded some .jpg files from internet which could be opened in several other softwares including Illustrator but not Photoshop"

This is not about jpeg it is about TIFF. The usual reason for non conforming jpegs is that the file header is incorrect or the file is not actually a jpeg (despite the extension). You would need to open the file header to find out.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate