• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keyboard shortcuts are lost and not retained in 23.4

Explorer ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of this morning when upgrading to 23.4 I am experiencing issues with keyboard shortcuts. Many of my existing keyboard shortcuts are gone, and when I add them back in, then restart Premiere they disappear again. No rhyme or reason as to which ones, as some keyboard shortcuts are still working perfectly fine.

This seems to only affect modified shortcut keys.

A temporary solution is to lock your KYS file, however this is not a good solution as it prevents you from making new shortcuts if you forget you locked the file.

This is also creating issues with the Excalibur plugin, and I've notified the developers of that as well.

Demonstration here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xhxtaahfma4q2eq/230510_missing%20KYS%20shortcuts.mov?dl=0

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

We believe this is the full list of affected commands.  It seems most people are tripped up by the Window commands, anything involving switching panels.  We believe only these commands will be reset on launch.  All other custom shortcuts will be retained. 

Application

• File
    • New
      • Production...
      • Linked Team Project...
    • Open Production...
  • Edit
    • Team Project
    • Update
    • Publish
    • Resolve Conflicts...
    • Convert Project to Team Project...
    • Convert Team Project to Project...
    • Browse

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

We have a fix in beta as of version 23.5.0 build 39.  If you can try the beta, please let us know if it fixes things for you.  I made an official known issue post in the bug forums and will post further updates over there Known issue: Certain custom keyboard shortcuts are reset to default in 23.4.  This issue has also been added to the Known issues for Premiere Pro on helpX. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 26, 2023 Jun 26, 2023

In 23.5, we fixed the bug that removes your custom keyboard shortcuts.  If you ever loaded your custom keyboard shortcuts in 23.4, your shortcuts are removed and reset to the default.  Updating to 23.5 will not restore them, unfortunately.  You need to restore the KYS file from a backup if you have one or redo your custom keyboard settings.  Going forward they will be remembered.  I fully acknowledge that this is far from ideal, and I apologize to everyone who has been affected.  

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 12, 2024 Mar 12, 2024

Hello @BrianLevin & Community,

Thanks again for filing this bug. A product manager announced that the issue was fixed. His message was, "This issue is fixed in 23.5, which is available now. Please update to get the fix."

If you are still having this problem, please let us know. I apologize for the time it took to fix this issue.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 109 Replies 109
Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2023 Jun 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

23.5 is not fixed.  I use option arrow up and down for volume in audio tracks. Now it moves the entire audio to a different track. Used page up and down for zooming in and out. That doesn't work either.  This is awful. I'd switch to Resolve but the way they deal with markers is insane and the way it auto adds audio tracks you don't want is even worse them Premiere. So bummed I started a job in 2023. Going back to 2022 for next job. Disgraceful this hasn't been fixed. Having keyboard shortcuts not work properly cost us all time and time is money. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@TKane31,

The bug addressed by this thread had a particular cause and there is a list of all the commands that staff identified as affected. For you,  @clarity6406, and @ryparma, the Zoom commands do not appear to me to be listed. If there is a new problem with these it may have a different cause.

@Francis-Crossman, do you know if this is the same or a different issue? Should it be fixed?

Their posts are:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/keyboard-shortcuts-are-lost-and-not-retained-in-23-...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/keyboard-shortcuts-are-lost-and-not-retained-in-23-...

My guess was that at least of these was operating correctly:

But I wonder about Mac/PC issues. I'm Win10.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this is what I've come to discover after getting advice from people on this thread and trying things myself. With the newest update of 23.5, it does not fix the problem of specific set keyboard shortcut actions from an imported keyboard layout you may have imported into Premiere. What you have you do is start completely from scratch and create a new keyboard layout from a pre-loaded Premiere keyboard setup and save it as a new keyboard layout. For example, I started with the final cut pro keyboard layout from Adobe and then tried to remember all the changes I had made to this layout from my old keyboard layout I had imported that Premiere no longer allowed specific shortcuts to work. After creating the new keyboard from scratch, I have had no further problems. However, Adobe has done a huge disservice to its constumers by not explaining this and truly not fixing the problem at hand that the newer updates do not allow previously loaded keyboard layouts to work properly. You will have to recreate your keyboard layout from scratch in order for everything to work properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check you keyboard assignments, perhaps it got changed at some point, as Alt+Up Arrow is the default for moving clips up a track.

MyerPj_0-1687801177149.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In 23.5, we fixed the bug that removes your custom keyboard shortcuts.  If you ever loaded your custom keyboard shortcuts in 23.4, your shortcuts are removed and reset to the default.  Updating to 23.5 will not restore them, unfortunately.  You need to restore the KYS file from a backup if you have one or redo your custom keyboard settings.  Going forward they will be remembered.  I fully acknowledge that this is far from ideal, and I apologize to everyone who has been affected.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Francis-Crossman,

Thanks for the clarification and pinning your response here and in the other thread.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Francis-Crossman 

"If you ever loaded your custom keyboard shortcuts in 23.4, your shortcuts are removed and reset to the default. Updating to 23.5 will not restore them, unfortunately. You need to restore the KYS file from a backup if you have one or redo your custom keyboard settings."

Francis Crossman,

This is EXACTLY the kind of information that should be posted in "Known Issues" for 23.4.

When a user is consdering whether to install 23.4 they want to know the problems it will create, and the workarounds that are known - rather than finding out the hard way after the fact. "Known Issues" should be the comprehensive resource for that.

I suggest updating this.

R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ryparma,

Thanks for posting what worked for you.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2023 Jul 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The paste insert no longer works as "control + shift + V"

I tried to manually add it and it didn't let me. Weird

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2023 Sep 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was experiencing this problem on the in the last version so I updated to 24.1.2 Beta and now when I try to open the keyboard shortcuts, nothing happens at all..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2023 Oct 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a disaster. I'm going to be late on a huge project because many months later, while Adobe claimed to have fixed this problem, it has returned. Can't even selection in and out of source clips with shortcuts anymore. Reinstalled with zero luck. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the user above me states, this problem has come back. I can't really believe how such a thing could happen, but for me, it isn't very nice. I'm a University Student and probably going to miss my deadline because of this as there is almost no way of working like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you send a screenshot of the KB-Shortcut screen. I've not had this problem since the one version that had it.

As a side note: I do backup my keyboard shorts for PP, AE and AI regularly. We just had a switch to 2024 (today for me) and PP imported my 2023 KBshorts and all is well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2023 Oct 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The entire editor is empty. Regardless of what I do... switching versions, restoring factory settings and such, nothing really happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2023 Oct 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to receive a default .kys file to add to my program. I cannot find any online and I'm actually just so sick of this problem. I already spent a lot of time being pretty mad that no one was going to give me back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2023 Oct 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like I fixed my problem, however doing it all on my own. I got my girlfriend to give me her .kys file and now I can finally do stuff again. Crazy how stuff like this happens, really shows what kind of company this is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Congratulations on fixing it 'all on your own'

FWIW:  The problem you had is not the problem of this thread, thus making it more difficult to understand your issue(s). Fortunatly, Adobe provides this forum for thier users to interact.  🙂 Thanks Adobe! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, but that means they mainly rely on users to help other users. Quite a common corporate practice, still pretty sad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think so. You can contact them from right from your account, there's a chat button. 

MyerPj_0-1697574894752.png

And you can call in too... They'll even take control of your computer, if you want them to. (Ask your girlfriend/IT person if that's ok) 🙂 And if you do call ask for the 'Video Que' for more experienced techs on the video softwares.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might sound crazy here, but a POPUP window saying "Your keyboard settings and Window Layouts will be removed if you allow this update" would save us hours. I wish I could get Final Cut X on PC. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an option to save your preferences from the previous version when you are upgrading yearly versions. 

Adobe does tend to spread out things into different folders... but here's the one you need to start backing up now...

%UserProfile%\Documents\Adobe\Premiere Pro\24.0\

Paste the above into FileExplorer... it changes with each version #, and usually PP leaves the "23" folder(s) around. Take a look you might find them. So, however you are backing up, your preferences, layouts and keyboard shorts are in the above folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2023 Nov 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, since my upgrade to 24.0, even the command "edit keyboard shortcuts" doesn't open anything... So of course my previous personalized keyboard is not working. I reinstalled and went back on 23.6 where it's working properly... I'm on Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you use the shortcut I posted above your post to see what's happening in that folder... I'm pretty sure that's working fine in 24.0. Perhaps your shortcuts didn't get copied over during the upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My .kys file is here, but nothing happens if I do "CTRL ALT K", so I cannot edit anything, and the personalized keyboard shortcuts are not working either. And now it's not working either in 23.6 version...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suddenly my Zoom tool and Hand tool shortcuts are not working? They're in the keyboard settings, and worked earlier today. Other shortscuts like, select, cut mark clip etc., seems to work fine. Any ideas what's wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines