• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

BUG: Playback in timeline wont stop when moving at double speed or more (v22)

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the newest update (v22) of premiere pro, when you shuttle right in the sequence at double speed, (or more) the playback won't stop, even when shuttle stop is pressed. Adobe premiere acts normally otherwise, (you can save and quit) but it will still keep playing at that speed. Even closing the sequence doesn't make it stop. You have to close out of the app and then re open the project.
Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Editing and playback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Hi All,
Sorry for this issue. If possible, please share project/media files(& screen recording) that reproduce this issue consistently at your end. Not all users are facing this issue, and so far we haven't seen any solid repro of this bug internally, so a confirmed repro case will help us expedite fixing this problem. Meanwhile, we will continue to look at it.

Happy to help,
Mayjain

Votes

Translate

Translate
78 Comments
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2023 Apr 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Regular playback, not fast. After few minutes of multicam editing, problem occures. At first, only for few seconds, but constatntly prolonging the time for stop. And sudden cannot stop at all.
Working with prores 422 proxy files. 5 angles.
version 23.2 on win10 (update-to-date)
specs: i9-10900K 128GB GeForceRTX 3080
SSDdisk system and data drive
Blackmagic intensity Pro 4K preview card

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to 23.3 yesterday. And I must say that since then I am able to edit multicam much more smoothly. It happened several times (maybe 3 times) that I could not stop the playback for a few seconds (1-5 sec). It's still not OK, but luckily I don't have to wait for the entire timeline to run.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try to turn off audio meters - sometimes its helps.

Many ppl says - 23.0 dosnt have this bug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, I reverted back to 23.0 just to get my work done. Had to sacrifice some work but I'll upgrade after a couple more updates I guess

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here on 23.3. Been happening for months. Seems to happen more often on the new (faster) computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 02, 2023 May 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing it on 23.3.0. Been having the issue on and off since I started using premiere 3 years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 05, 2023 May 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this happening as well sometimes. Not sure what the exact circumstances have to be to reproduce though.

Maybe @Kevin-Monahan could take a look at this thread?

Having to close the project whenever this happens is pretty annoying but at least one can still save the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 06, 2023 May 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Chris,

Are you seeing this in a multicamera sequence or a plain vanilla one? If so, is the computer powerful enough to handle all the video streams? What is the format, then? Hope you're well.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 07, 2023 May 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kevin-Monahan Machine is an M1 Max in my case which is powerful enough to play the timeline. And the issue as describedd is not something that should matter if the machine is powerful enough or not. The playback should just stop when one presses `k` or `space bar`. But the user experience is that it just keep playing and does not stop unless the program is completely closed.

Whether it is a Multi Cam or Regular Sequence I currently can't remember as I do both types of editing often.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the updated info. I have not actually experienced the bug you and others mentioned in my own testing and in editing personal projects. It's not affecting everyone, just some people on certain projects with certain workflows. That is why I asked for more info to see if I could replicate the problem on my ARM-based Mac or one of my PCs. So far, I can't. If we could get verified steps on how to reproduce the issue, it would be helpful. That way, the engineers could get this "sometimes" bug fixed. Weird that we can't find a way to recreate the situation where the bug occurs.

Sorry for the frustration you and others are experiencing on this one. It's a puzzling situation.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It only happens when I edit a multicam in 4K. Notice the two essentials: 4K and multicam.

I am on Win 11 Pro

i9-11900H @ 2.50 GHz

32GB ram @ 1600 MHz

RTX 3080 laptop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin and others, I think it's great that there are now eyes on this.

I will see when the issue pops up again and report back.

But when others find out what it is about please keep sharing (thanks @Blikopener).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Blikopener,

Thanks for the added details. I hope you're well today.

I can test with a similar system, my laptop has similar specs. I do need to make the leap to Windows 11, is all. I have access to a variety of test media.

What is the media you are using? The more precise specs you can give about the media, the better. The camera you are using. The codec of the media. Its frame rate. Does the media have a variable frame rate? Is it 4:2:2, 4:2:0, or 4:4:4? Is it 8-bit or 10-bit? Run the media through the freeware called MediaInfo and post a screenshot, if you have time. I'd also love to know how many streams are in the multicam source sequence. These are the particulars I would neeed to know so I can test the issue to provide feedback to the Premiere Pro team. Briefly, I am in support and not on the team, but I can provide the repeatable steps to pass along for them so they can take action. Sorry for the frustration, by the way. Have a great Monday!

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Chris. I hope we can nail this one down with more info. Take care.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,
Sorry for this issue. If possible, please share project/media files(& screen recording) that reproduce this issue consistently at your end. Not all users are facing this issue, and so far we haven't seen any solid repro of this bug internally, so a confirmed repro case will help us expedite fixing this problem. Meanwhile, we will continue to look at it.

Happy to help,
Mayjain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @Chris Spiegl - Hello @Blikopener - @mayjain -

I brought up the issue at the tech meeting with the engineering staff today and they said to check the 23.5 Beta for a potential fix. You can run this version side by side with the current version, so you can test it out while maintaining the integrity of your current project. Give it a whirl if you have a moment.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2023 Jul 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and it also ignores In and Out points in the Source Monitor with Loop Playback - also will not update Loop Playback when dynamically changing I / O Points - doesn't work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2023 Jul 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why does the media format matter? shouldn't it just play back correctly? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 20, 2023 Dec 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the exact same issue with any multicams regardless of camera count 2-24 doesn't matter, when I start it is fie to go x2 speed with ulticam view on, but after 10-20 minutes I will hit play and won't be able to do anything at all, and the worst part is that all cameras are butter smooth and there is a clear sound, just no control at all, so I know that my machine is good enough to play all of them in multicam view.

But I was trying to counter it and nothing works, except one thing, it's very inconvinient to set up but I wil try to add dead space on my timeline every 2-3 minutes, I will just paste insert adjustement layer on video track above my nest, step forward many and insert it again and till the end of my timeline (step forward many can be adjusted from 5 frames to 3 minutes, and for timeline of 13 hours that is a work for autohotkey or any script app)

and when I got all timeline mangled with all those adjustment layers I will delete this track in wich adjustment layer sits and I got myself a dead space to change something enough to not have this issue, I think it's somehow affected by cache that premiere creates and those blank spots allow it to relax and, I honestly have no idea but it works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clarification: it's not fixing it 100% it's more like instead of closing premiere you would need to wait 1,5 minutes but you'll retain your progress and can save it, also for me if 3-5 presses of space do nothing I'll start to hit Command+S or CTRL+S and when premiere gets back it will show me saving dialog window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: sorry you can forget that method, it's not working for me after 1-2H of editing, seems like it only delays this bug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fwiw: after working on an old version of like premiere 22 for like a year now, I tested updating to 24.03 and at least for my timeline its been working pretty solid for a week or so. Fingers crossed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly I can still report that this is a reality. It heavily depends on the video files, often the codec, and effects on the audio timelines. All those things play a role in the playback getting hung up or not.

But when it happens, it is incredibly annoying when you can't stop playback.

I just wish it would overall be more solid and reliable so that these type of things just don't happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 02, 2024 Jan 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing happening for me. Yes, it's an older project that I have not touched for yeas and very long and instensive, but geez, this thing ought to be fixed by now, no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem with version 24.1.0 build 24 running in an M2 MacBook Pro. Is there a fix or a version that can be reverted to to address this? It is virtually impossible to edit with this bug. 

Votes

Translate

Translate