• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FIXED issue: Text-Based Editing - clips reset to first frame after relink in 23.4

Adobe Employee ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue has been fixed in 23.5 which is now available.  Please update to get the fix.

We are aware of an issue in Premiere Pro version 23.4: when transcribed clips in a timeline are taken offline and relinked, clips shift and reset to the first frame. Effects, transitions, and speed changes can also be removed or impacted.  Our engineers understand the problem well, and we are testing fixes internally right now.  We have put a fix into Public Beta and will get the fix into an official release ASAP.  I will update this post with more details as soon as I learn them.

If you are experiencing this problem:

If you get the media relinking dialog in 23.4 and you have previously used transcription, close and do not save the project. Make a backup of your project file just to be safe.

Workaround #1 – Restore media

1. Put the media back in its original location so no relinking is required.

* There are many cases where this is not possible; try one of the following:

Workaround #2 – Beta

1. Download Premiere Pro beta version 23.6.0 build 02 or later
  2. Open in beta, reconnect the media, and ensure the sequence looks correct.
  3. You may choose to just work in Beta –or– save and open in 23.4

Workaround #3 – XML

1. Export XML (File > Export > Final Cut Pro XML) from the original system that has properly connected media.
  2. Import the XML into a new project on the new system and reconnect the media

* Please take note – not all aspects of the sequence will be reproduced by the XML

Workaround #4 – revert to Premiere Pro 23.3

1. Open Creative Cloud Desktop app
  2. Click on All Apps
  3. Find Premiere Pro
  4. From the three dots on the right, choose “Other versions”
  5. Choose 23.3
Bug Fixed Locked
TOPICS
Editing and playback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 12, 2023 Jun 12, 2023

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

Hello, 
This issue is fixed in Premiere Pro v23.5, which will be available the week of June 17. 

Regards,

Fergus

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 214 Replies 214
214 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had this issue happen again. I'm on the most recent version of Premiere. Please help! I need to get something to my client tomorrow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It helps to be so kind as to include the actual version number from the About screen, rather than 'most  recent version'. If you've been thru it before, then you knew to not save the project in that state.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just wondering when we will know when it's actually safe to update to the newest version. Some people report it's not fixed, but are they correct or not? I'm gunshy now but would someday like to take advantage of the new features. Can anyone confirm beyond doubt that this bug will not re-occur with a project that never touched 23.4?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood. They said it's fixed, so, I think the chances are good. At least it's easy to spot, and close it out right away. Also, the problem when we don't know for sure what version # a person is referencing. They said 23.5 fixed it, and we are on 23.6 currently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make a backup of your project before you upgrade it. Or create a blank project in 23.6 and import your older project into it. That will protect the original and if you encounter problems you can downgrade back to your old version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 17, 2023 Aug 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, THIS ISSUE HAS NOT BEEN FIXED. I am on version 23.6 and it just happened to me on a project I have been working on for the past month. None of the workarounds work for me and I've spent the last 3 hours trouble shooting trying to fix it. I've put about 40 hours into the editing this project so far with 10 hours of interviews and I lost all my editing for those interviews which were cut down from 10 hours to 1.5 hours at the time the bug occurred and it looks like I will have to start all over with my client deadline in 2 weeks. I am furious and exhausted. It is unacceptable that this bug is still in a non-beta version of Premiere. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2023 Aug 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can’t believe this is still happening. Following this since I had issues
and lost weeks of work 2 months ago and downgraded is enraging. Adobe,
figure this out! Completely unacceptable this was dropped on your users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 21, 2023 Aug 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Months later - I am still having this bug. I've just inherited a drive from another editor and the media is incorrectly pointing to the wrong timecodes. I've tried opening it in previous versions. I do not know what to do at this stage... I have a client deadline this evening. Is there a real fix that works?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2023 Aug 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone is still having this issue, it's because you're opening a project that was converted to 23.4. Upgrading to 23.5 or .6 after that will NOT fix the issue once it's occurred; you have to go back and open a project file or autosave that was still in v23.3 or earlier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 22, 2023 Aug 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is not remotely fixed. I have the same issue over and over again when working on different Macs. I have followed the recommended steps with no success. My music audio track is using the wrong in and out points across a project. Hours of work are lost. It's absolutely unacceptable that the issue is so present. One more reason that our studio is considering moving to Davinci Resolve if this is not fixed asap! 

Pr - 23.5

OS - Ventura V 13.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find a solution to this? I'm having the same issue!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Premiere are you working in ... 23.x ... what?

And is this a project started in that version, or brought forward from an earlier one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pr - 23.5

OS - Ventura V 13.4

More than likely brought froward as this project was handed over from a freelancer. It works perfectly fine on my office Mac, but the issue is on my home Mac. Both are running the same Pr versions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 05, 2023 Sep 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue is NOT FIXED. This project-breaking error is quite awful. It's already awful when you lose a day's worth of work because of a bug; it's another thing to corrupt a file like this, and lose weeks' worth of work. None of these suggestions have worked for me. I am on a Mac Retina 5K 2017, MacOS Monterey, and I ran into this error on PremierePro version 23.6; downgrading to 23.3 did not work, nor did exporting an XML. To my knowledge, the project files and media clips have never moved from their original spot, nor ever needed to be relinked. Truly, I closed it last week, and it was working, I opened it up today and it's messed up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2023 Sep 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What changed on your system between then and now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 06, 2023 Sep 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To my knowledge, no changes happened to the computer itself. I did not update any software until I ran into this issue. I tried opening it in v23.3, v23.6, v22.6.4, and I downgraded the project and tried it on v15.4.5. It also seems to have affected all of the most recent autosaves (or the four most recent files, I want to have a few untouched good files in case this gets fixed.). According to my co-workers, the hard drive was not taken out of my computer, although I do know that someone else found this error when I was out of the office, and there are a solid 5 days where I can't be positive it wasn't taken out of the computer or anything. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2023 Sep 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep in mind, the fix is so it doesn't happen anymore. Once a project was rearranged, if it was saved in that state, then that's the way the project is now. <<I want to have a few untouched good files in case this gets fixed.>> Have as many as you like, just make copies of them if you have a good one. Put them on multiple drives -- I have my AutoSaves an a different drive. So, the fix being in, means it doesn't happen anymore. But the projects with that error that are saved are not going to be set back to what they were.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2023 Sep 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I understand that, but why would opening the original file and saving it affect any of the past Autosaves? they're separate files, aren't they? Because the way it stands now, I have 100's of autosave files, from many hours, even days before this error occurred, yet when I open those autosave, they are also all reset. Why is a file that hasn't been opened since before the error occurred also corrupt? IDK. I'd open more autosaves to keep checking, but after 10+ files going back days, I assume they're all messed up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And that's under the assumption that one of my other workers saved the file when I was out of office. Because when I saw this error, I was sure not to save it in my project. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@John30219240o8y7,

Good questions. My understanding is that an Autosave from before corruption should not be a problem. But I do not know if a bad project that is auto-saved will have bad autosaves. Backup any autosaves before you open them. Although I think that there should be no problem as long as you don't save them. I would look at autosaves from before version 23.4. Did you have version 23.4 installed when this project was in use.

This was a bug with an identifiable cause that was fixed. It is not being reported by many users. And some of the users reporting it now are experiencing the old bug - they're using a file that was previously relinked and saved.

There's always the odd corrupt file.

As you are doing, I would try to understand whether it may have been previously corrupted. And if you're convinced it is not, I would file a new bug report with full details. For example, "I closed it last week, and it was working, I opened it up today and it's messed up." When you closed it, what version of PR was that? And when you opened it, same version?

I don't see a description of your symptoms that point to this bug. Were the assets that have bad in points transcribed?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 11, 2023 Sep 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue was not fixed. I am working now on 23.6 and I reopening a large documentary project with over 100 hours of footage and multiple rough cuts, and as I reopened and relinked all the footage, almost half of the sequences timecodes were completely messed up. All In and Out points removed, with every shot starting at the first frame of the shot. From reading this thread there looks like there is not much I can do to solve the problem, which sucks because I lost months of work because of a bug. 

Just wanted to put it out there that this issue is still relevant. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2023 Sep 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@adamkgcom,

I hear you. But there were MANY users affected by the bug reported in this thread, and I think we'd be hearing from more users if the bug was simply not fixed. Is this a related but different bug? Is it a subset of the original bug that is affecting only some users?

As I said to John in the post before yours:

"And if you're convinced it is [a bug], I would file a new bug report with full details. For example, "I closed it last week, and it was working, I opened it up today and it's messed up." When you closed it, what version of PR was that? And when you opened it, same version?

I don't see a description of your symptoms that point to this bug. Were the assets that have bad in points transcribed?"

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 12, 2023 Sep 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you to everyone letting us know you are still seeing issues in 23.5 and 23.6. We have identified the issue and are working on a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 12, 2023 Sep 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting that, Matt ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 25, 2023 Sep 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No can do the update with the corporate version we have. I'll spread the word, but this is ridiculous. How was this missed? Cost me a ton of time and now I'm slowing up downstream teams.

Votes

Translate

Translate