• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to replace a gray sky with a blue sky

New Here ,
Jul 04, 2024 Jul 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to edit a blue sky to replace the grey sky in my video. the sky needs to be on the more blue and vibrant side, yet realistic. I am facing issues such as glitches and fading of the colour of the original video. Please can someone help me.... I have been trying allll day and I am close to pulling my hair out! I can send you the video 🙂

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way i can see this working is if you mask out the sky (this will be easier in after effects) and find some sky stock and track it to the movement. (again, easier in after effects) no easy fix for this, unless theres an ai out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can be done using the Track Matte effect. Jarle Leirpoll has an example in his awesome book "The Cool Stuff in Premiere Pro" and I think also has an example on his website, premierepro.net.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you kindly able to help me do this? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Track Matte effect is kinda tricky at first ... you use most commonly three tracks of video or some kind of image, and apply the effect to the middle track, after setting a key on the upper track.

Once you understand how it works, it's not at all difficult. But at first getting the right settings is confusing.

As it's kinda tricksy, and ... reading through Jarle's explanations is very, very useful. You can buy the book as an ebook (I did at first) and I highly recommend that for all Premiere users of any level. The information in that 1200 page book will speed and enable any workflows.

It's such a good book that even though I already had it on my tablet and computers, when I saw a printed copy in the bookstore at MAX I grabbed it and didn't even look for the price. I didn't care what it cost, I was getting it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any chance you would be able to kindly make an attempt on the edit? I have given it a go and cant get my head around it! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jarle Leirpoll @PaulMurphy @Warren Heaton  ... you wanna reference something or step in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post screenshot of the scene.

Is the shot static or does the camera move around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anisha,

Here are some steps to replace the gray sky with a blue sky in your video:

1. Add an Opacity Mask: Apply an Opacity mask to your video to isolate the mountains and a bit of the sky.
2. Track the Mask: Track the mask so it follows the camera movement.
3. Use Ultra Key: Add the Ultra Key effect and pick a sample of the sky for the Key Color. Adjust the Matte Generation and Matte Cleanup settings to get the best key. This will key some of the white in the water, but it will look natural.
4. Duplicate Clip: Duplicate your clip, remove all effects, and move it to Track 1.
5. Color the Sky: Select the duplicate clip, go to the Lumetri Color panel, and adjust the Temperature slider and RGB Curves to color the sky to your liking.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Paul

PaulMurphy_3-1720133048061.png

PaulMurphy_0-1720132091761.png

PaulMurphy_1-1720132515906.png

PaulMurphy_2-1720132573815.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2024 Jul 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To follow up on what Paul said: Instead of using Ultra Key I often use a sky from another clip probably with some clouds moving along.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am happy to just have the sky just blue, no clouds. Is that easier? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No all the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 07, 2024 Jul 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have sometimes used this quick and dirty method. It's a bit of a hack - but hey! 

Draw a rectangle, choose blue linear gradient (blue to transparent blue) as the fill, and Darken blending mode. If it works, it works 🙂  If your shot is a moving shot you can add keyframes to position and rotation for the rectangle. You can of course combine it with masks with lots of feathering. 
I've totally overdone it in this example to make it obvious. Use your best judgement in your case. 

Problem.png

Add Rectangle.png

Result.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are always multiple ways to do anything!

And a comment paraphrasing Jarle's advice on sky replacement from his book ... is that a large part of successful  sky replacement is in choosing the right sky.

If the sun in the video is coming from one angle, the replacement sky needs to come from a clip at close to the same angle to the sun. Or it cannot "feel" right. Sky varies across the frame in color and brightness because of that relationship with the sun.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I dont think this is going to work as the clip in question is fast panning (its not a full sky) and shifting in exposure and vfr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines