• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keyboard shortcuts are lost and not retained in 23.4

Explorer ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of this morning when upgrading to 23.4 I am experiencing issues with keyboard shortcuts. Many of my existing keyboard shortcuts are gone, and when I add them back in, then restart Premiere they disappear again. No rhyme or reason as to which ones, as some keyboard shortcuts are still working perfectly fine.

This seems to only affect modified shortcut keys.

A temporary solution is to lock your KYS file, however this is not a good solution as it prevents you from making new shortcuts if you forget you locked the file.

This is also creating issues with the Excalibur plugin, and I've notified the developers of that as well.

Demonstration here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xhxtaahfma4q2eq/230510_missing%20KYS%20shortcuts.mov?dl=0

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

We believe this is the full list of affected commands.  It seems most people are tripped up by the Window commands, anything involving switching panels.  We believe only these commands will be reset on launch.  All other custom shortcuts will be retained. 

Application

• File
    • New
      • Production...
      • Linked Team Project...
    • Open Production...
  • Edit
    • Team Project
    • Update
    • Publish
    • Resolve Conflicts...
    • Convert Project to Team Project...
    • Convert Team Project to Project...
    • Browse

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

We have a fix in beta as of version 23.5.0 build 39.  If you can try the beta, please let us know if it fixes things for you.  I made an official known issue post in the bug forums and will post further updates over there Known issue: Certain custom keyboard shortcuts are reset to default in 23.4.  This issue has also been added to the Known issues for Premiere Pro on helpX. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 26, 2023 Jun 26, 2023

In 23.5, we fixed the bug that removes your custom keyboard shortcuts.  If you ever loaded your custom keyboard shortcuts in 23.4, your shortcuts are removed and reset to the default.  Updating to 23.5 will not restore them, unfortunately.  You need to restore the KYS file from a backup if you have one or redo your custom keyboard settings.  Going forward they will be remembered.  I fully acknowledge that this is far from ideal, and I apologize to everyone who has been affected.  

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 12, 2024 Mar 12, 2024

Hello @BrianLevin & Community,

Thanks again for filing this bug. A product manager announced that the issue was fixed. His message was, "This issue is fixed in 23.5, which is available now. Please update to get the fix."

If you are still having this problem, please let us know. I apologize for the time it took to fix this issue.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 109 Replies 109
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2023 May 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue, nothin more to add other than I wish I found this forum sooner. A couple days of banging my head against the keyboard, resetiing prefs, creating new kys from scratch, lots of troubleshooting. at least i can stop trying now. hope there is a fix soon. i rely on 1-9 to navigate panels. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, thats actually pretty helpful. I was simply changing my keyboard shortcuts to another set before quitting as a workaround, but read only is much better as long as theyre set up 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This one's a nightmare

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just want to add, same issue with keyboard shortcuts. MacOS 12.6.3. Set shortcuts to read-only but didn't work. Main issue for me right now is for zooming in and out which I have set for âŒ˜+ and âŒ˜- normally. Will either try to remap or roll back to 23.3 but I'm not really looking to re-program 20 years of muscle memory. 

Adobe, on top of obviously fixing this issue as soon as you possibly can I would request that you stop stating "this update is recommended for all users" when you push an update. At least would wait until something like a 23.4.1. I guess it's my own fault for trusting a point release update again.

For the sake of all of us who make our living off of your tools PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make sure the basics work before you try to add anything fancy. I rushed to this update because I was hoping it would improve some UI performance issues (the Beta did) but instead here we are, wasting time. Working shortcut keys and a usable UI will always be a higher priority to those of us who are using your tools in front of clients day in and day out. A new Export interface is the bottom of my list of things I'd like, let alone one that is SLOW. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a fix in beta as of version 23.5.0 build 39.  If you can try the beta, please let us know if it fixes things for you.  I made an official known issue post in the bug forums and will post further updates over there Known issue: Certain custom keyboard shortcuts are reset to default in 23.4.  This issue has also been added to the Known issues for Premiere Pro on helpX. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, including Excalibur issues.  Couldn't go back to 23.3 because of export window not appearing issue, so went back to 23.2 and we're good again. (I am on a project with a great many "Replace with Source Monitor" footage needed, and I couldn't handle that shortcut (and others) constantly going away.

23.2 is the best version for me, although I miss background saves, text based editing, etc....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Francis-Crossman 

Will look for 39 tomorrow. Only up to 37 available at the moment.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My keyboard shortcuts file was also affected by this update, but, additionally, I've discovered that when I copy and paste video and audio from one place and want to paste them into another place on my timeline by clicking on the track targeting buttons, they default to V1 or A1. This never happened before, and it's quite troublesome, as it adds more steps for me to copy and paste properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have not been able to access a beta version yet, but new bug I have found as well is during a multi-camera display mode, the spacebar "play" function does not work. I really hope you guys can turn this around quickly as it's really starting to slow my work down especially with projects due.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to the commands you listed (I keep losing my Window commands), is any of it related to keys 1-9? I keep losing the ones related to keys 1-5. Coincidentally, they're Window commands; and I am losing Window commands I map to S and E as well.

Also, I keep losing the shortcuts while Premiere is open, not just on relaunch.

I'll try temporarily locking my .kys file. Thanks so much for your diligence on this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do we test the Beta?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@KazuT you can download the beta from the Creative Cloud Desktop app.  In the categories on the left, find "Beta Apps".  From there find Premiere Pro.  It looks like the beta version is a few days behind our internal builds.  The fix is in 23.5.0 build 39 or later.  Looks like the most recent is 37 as of today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be nice if Adobe released and early version on the fix, or a quick patch, rather than having to go thru a (late) beta cycle. Hardly any threads here go over to multiple pages... and that bug wasn't discovered in beta anyway...? I think it would be a nice gesture. And @BrianLevin discovered it right away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW: I went back to 23.4 with my keyboard shortcut file marked as Read-Only in Windows 11, and it's working OK

(Win11 21H2, PP 23.4)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@FraNu I know the official line will be that it's in beta so we should expect bugs... but how far along is this beta in testing? Is it stable? Can you still open a saved project from the beta in the current release version without incident?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sam,

To emphasize, the Beta can be installed independently from your production/release version(s).

The Beta is often stable, but is actively developing functions that may not make the release version for multiple dot versions down the line. I regularly experience crashes in the Beta and sometimes loss of functionality as staff work on a feature.Generally these are fixed within a build or two, and I have worked and completed projects in the Beta.

A fix in the Beta, as here, is a different matter. I would expect it to be released in the first update available. But when you install the Beta, you get all of the Beta, not just the fix you want.

Installing the Beta alongside your release version is no problem. But you must exercise some care if you start to use it for production work.

In most Beta versions, the project version is the same as the release. But when a new project version comes along, it may appear (as it did the last time) in the Beta with no warning. And your Beta project then is not compatible and cannot be opened in the release version. Yes, you can downgrade it or use other strategies; just be aware. As of Beta Build 33 (the latest I have installed; waiting on build 39 to update), both are the same as Version 41.

See the Beta FAQs:
https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/creative-cloud-beta.html

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Francis-Crossman and All,

Build 41 appeared this evening. I tested only keyboard 1 and 2 keys. I assigned them Effects Panel and Effect Controls Panel. Closed PR and reopend. All okay.

Appears fixed in my very limited test.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If i change the default shortcut for let´s say Project panel from Shift+1 to F1 on my keyboard, pressing F1 switches to my Project panel as expected. If i now close Premiere Pro and the launch it again F1 don´t work and in the Keyboard Shortcut dialog the shortcut for the Project panel has ben restted back to it´s default Shift+1.

Why is that?

• This happens for any panel.
  • This happen for any shortcut i give to the Project panel.

To reproduce:

1. Press Shift+Alt+K.

2. Type Projects.

3. Change the shortcut to let´s say F1 and delete Shift+1 from the list.

4. Close the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog.

Result:

Now you can switch from any panel to the Project panel by pressing F1.

Continued...

5. Close Premiere Pro.

6. Launch Premiere Pro.

7. Try to switch from any other panel back to the Project panel by pressing F1.

Actual result:

When you re-launch Premiere Pro the keyboard shortcut you assigned will be resetted back to it´s default, in this case Shift+1 and F1 does nothing.

Additional info:

If i under #3 assign to let´s say the P-key or any other key/key combination to rule out the F-keys you will see the very same result. The shortcut you assign will work until you close and re-launch Premiere Pro and now the shortcut will be resetted back to Shift+1.

• It seems to happens with all panels.
  • It does not happen if you assign a new shortcut to let´s say Save.

Pr: 23.4.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, i saw now when i posted it that it is a known issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upvote the bug report:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/keyboard-shortcuts-are-lost-and-not-retained-in-23-...

Note the progress; fixed in the Beta.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just checked in Beta 23.5 Build 46 and all is good.

One thing worth adding is that if you try and set up your keyboard shortcuts before you've opened a project then some of the options are missing. For instance you can't find Replace with Clip... from Bin. Once you're in a project you can then find that option in Keyboard Shortcuts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the status on this bug? I've seen the suggestions to try the beta. With Adobe's track record of fixing one thing just to break a dozen others I'm a little nervous to go that route.

To be honest I am getting tired of paying money every month for a product that rarely operates as it should. Especially when Resolve is nearly bug free and is way more affordable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 31, 2023 May 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated to the Beta, still doesn't work. Best solution right now: lock your KYS file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 31, 2023 May 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The shortcuts seem to safe and work now, that I restarted my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2023 Jun 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to add to that list my custom shortcuts for: export to XML, OMF and AAF. They don't seem to work anymore either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines