• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 25.2 & up Could not complete the assign profile command because the ICC profile invalid

Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ICC input profiles that work in PS 2023 open an invaild error in PS 2024 and cannot be assigned.

Link to profile could not attach .icc file.

https://we.tl/t-h1VaDrYqox

Thank you.

David Remington

{Thread title renamed by moderator}

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Dec 20, 2023 Dec 20, 2023

The team is looking into this now. Thanks for sharing the details. 

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
63 Comments
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Im running into a lil problem when wanting to open a file to edit on photoshop. Ive looked everywhere and i cannont find a solution, i have a macbook pro and recently updated software. after updating software i started running into this pronblem, i also have the new 2024 photoshop... it says 

"The embedded ICC profile cannot be used because the ICC profile version is not supported.  Ignoring the profile." 

i would really appreciate it if i can get some help from the Adobe Community!Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 3.44.11 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 17, 2023 Oct 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wenn ich eine Datei in Camera Raw bearbeitet habe und sie dann in Photoshop (Version 25.0 ) öffnen will bekomme ich folgenden Hineis: "ICC-Profil kann nicht eingebettet werden weil das ICC-Profil ungültig ist. Das Profil wird ignoriert."

Das ist der Fall seit ich auf Camera Raw  v 16.0 aktualisiert habe.

Um meine Datei in Photoshop weiter bearbeiten zu können muss ich die Anwendung schließen, und die Datei in Camera Raw erneut öffnen.

Photoshop (Version 25.0 )

Camera Raw  v 16.0

Windows 11

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 19, 2023 Oct 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @Augustin Bras. Welcome to the Photoshop Community. I'll help you figure this out.

Are you using an external monitor with the MBP? Does this happen with a specific series of documents, or do all documents behave similarly when opened in Photoshop?

This could sometimes be related to a corrupted monitor color profile. Try changing the color profile for your MacBook or the external display: https://adobe.ly/48UklyB

Keep Photoshop closed while you do this.

Thanks!
Sameer K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you are on a Mac, you can use the following native SIPS command in terminal.app to remove the profile from the image (work on a duped file until you are comfortable):

sips -d profile 

Ensure that there is a space after "profile " and then drag the image into the terminal.app window to complete the path to the file and then press return to execute the command.

There is also a ColorSync AppleScript (paste the following AppleScript into Apple Script Editor and compile Script > Compile and then File > Save or File > Export). If you save it as an .app you can then drag files onto the app to remove the ICC profile:

(*
Remove
©2009 Apple, Inc.

Use sips to remove embedded profile and color management data from an image.
*)

on run
	display dialog "Remove the embedded profile from an image."
	set chosenFile to choose file with prompt "Choose an image " default location path to desktop folder
	open chosenFile
end run

on open draggedItems
	repeat with thisFile in (draggedItems as list)
		try
			-- use 'sips -d profile' to remove an embedded profile
			-- or use 'sips -d profile --deleteColorManagementProperties' to remove an embedded profile and other color related info
			set filePath to quoted form of POSIX path of thisFile
			set cmdLine to ("sips -d profile --deleteColorManagementProperties " & filePath) as string
			do shell script cmdLine
		end try
	end repeat
end open

For Windows, I would recommend downloading and installing ExifTool (also available for the Mac):

exiftool -icc_profile:all= 

Ensure that there is a space after "all=  " and then drag the image into the CMD.exe window to complete the path to the file and then press return to execute the command.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2023 Oct 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing similar symptoms, so there may be a bug.
What model of camera and data format are you using?
No symptoms occur with Canon's R6II CR3.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-%E3%83%87%E3%82%B9%E3%82%AF%E3%83%88%E3%83%83%E3%83%97-mobi...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 22, 2023 Oct 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ich habe eine E0S 90D 

Das Dateiformat ist CR3 mit zugehöriger XMP-Datei

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2023 Nov 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using custom icc profiles for images using assign profile and this has worked great until updated to 25.2 30 Nov 2023. After the update my custom icc profiles do not appear in the list. I have an action that assigns the correct profile and when I use the action I get the invalid icc profile message...although this could be because Photoshop is not seeing them any longer.

Why are my icc and icm profiles not displaying in the Photoshop assign or convert profile list?

Thanks,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2023 Nov 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I went back to Photoshop 25.1 the profiles work again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2023 Dec 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to version 25.2 yesterday and got persistent 'Invalid Profile' messages when using my ICC profile intensive workflow, specifically when assigning a scanner profile to an image.

I updated to v 25.3 this morning and i had the same issue.

Going back to v 25.1 fixes the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, @David29028790hcy4. Thanks for adding the profiles. You've tagged Windows & macOS. We'll need more info. Please share a sample PSD & the system info from Photoshop Help > System info > Copy & paste into a text document > upload & attach here. 

Also, include a screenshot of the error you see. Photoshop 25.3.1 just went live recently, check if the issue exists.

Thanks!

Sameer K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, @Chris_Giclee. Thanks for sharing the details. We'll need more info. Please share the system info from Photoshop Help > System info > Copy & paste into a text document > upload & attach here. 

I'll move this to discussions for now. If possible, share the ICC profiles & a video showing the workflow. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks!

Sameer K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2023 Dec 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sameer, I tagged it with the OS because posts required a tag and there was not one that specifically fit this bug. This error pops up in the latest PS 25.3.1. It does not happen in older versions. I use the extended support 24.7.2 as backup. I have spoked to several colleagues and they confirm this bug happens with all or most input profiles. Screenshot 2023-12-16 at 9.06.11 AM.pngHere is a link to the system info text file and a PSD image. You can use any RGB image to test. Use Edit>Assign Profile...

https://we.tl/t-h0AQ5Ix3f0

Thank you.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 20, 2023 Dec 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The team is looking into this now. Thanks for sharing the details. 

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Sameer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running Photoshop 25.3 and latest Mac OS

Trying to use edit with Photoshop from Mac Photos - always worked but today I got the below error when trying to edit with an Apple ProRaw Photo shot in Night Mode:

Screenshot 2023-12-21 at 11.32.11 AM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 22, 2023 Dec 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Sameer 

i am having a similar problem. i am exporting a phase one file using the Icc profile in capture one.  Now photoshop 2024 is saying it cant open the Tiff file. this has literally happened overnight.  how can i open these files now ?  and why has one adobe update caused this problem ?

any advise woul;d be great

best 

peter 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sameer K this has happened before - this thread has some accepted solutions back in 2017:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/the-embedded-icc-profile-cannot-be-us...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

those are windows based solutions but not Mac based

I have the recommendedcolor profile set but still get t he error message

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Mark30Croton the team is escalating. It's affecting both Mac and Windows - the older post is not the same issue apparently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 25, 2023 Dec 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2023-12-25 141252.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also Bild öffnen, unten auf diesen Bild Link klicken und dann bei Workflow den Farbraum auf sRGB ändern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@David29028790hcy4 

Is this what we should be seeing with your link?

janee_0-1703515937898.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2024 Jan 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that is the file delivery sevice we use. Looks like the oorhinal link I posted to the icc profile expired. I can repost. PSD file link is still active. 

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2024 Jan 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jane-e There isn't much more we can do on our end. The team has acknowledged its an issue they need to resolve with the Adobe Color Engine.

Votes

Translate

Translate