Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Strange and serious problem

Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2024 Apr 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day everyone,

like the subject states I have a very strange, but also serious problem with Premiere pro since I can't use it anymore.

I updated it to version 24.2.1 (build 2) and worked perfectly fine until last sunday April 14.

Updating to the latest version doesn't work, the Creative Cloud starts the update and then somehow kills my wifi and keeps doing that over and over until I stop the process.

The problem I have:

when editing a video file (.mp4) Premiere pro becomes very slow and saving the project this takes a long time. Whenever this happens my entire computer gets messed up and I am unable to shut down or restart. Only works with the power button.

After that my pc won't start anymore (stuck at post) or it takes a very long time to boot.

To get back into Windows I have to turn off my pc and disconnect the power for several minutes...

The project also is not always saved when the problem begins even though it does show it being saved.

I tried to render / export a video which usually takes around 1 or 2 hours and after about 45 mins it was at 45%.

But checking a while later my pc apparently got rebooted and no video file was created.

There were no error messages.

I have not changed anything in the way I am using Premiere pro, also nothing changed in my hardware or software. Only changed my GPU approximately 2 months ago.

CPU: intel i7 5820K (not overclocked)

GPU: AMD 6750XT

RAM: 48 GB at 2133mhz (not overclocked)

Running Windows 10.

Premiere pro is working from HDD drive and exporting to a different HDD drive.

I hope anyone can help me, because I am unable to do my work without Premiere pro.

If more info is needed please let me know.

Thanks in advance to everyone taking the time to read this and support.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Editing and playback , Export , Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
11 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing I'd suggest is to delete the media cache. Hold  down shift as you start PP with the normal icon, IE: not your project icon (if you have one). Just respond to the dialog that comes up. Feel free to reset your preferences if it's not too much hassle to re-enter any one you've changed.

Once inside, I suggest you open a brand new project, then IMPORT your current project to that one, and see how it goes.

Let us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright I did what you said, just to be sure I also ticked the option about resetting plug ins (not that I have any).

I don't want to speak too soon, but I was able to edit a small portion of the project I was working on without problems. It is now rendering.

Tomorrow morning I will start a new project with lots of editing which will be a good test.

If the solution really was this simple I'll smack myself on the back of my head and give you a big virtual hug. 

I will report back tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well unfortunately it didn't help. The rendering took very long, after 3 hours it was on 84% and when it hit 91% PP froze along with my entire pc.

No error message.

Hopefully there is more I can try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reading your post again, I'm wondering if it is hardware? It's not typical that a software bug would cause this:

<<After that my pc won't start anymore (stuck at post) or it takes a very long time to boot.

To get back into Windows I have to turn off my pc and disconnect the power for several minutes...>>

If you suspect at all your hardware, you should probably run some tests. MemTest: https://www.memtest86.com/

Also your hard-drives

https://www.google.com/search?q=hard+drive+test

If you can afford a new SSD, you can put that in place with a clean install of Windows 11 and go from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The disk check was all good, all drives are working properly. Win 10 is running on a ssd, recordings and projects are on a hdd due to the file sizes.

Mem test is still going, this will take approx. 6 hours.

I think the hardware will be fine tbh, I had this problem 2 or 3 years ago with Vegas Pro as well. No crashes like I have now, but rendering started to take a lot longer without reason, that is why a friend recommended to try Premiere pro.

Once my pc is done with the memory test and finds no errors I will just delete Premiere pro and reinstall it. See if that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2024 Apr 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After 5,5 hours the memory test didn't even complete testing 1 ram stick. Since I have 4 sticks I quit the test, whatever it did check was without errors.

So I deleted Premiere pro and reinstalled it. I have been able to render 2 videos in 2,5 hours, so I think the issue has been resolved.

Unfortunately I have no idea what could have been the problem...

To make sure everything is working again I will start a new project soon with lots of editing.

Will post here to confirm if the issue has been resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here - shame on adobe for letting these serious bugs excist. Its hard to import files, takes hours. Then, the files in project show as pending for hours! Then, they wont play on the timeline ...

Anyway, i fixed it by going back TWO versions.

Before doing that, these are some options to try: (didnt work for me):

For the pending images, you can try to hitting ctrl+a to highlight everything on the time line, then right click and find "disable" then, right click again and find "enable" that's usually a quick fix to that glitch.

If that doesn't work, try creating a new sequence and then copying your timeline files and then pasting them in the new sequence, because the problem can be your sequence and not the files. If that doesn't work, go to the top of premiere, select Edit > Preferences > media cache and select "delete unused files". If none of those work, let me know.

Because your next step can be either moving your files to a diff harddrive, or deleting your file previews.

Another work around is changing the file name. so if your video is called sadpuppy.avi you can change it to sadpuppy.mts and trick adobe into pulling it in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your machine is somewhat underpowered.

5th generation cpu and running off HDD instead of SSD.

Premiere Pro system requirements for Windows

Might want to consider proxies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2024 Apr 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@chantalharvey  Thanks for the suggestions, I will take note should I encounter more problems.

@Ann Bens  I know my pc is old, but Premiere pro has been working fine for a few years. That's what makes it so frustrating getting these issues iut of the blue.

But it seems after deleting and reinstalling Premiere pro is working normally again. I was able to edit a large project without fail and rendering also completed in a reasonable time.

So hopefully this problem is now fixed.

Unfortunately I have no idea what caused it in the first place...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2024 May 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well reinstalling Premiere pro didn't work for long. After 1 day problems returned with some additional issues...

But then I remembered something very important about my pc I changed.

I added new RAM memory to my existing memory sticks, but due to the age of my parts I obviously couldn't find the same sticks.

So I added different memory sticks and to be honest I had no problems with games and Premiere pro. Until about after 1 month or so.

Anyway I removed my old RAM sticks and Premiere pro has been working fine so far.

So I am 95% sure this has been fixed now.

Thank you all for assisting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 01, 2024 May 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Per my answer above, I  thought it was hardware. Your memory test, which you aborted, was probably stuck somewhere...

Votes

Translate

Translate