• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: "Save As" no longer appear with second monitors or Sidecar running after update to macOS Monterey

Participant ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Save As" no longer works after update to Mac Monterey OS

When I try to "Save As" I get no result. Normally a dialog box will pop up with format / file location options but it's no longer happening. I am trying to save a .psd file as a .psd file. 

I have tried going to File / Save As and also the cmd/shift/S keyboard shortcut

I am also seeing this behavior in InDesign, but the Save As command works in Illustrator.

Mac OS Monterey 12.0.1

Mac Mini 2018

Thanks!

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

New Here , Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

I chatted with support and worked through this issue for Photoshop by resetting my preferences.

Also, I use multiple screens and CS said to unplug my external monitors. With my monitors unplugged I went through the steps via link below:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

For Acrobat, I left the moniters unplugged and went through the steps of unchecking a couple of boxes in the preferences that were specified in another thread.  I think everything is fixed now. I wanted to pos

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Oct 30, 2021 Oct 30, 2021

We're working on this issue with Apple. If you're still in this state, you can capture a Sysdiagnose log with the following instructions to share: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/59917/how-do-you-get-system-diagnostic-files-from-macos  You can DM a link to your Sysdiagnose log.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Fixed.  I'm running a 2nd NEC monitor that I use as my main screen. Changed the prefs to have the iMac as the main screen, then changed back, and now all dialog boxes are showing as normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

We'll investigate this with Apple. Thanks for reporting!

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 223 Replies 223
223 Comments
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since latest update, I am having several issues to save my work (Save as/ Save a copy) the dialog does not appear or when it appears, does not show the file path to select where to save it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The title says it all.

All save and export functionality locally does not work. Changing PS version from 23.0.1 to any 22 does not change the bug.

Same issue in Illustrator as well.

Please help, I need to save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacOS 12.0.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disconnecting or possibly switching around your second display is the workaround. Read through the thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an additional data point, I have a second display on my 2015 15" iMac 4k, connected via HDMI adaptor to Thunderbolt 2 port, and do not have this issue. Internal display is the primary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only consistent solution for me was making my Mac (Macbook Pro 2019) the primary monitor in System Preferences. If I change it, save dialogs disappear no matter where I drag the Photoshop window.

Not ideal, but works for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to pile on, both PS 2021 and 2022, M1 Max 16" MBP + external 30" Apple Cinema Display, Monterey 12.0.1 and same issue just drove me nuts until I found a Twitter thread where someone said they changed their primary display. Dragged the menubar to my internal screen and was getting Save As/Export dialogs again, but broken (most UI stuff missing). Quit Default Folder X and restarted Photoshop and THEN had complete dialogs. So for me, it was a couple things, but the primary issue was the primary display setting. Is this an Apple or Adobe fix we have to wait for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not work for me. Changing MacBookPro to the main screen solves it, but changing it back the problem persists (it also persists in TextEdit, btw).  Keeping the MacBookPro as the main screen presents a host of other problems including InDesign and Photoshop frames on the wrong monitor, dock placement, and everything opening on the MacBookPro instead of the monitor I actually use for everything. 

This is a crazy problem to have for a graphic designer who opens/closes/saves hundreds of photos a day and NEEDS to work on the BIG monitor!!  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE FIX IT ADOBE/APPLE!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the screen preference did not work for me. Changing MacBookPro to the main screen solves it temporarily, but changing it back the problem persists (it also persists in TextEdit, btw).  Keeping the MacBookPro as the main screen presents a host of other problems including InDesign and Photoshop frames on the wrong monitor, dock placement, and everything opening on the MacBookPro instead of the monitor I actually use for everything. 

This is a crazy problem to have for a graphic designer who opens/closes/saves hundreds of photos a day and NEEDS to work on the BIG monitor!!  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE FIX IT ADOBE/APPLE!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, that worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Estou com o Photoshop 23.0.0, e estou com problema para a exportação ou salvamento de arquivos para o computador. Quando solicita a tarefa ele não realiza nenhum função.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installed today's update - 23.0.1 - reverted my secondary display back to being my primary display  - restarted Mac to be thorough (running Monterey 12.0.1) - launch Photoshop - open .psd - File > Save As..., aaaaand nothing happens....

TL:DR - 23.0.1 bugfix does not address this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further note - I am using a Thunderbolt HDMI adapter made by Apple on a 2019 16" Macbook Pro i9

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, the update has been out for a while, and did not mention a fix for that issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, just giving context to the circumstance so the team is aware - I wasn't prompted to update until today.  The release notes within the creative cloud app only mentioned "bugfixes".  You'd think a functionality as fundamental as saving documents would be higher on the priority list.  I think V1 of Photoshop 31 years ago likely had a functional "save" button LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just restarted and before starting any adobe apps I made sure my main monitor is my Laptopscreen. So far for the moment it is working again, I hope following updates fix it up all together. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may well be a bug that Apple has to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Save as" is not working for me in photoshop 2022 version 23.0.1 on Mac OS Monterey. The option is not greyed out, but nothing happens when I click it or use the normal shortcut

I've uninstalled and reinstalled, and tried removing the Settings file by holding alt+cmd+shift upon startup. That did produce one change, but ultimately didn't allow me to "save as" - after resetting the settings, when i selected "save as" a popup came up asking if i would like to save to the cloud or to my computer. after selecting my computer, nothing further happened. it would not "save as" anything

I've gone through this a few times with slight variation and nothing has worked. Hoping to get back to work soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have my laptop connected to a large monitor. Disconnecting it for every save isn't really a feasible option for me though, the large monitor is necessary for my work.

Looks like I should just roll the whole thing back to Big Sur? I assume this will eventually get fixed for Monterey

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the very least, update to 23.0.2 which was released today. That said, I do not see this issue, which Adobe knows about, being addressed in the update notes. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug is really serious and wastes precious time of CC power users.

Adobe, when will it be fixed? Not only in Photoshop, but also in Illustrator and InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Switch your primary display to your built-in display (System Preferences > Displays — drag the gray menu bar strip from your external monitor to your internal screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is one workaround, but then everything i open just pops up on the built in display which i don't really use and is hidden by tons of crap on my desk, so that is also pretty annoying

I wish adobe would just fix the bug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's probably quicker to clean your desk a bit than wait on Adobe/Apple to fix things if you just need to save a file, just saying. 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate