• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

BUG: Playback in timeline wont stop when moving at double speed or more (v22)

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the newest update (v22) of premiere pro, when you shuttle right in the sequence at double speed, (or more) the playback won't stop, even when shuttle stop is pressed. Adobe premiere acts normally otherwise, (you can save and quit) but it will still keep playing at that speed. Even closing the sequence doesn't make it stop. You have to close out of the app and then re open the project.
Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Editing and playback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Hi All,
Sorry for this issue. If possible, please share project/media files(& screen recording) that reproduce this issue consistently at your end. Not all users are facing this issue, and so far we haven't seen any solid repro of this bug internally, so a confirmed repro case will help us expedite fixing this problem. Meanwhile, we will continue to look at it.

Happy to help,
Mayjain

Votes

Translate

Translate
78 Comments
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah its not perfect, but trust me, its 100x worse on windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is some work in this direction. I hope the long-awaited nuisance will be eliminated in the next update. Here is a review, check out:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/premiere-pro-2022-freezes-when-speeding-up-p...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is annoying. Sometimes I just have to sit and wait for it to play the whole sequence before it stops. iMac Pro (2017) 128GB Ram, 18-Core Intel Xeon W.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

22.4 and still broken. I've been on this thread since 22.0. This is absolutely pathetic and atrocious Adobe. I mean, my god, this is bad. This is quite literally a function intrinsic to Analog film editing. Get a grip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopping on the bugtrain. I searched hours for not finding any solution. And 've been seeing this bug popping up since 2017....

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

22.6.0 Beta did not fixe the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far the only real solution I've found is using DaVinci Resolve instead of Premiere. In Resolve, I can play back smoothly at 16x, and I haven't even needed to create proxies or optimized media to do so. So it's obviously not an issue with drive speed or hardware, it's something to do with the way Adobe is using the timeline and playback monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is driving me crazy. I do a lot of double speed watching, because I'm combing through hours and hours of documentary footage. When the playback gets stuck and I can't stop it, I start to tear my hair out. And I don't have much hair left on top of my head at this point. I'm very upset that one user reports that even 22.6 Beta did not fix the problem. How can this be happening????? I will consider switching to Resolve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as this horrible bug isn't fixed, 15.4 still works OK, you can downgrade

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the most annoying bugs (Amongst the countless others) in Premiere.
Premiere existed since 1991, you'd think 31 YEARS is enough time to figure out how to get smooth playback in their video editing software.

Premiere is nearly as old as I am, yet constant bugs like these still exist that I wouldn't even expect in freeware software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will the freeze at double the viewing speed in the program monitor be fixed? This error has been going on since v. 22.0. No results so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug has just got worse for me since updating to the latest 2022. Please can we get a fix for this asap, i'm paying £50 a month and i'm currently not able to do my job. Major issue when using multicam sequences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Need to be able to playback at higher speeds in a multicam sequence, gets stuck playing and can't stop it without force closing the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please fix this! This is the wrench being thrown in my gears while editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug have al least 10 years. I'ts been a bug that they don't care to fix. 

Having the same problem but playing at regular speed.

Here is a 2014 post about it. You can see they don't care at all. 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/fast-playback-multicam-won-t-stop-until-end-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i've been following threads for this issue since 2014
Almost 10 years later it is still unreasolved

I'm not going to waist even more time talking about what hardware i have or how many monitors i use or even what format my video is at

JUST FIX IT

And since i'm rumbling please ALSO fix premiere crushing when you forget to switch language to english when searching for a font

Mod note: post was moved into the bug report describing the issue. Off-topic commentary was removed. Upvote the bug in the upper-right of the page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why is compeditive products off topic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2023 Mar 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't just a double speed problem. It's happening to me in 23.2 at normal speed in a multicam sequence that's 7.5hrs long with 4 "cameras" (one mostly blank), and also happened on a 4hr long project a few months back with 3 "cameras."

It's not my hardware. I migrated the project to a Gen 4 NVMe drive on a freshly built Z790 mobo with a 13600K, single-channel 32GB DDR5 6000MT/s CL30 and a RTX 4070 Ti and it still happens frequently. It's absolutely maddening to work with then the program just won't do what the hell you tell it to... especially trying to get through a 7.5hr runtime. Issues like this are pushing me to take a hard look at DaVinci, frankly. I've found reports of this behavior going back to 2017, which is ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, same here, I'm considering leaving Adobe after 15 years using it. Lattest versions have been a hell to work with, full of new bugs and bugs like this that have been more than 10 years in the software and they don't care to fix it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the worst bug I constantly run into. It locks up for several minutes sometimes. It's usually followed by not being able to use up or down arrows to navigate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This turned Premiere into unusable garbage for me. I just subscribed and I cannot use this software, terrible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 01, 2023 Apr 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nick5C9D_0-1680361316958.png

I noticed that when the multicam editing crahses (doesnt stop playing, and prepiere is not responsive) one ot the cores is working at 100%)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been a problem for years. It usually leads to a crash and the cut points don't get saved until you pause so you can loose so much work every single time you want to pause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These bugs are so insufferable. I'm editing in a Multicam and the playback will NOT PAUSE when I need to edit!! I have to WAIT till the entire video is finished before I can even do anything in premiere pro. Come on guys, if it wasn't for the fact that I don't know how to use DaVinci all that well, I would already be switching -___-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this exact same problem. A month ago I was at least able to cut at a decent speed on my m1 macbook pro but not infuriatingly that has ALSO ceased to stop. Every time I restart the application I can get about 4-5 minutes into my cutting before I notice that the timecode starts to jitter and then that's when I lose the ability to cut or switch camera angles on my multicam sequence. I've tried completely rebuilding my project file, deleting all the peak files and temp files that I can find and the problem persists. I'm a little mindblown that theres not workaround to this. Not sure if anyone else has found a solution yet. I'm going to try reverting to ver22 because I can't find anything else earlier still avalible for download...

Votes

Translate

Translate