• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Premiere Pro CC Glitches Screen & Crashes Computer

Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2014 Jan 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been experiencing this problem for about three weeks now. I am editing on a MacBook Pro with 2.4 GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250SSD, Thunderbolt to 3TB drive, and a thunderbolt-DVI adapter to Apple Cinema Display. I am editing 4K RED EPIC footage and my computer is wigging out on me.

I have been editing high quality footage on this machine with these drives and settings for a while. I originally thought this was a CUDA issue or graphics card issue. I switched to OpenCL and edited for a while and had the same issue again. I even took my machine to Apple and they put a new logic board and graphics chipset in it because we thought that would solve the issue. Again, same problems. I originally thought this might be just a Premiere Pro issue, however today I was exporting a 10 minute 4K, downgrade to 1080p video in AME and had the same glitch issue. This is what happens when a crash occurs:

1. Slowed perfomance of timeline and video responsiveness
  2. Program window goes either Black, White, or Gray (when this happens, I know it's game over... Thank you Auto-Save)
  3. Clicking, Moving Mouse, Typing, ANYTHING from there gives me a completely glitching out display for around 1 minute
  4. Whole screen goes black, seconds later...
  5. Log in screen

The attached pictures give you an idea of what the screen is looking like when the glitch occurs.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 4.JPG

Anyone experience this issue? Everything I have is up to date including CUDA, the Apps themselves, everything.

THANKS!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 680 Replies 680
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 26, 2015 Jun 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eric,

So Kevin,  can you give us any additional insight on the road forward with El Capitan, Metal, etc. 

Regarding NVIDA CUDA and Premiere Pro? Not really. I assume that it will continue to be supported by Premiere Pro on the Mac as long as OS X supports it.

I've got a 2014 MBP with NVIDIA and a '09 MacPro with a GTX680 Mac edition.  The laptop and the GTX680 were purchased based on the HEAVILY PROMOTED AND PROMISED PERFORMANCE OF ADOBE PREMIERE AND NVIDIA CUDA. 

I do understand your frustration. I also have a MacBook Pro with a NVIDIA CUDA card in it. I also am using the OpenCL workaround.

So Kevin, I think you'll understand that I and others do not accept the current implementation of OpenCL, and its drastic reduction in performance, as a viable alternative. 

That's all I have as a workaround. We are waiting for NVIDIA to provide a driver that we can test which does not exhibit these issues.

no matter how much repetition of the phrase "I'm still using OpenCL myself..." and its many variants you deploy to convince us otherwise. 

I am not being dishonest, withholding info from you, or "trying to convince you" of anything. There is no new information with the new release. I would ask NVIDIA to comment on any new information they might have. I just don't have any.

Sorry.

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree and support Eric's position here. We have all been patiente enough and this has taken us nowhere. We have products that do not work as promised and as advertised. There are consumer laws that protect us against such practices. This is not good business for Abobe and if Adobe cannot arrive at a solution with their partners be they NVIDIA, Apple or whatever other partie involved is this disaster then Adobe needs to take positive and corrective actions towards it's clients. I also paid almost 5000€ for my iMac and switched from FCPX to Premiere Pro based on the promises that I would engage in warp speed levels using PP with CUDA Drivers and the GPU Apple installed on my iMac, Obviously none of this has occurred. I was for a long time one to support the efforts of Adobe with regards to this issue and recommended to all to use Mercury Software only to work temporary and trusted that Adobe would resolve this with their partners.

Obviously my trust has not paid off and I am now expecting a formal statement from Adobe and a suggestion to compensate their clients for their inabilities to use the Adobe products they way they were promoted and sold to us. .

Please Kevin, do inform your higher level management that this has reached the highest level of frustration and that many in this forum will agree with me, WE just can no longer accept to be patient or at least not without a formal statement from Adobe that will tell us what they plan to do and how long they believe they need to achieve whatever plan Adobe has. No reply to this request and continuing silence from Adobe will only favor drastic measures taken by Adobe's clients.

Kind regards

Moderated by: Kevin Monahan

Reason: please do not discuss legal issues on the forum. See Adobe Community Guidelines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree. We Film and Tv professionals have to deliver a lot of  quality in less time for even lesser payment due to increasing competition. So we invest in knowledge, hardware and software to keep up. To be one step ahead. We try to speed things up at a tighter budget. We promise to deliver as expected. Every day we fulfil that promise. We really need you to fulfil your promise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Willard,

We really need you to fulfill your promise.

Doing my best. I hope we can get NVIDIA to comment.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 28, 2015 Aug 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to latest Web Drivers and latest CUDA drivers and am not having

issues yet. I’ll update if I get the glitches, so far so good.

Web Driver: 346.02.03f01

CUDA: 7.0.64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Spnsir,

I updated to latest Web Drivers and latest CUDA drivers and am not having

issues yet. I’ll update if I get the glitches, so far so good.

Web Driver: 346.02.03f01

CUDA: 7.0.64

Thanks for your feedback. I also am testing the new drivers. I also am not having issues thus far (fingers crossed).

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2015 Oct 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news on when we can expect a fix Kevin-Monahan‌??

CUDA is one of the features we've all been told is a reason to use Premiere. It hasn't worked for many, many users for over 18 months.

This is beyond ridiculous now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone benchmarked CUDA vs OpenCL render times on various projects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Sadly, I think CUDA is a lost cause (I suspect Apple simply stopped supporting it or even actively worked against it).

I am running El Capitan using a NVIDIA GTX680 and have been since released.

El Capitan got off to a very shaky start with Premiere Pro however my recent observations whilst using Premiere Pro 2015...I can run Premiere successfully using the latest NVIDIA web driver and OpenCL hardware accelerated. Immediate problems appear if I switch to CUDA...immediate!

Yes, OpenCL is slower than CUDA but much faster than OpenCL software accelerated...however I can say the performance of EL Capitan over Yosemite is huge so overall it is workable and can report, for me, much faster than the same setup using Yosemite.

Are they wrong to have sold us a lemon? Absolutely! Do I have to get on with it...yes.

The point is that I have found a workable solution...it is a lot better than it was a month ago ...it may not work for everyone but for now at least I can keep moving on my projects and be reasonably happy with the performance.

Just a note of caution...I would strongly recommend setting up a dual system if you are thinking of migrating to El Capitan to see if it is right for you but I can say that for me at least, it was worth it.

Having said all that...it would me mind blowing if they can CUDA working under El Capitan!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 14, 2015 Oct 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news on when we can expect a fix Kevin-Monahan??

Hi Zanlyons,

No, I will see if NVIDIA can respond once more.

CUDA is one of the features we've all been told is a reason to use Premiere. It hasn't worked for many, many users for over 18 months.

This is beyond ridiculous now.

Are you still having issues with current drivers? You might try them out, I don't have the same problem with my 650M.

Regards,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin-Monahan

Do you mean CUDA  drivers or NVIDIA web drivers?

The Macbook Pro I'm using has a NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zanlyons,

Check your CUDA drivers in System Prefs. I'm now running 7.5.20. No issues.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin-Monahan, I'll try this

I'm guessing I need to be on Yosemite? I'm currently on Mavericks 10.9.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2015 Oct 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Still getting Kernel Panics and it seems that everyone else on this thread has given up and had to switch to Open CL.

Adobe should make a statement AND apologise to everyone affected.

Also, using CUDA to sell Premiere is just false advertising at this point.

Simply the worst software experience I've ever had.

Adobe clearly do not value it's customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2015 Oct 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just checking in, been following this thread every now and then since the beginning.

Running a MacBook Pro 15" retina mid 2012. 2,3GHz Intel core i7, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForve GT650M 1024 MB.

Updated my CUDA driver to 7.5.21, as you said you had no issues running 7.5.20 (on Yosemite?). Switched from OpenCL to CUDA, and continued editing a really big project with a lot of different clips, both 1080p and some 4K clips from the GH4. Editing on an external monitor, and the media is on a 12TB RAID connected through USB 3.0.

Everything was working perfectly, and the performance was pretty good. After about an hour I noticed a glith in the program monitor when switching to the color workspace (screen shot), but nothing else happened. Then all of a sudden, maybe 15 minutes later everything just shut down. Didn't see any kernel panic message, but that might have to do with the external monitor. Weird thing was that it restarted and played the start up chime twice. Now going back to OpenCL. Haven't dared trying to update to El Captian yet - is it any better? I've heard some people even struggle with OpenCL, so I won't risk loosing that as well...

Skjermbilde 2015-10-22 kl. 23.42.42.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 03, 2015 Nov 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After going through this whole thread with Nvidia drivers on both Win and mostly on Mac OS, I was wondering  what according to Adobe  is a recommended gpu to install on a windows machine for 4K editing: Amd or Nvidia flavour & what models, which will take advantage of Lumetri and other Mercury accelerated effects and rendering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 16, 2015 Nov 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After going through this whole thread with Nvidia drivers on both Win and mostly on Mac OS...

Hi Evan,

This is actually an issue with Mac. The Windows issues creeping in here lately might seem to be the same, but I don't believe they are (if you are one of those Windows users, don't take offense, please, file a bug).

I was wondering  what according to Adobe is a recommended gpu to install on a windows machine for 4K editing: Amd or Nvidia flavour & what models, which will take advantage of Lumetri and other Mercury accelerated effects and rendering.

I would have a look at our system requirements. We also have a hardware forum for just such questions. Check that out here.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin-Monahan wrote:

I would have a look at our system requirements. We also have a hardware forum for just such questions. Check that out here.

Kevin thanks for the feedback.

You do realize however  that the Nvidia GTX series listed on the system requirements are a generation back and hard to find new.
They stop at series 7 where now only series 9 are shipping.

Also, it would be nice to have an OFFICIAL ADOBE comparison between AMD & NVIDIA GPU performance of equivalent priced cards on the same machine, testing gpu accelerated effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Kevin,

I just had this thought concerning a possible path that Adobe should follow to see if there could not be some explanation as to why PP does not work with CUDA. From day 1 since these glitches and crashes started to occur using PP one thing has remained constate which is, anything I do in AFTER EFFECTS I can do using CUDA. Today I rendered several very large files using AME to encode Timelapse clips I had created in AE and exported to AME as I always do these files are encoded in Quicktime ProRes 422HQ and they are in the original image format that my cameras shoots the stills used to make the Timelapse clip namely 5760X3840 The clips depending on the lenght weigh anywhere between 4 to 9GB

Never during the encoding do I see a glitch and never do I get a crash. Would it not be a good idea to have your guys from AE speak with your guys from PP and see what it is that is so different in PP versus AE which makes CUDA throw up every time we ask it to work with CUDA. 

I just have a hard time understanding why one works so well with CUDA and the other well it just doesn't work with CUDA!!!

Just saying!!!

My encoding has been going on since early this afternoon and is about to finish and it's smooth as air.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi NB,

I just had this thought concerning a possible path that Adobe should follow to see if there could not be some explanation as to why PP does not work with CUDA.

I just have a hard time understanding why one works so well with CUDA and the other well it just doesn't work with CUDA!!!

Just saying!!!

My encoding has been going on since early this afternoon and is about to finish and it's smooth as air.

It would probably be best to file a bug to let the team know how you feel. Sorry for your frustration.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 18, 2015 Nov 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File a bug??? How many times do I need to file a bug? Adobe is fully aware of the glitches on Macs when using CUDA with PP and you want me to file a BUG report after having been on this forum wasting my time for 18 motnhs without a fix? I'm sorry Kevin but I suggested that PP team talks to AE team if you can't relay that idea as a member of the PP Team...well I'm outa here! And will eventually be outa Creative Cloud also!

Edited by: Kevin Monahan

Reason: profanity removed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit: With latest Web Driver and CUDA Driver, issues persist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2015 Jun 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe and NVIDIA collaborate to build the best tools for creative pros - YouTube

...this is what we as professionals were promised.

If we are not being heard, we'll need to be louder. I think starting a petition on change.org is a great idea. Once those wheels are turning we should also write to websites like petapixel.com to make the greater photography/videography community aware of this false advertising campaign which we have been scammed into.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 08, 2015 Jun 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌i tried to tell you before...  until they have solid ground with apple, they can only give you a runaround.  apple made the problem.  it has to be attached to the new memory access programming.  random or malfunctioned values fed into video stream will show up as glitches.  i checked memory access on an i7 with cuda that had this problem.  memory access triples for standard ram, but video card is left nearly untouched.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed and share in voiced frustration in facing this ongoing and debilitating (CUDA) situation. I think that those of us forking over copious amounts of hard-earned cash to Adobe, albeit excellent software innovations, are owed a bit more than an absolute silence on this matter. I find it unfortunate for myself, that after migrating from AVID to Adobe cc, a year ago August, in excitement to utilizing well-publicized Mercury speed ALONG with an advanced speech to text feature, that less than 3-months later BOTH FEATURES were disbanded.

While Adobe's abrupt abandonment of (STT) with the (12/15/2014) December update release was sighted by Adobe to be due to the "lack of advancements in that technology". While truth-be-told it turned out to be a license>cost differences between Adobe and the owners of that technology. What was my response? Oh well at least I have Mercury speed! Wrong! Because within 3-months that too became a non-functioning feature as well.

That issue alone cost me days spent on the phone with a (apparently) confused and clueless tech support team. During which was blamed on Apple, Yosemite, until eventually landing on CUDA. Only to once again for Adobe's frivolous suggestion to merely "turn it off".

That's where I draw the line, especially as I draw upon my one-year cloud subscription -n August.

What next?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines