• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving tracks up and down...?

Participant ,
Aug 15, 2009 Aug 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So easy to do in PS AE etc, but a real mystery in PP...

And is it possible to insert a track?

Cheers!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 15, 2009 Aug 15, 2009

But that is ridiculous. Moving tracks or layers is standard practice in so much other software.

I assume you're talking about software like After Effects or Photoshop, which contain "layers" and not "tracks" in the way that Premiere Pro, and any other editor for that matter, have them . Perhaps it's a semantic difference, but it's an important one: in Adobe software, a "layer" contains one and only one footage item or graphical element, whereas a "track" can contain one or more footage items or g

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a completely inane and worthless answer this is - sorry, but this is such a basic function that if you don't understand why you might want to do this, it is better to get a basic education first or consult the manual, help file and study some tutorial. 

Why would you want to move a track? Well, if you have a large session and labels assigned to each track, and then (with audio) have these tracks sent to specific submixes, then creating a new track will require you to re-label each track and then change the submix routing as well. It's not the end of the world, but a simple function that would save time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As noted above in this thread and discussed in other places, this is something that seems incredibly painfully obvious to those coming from a DAW or audio-centric background. And to many 'straight' cutting editors, seems odd.

Live everything else in these complex apps, everyone's perspective is different. And perspective gives context to what seems obvious or frivolous/unnecessary.

This forum is a user-to-user help place. Their UserVoice system is where the engineers get direct feedback and as all posts are also collated and sent to the upper managers who decide budgets, feature development and such ... important when you want new things added.

Go post there, come back here and post your link. I'd be happy to upvote your request.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry - I'm not understanding what seems painfully obvious here. The original post was asking how to move tracks, which you can't do in Premiere. Yes, you can move layers, create new tracks, there are a hundred workarounds for this, but to not be able to see why this wouldn't be something you'd want to do - and then lazily and pointlessly call into question the poster's editing ability is, as I said, inane. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, if that is of interest ... go upvote or make the request. I for one would happily upvote it.

It's been requested by some users over what, eleven years? But compared to many other things, it's actually been mentioned only rarely. Given the thousands of people using Premiere every day, that would indicate that the over base isn't pining for this particular thing.

But some of them, if it was available ... would probably find it quite useful.

We all have our own ways of looking at what is a useful workflow. And are welcome to post on this user to user forum. There is nothing about one person stating they don't find something useful that is demeaning or dismissive, it's simply stating the obvious: they as one person don't find X feature to be of use. And is as valid a point as some other person wanting that same feature.

It's a discussion ... with different viewpoints.

But again, I'd be happy to upvote the idea. I might even use it occasionally if it was available, but ... certainly not every day.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If we're speaking purely in terms of the feature, I agree with you. It's not vital, it's certainly not something that affects me more frequently than 1/20 edits, if that. Just doing a quick search, that feature has been requested numerous times already, so I'm not going to clog the suggestion box with that. 

My response was to "Harm Millaard'"s response, specifically this exerpt:

How difficult can it be, but there are other workflows.

Sorry, but this is such a basic question that if you need to ask this, it is better to get a basic education first or consult the manual, help file and study some tutorial.

If this isn't demeaning or dismissive (which, let's be honest, it's both), it's certainly discouraging to someone who may be new to Premiere or editing. Having a valid viewpoint on something doesn't mean you aren't being, well, a jerk. I may read a comment and think "wow this person has no clue what they're doing," and that certainly may be a valid viewpoint, but that doesn't exactly help the community. I don't come to this forum to see people fluffing their egos by talking down to beginners, I come because we're all in the same field and it should be a community of support and positivity (but hey maybe I'm naiive). 

Unfortunately, I see these types of responses so often in these forums that I generally hesitate to click on a link if I know it's coming here. I get that we're all staring at screens way too long each day, and deadlines make people cranky, but maybe try to unload on a stress ball or Haagen-Daz rather than someone new to the field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Part of it is of course as we are all unique, we all react to the same thing differently. I grew up around some blunt old farmers who were rather 'colorful' in their language, rarely "sympathetic" in manner, but underneath had an incredible heart.

So what I learned as a kid was that what one said wasn't nearly as important as what one did. Because if you suddenly and truly needed help, they were all over it without ever needing to be asked. And would rebuff any "thanks" afterwards.

To see them give someone absolute scorn? Show them someone who said nice things, but never went out of their way when someone truly needed help. I learned a lot about Life and character from those harsh, oft-complaining old buzzards.

For this forum ... Harm was an amazing contributor here for quite some years, I only dealt with him for a short period of time before he became inactive due to age and health several years ago. He ran (at his own cost) a service that provided a test project/media for others to test Premiere Pro on their machine against the data points from other machines, which was an amazing boon to the community.

This was hard data as to what sort of performance you could expect on what gear. And ... if you weren't getting the expected performance for your gear, you found out exactly where the problem lay.

After Harm passed, another user took up the project and ran it for another couple years. He too has gone now.

When I started several years back, two of the more noted 'helpers' were Jim Simon and shooternz. Neither was ever going to waste time on typing sympathetic comments. They were "pithy", direct, and short of words. But they knew the app: it's strengths, weaknesses, and total failings, and they knew a ton of different ways of doing anything.

They were also very practical ... couldn't care what anyone wanted, wished, or thought should be ... they just dealt with what could work now, this moment, to get work out the door the fastest and most efficient way possible. With this app as it was, who gives a rock about what it "should be".

Yea, they offended some people. But they saved my backside times beyond count when I was starting out here, and I was very grateful to them for their help. They didn't owe me anything much less gentle words of comfort. For their time and knowledge, I owed them (and still do!) a ton.

I realize that many people really get irked unless the conversation seems ... I don't know, maybe gentle enough or something? And that's a "modern" way of feeling about things it seems.

And as someone who's autistic, it was in many ways easier when one was expected to worry less about feelings compared to accomplishments. It's so easy to offend without any intent to do so these days.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate that response. In many regards, this industry is brutal and unforgiving - between deadlines and meeting client expectations, and knowing that you're only as good as your last project, and that your next job is contingent on those things, it's a meat grinder. To those points, I don't think your mentality isn't congruent with the "modern" mindset. So perhaps impressing those things in here is important, and something I hadn't considered. 

When I'm showing someone the ropes, I want them to be excited about what we can create as editors, but I do also want them to understand the demands as well. In that light, it may be doing someone a service to let them know off the top what to expect - coddling isn't something we see a lot of. There's probably merit to finding the line between each extreme. Good chat, and certainly something to consider from a theory standpoint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 18, 2022 Sep 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @Haakon22906406yy7h , Harm's answer from 13 years ago, did not seem so bad. He's been dead now for a couple of years, so I doubt he'll be needing your advice. He was a legend for his time on the hardware forum. This whole thread was from 2009. So, you're a little late. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 24, 2009 Aug 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving tracks up and down would be (to my opinion and workflow) a great comfort when working in the PR space tight environement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some users, especially if they come from a DAW background agree with you. Strong evidence is in this thread, and plenty of older ones.

Now, I spread out over dual 21" monitors, plus have become accustomed to doing things the PrPro way, so I do not even know if I would use the Click-drag method much, even if initiated in a later upgrade - maybe, but maybe not. [Remember I am one of those "old dogs," that your grandfather told you about, and we know how they take to "new tricks?"]

I'd file a Feature Request (linked up thread), as there might be enough clamor for this, that Adobe would implement it. I do not think it would be THAT hard, but am not a coder, so maybe it is flat impossible at this date. If there was a good time for implementing it, it would have been between Pr 6.5 and PrPro 1.0, because that was a total rewrite.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone coming upon this thread later, HERE is a similar, and slightly more recent one. Now, there are links to each, from the other.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And yes - a solo button would be great! That's something I've found myself looking for too.

I assume you found the Solo Button in Premiere    It is there in the Mixer panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Craig,

As I understand the two posters' desires, it is not the isolation of the Audio Tracks, but the physical dragging of ones, already populated up/down the order in the Timeline. I do this by just Adding/Deleteing Video, or Audio Tracks, as PrPro does not allow a Click-drag to move the entire Track into a new order. It's how these Tracks display in the vertical hierarchy in the Timeline, that they wish to alter on the fly.

However, I could have missed something.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2009 Aug 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel ya. I want this feature about 100 times a day now.

I think the people who don't see the need for this feature are older 'get the razor blade' types. No disrespect to them, but they're just so jazzed to not have to physically cut tape they don't understand that the bar has been raised.And my guess is they don't do many music videos.

It's what I call a 'micro-wave moment'. I never understood what all the fuss was about 'micro-wave ovens'. Until I got one. Now? I couldn't imagine not having one.

Other video editors -do- offer this feature and yeah -every- DAW does this.

The reason people want this is because we want to experiment! Duhhhhhhhhhhhh! We don't always 'storyboard'. We don't know what we want until we see it. We want to figure it out in the editing process. We're just moving junk around until -something- looks cool. There's no plan! I'm doing music videos and I wanna be able to instantly try lots of clips at various points in the song to see what looks coolest.

How this is used in DAWs is for 'comping'... creating a final take of, say, a vocal performance, from several takes. You move the tracks up and down to audition which version of each phrase sounds best because, as with Premiere, the top-most track is the one that 'plays'. That's what I want to do for video... instantly be able to audition which clip looks best at different points.

So... where does one post a feature request? I got toooooooons of 'em!

---JC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my years, I could probably have used this 3-4 times, though it's easy to see how others might use it much more.

Now, my stuff is not so "free form," and there is usually a script, even if just in my head, so my experimentation comes with my Effects and my Keyframes. Also, I do not do music videos, though many are edited to music, or the music is edited to them. I'm also a person, who grew up with cutting 1/4" audio tape on a splicing block, before I got my two 4-channel reel-to-reels, so I guess that I'm just happy to not have to do that anymore.

Each day, I still marvel at the joy and the power of doing work in an NLE. There were too many all-nighters over a Moviola, even the 8-plate unit that I got to work on sometimes. See, I remember when Bins were really "bins," and miles of film was hung from their racks. Oh, what I could have done with an NLE, way back when...

That Feature Request form is a good thing. I would urge all, who could use this feature, to post a request. Do not know how hard it would be for Adobe to add it, but they never will, unless they know that users could really use it.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the feature request form?

---JC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JC,

Sorry. I thought that I had posted it upthread. Here is the Feature Request link.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree it would be very handy to say grab a track header and drag or "nudge" it up or down. And this should be possible. The best (and simplest) UserVoice request for this I've seen is this one ... and yes, I've voted for it.

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/34734694-change-the-tracks-...

But your response can come across in some ways as condescending as that you see in Colin's post. It's a matter of perspective, isn't it?

And part of your response makes no sense to me ... why would you spend all the time moving a track the way you say is the only way possible in Premiere, when you can quickly select all on a track with the mouse, and then either drag it up/down with the mouse or use Alt-up/down to move that track up or down ... in a matter of seconds. ( I get we shouldn't have to ... but I also get doing what works now while asking for better UI.)

Given that with the Add Tracks dialog you can add tracks between current tracks, it takes a few seconds to add a new open track somewhere specific, select all on a currect track, and drag them there. Saying this can only be done in hours is a bit ... over board.

And all the audio work or video work done on a track stays with the track as you move it up or down ... why recreate it? I don't get that part.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should absolutely be able to move entire tracks on the video timeline up or down to re-arrange them. 

Alt/up-down on a newly created and renamed open track seems the best solution until the actual track rearrange feature is implemented. I'm still on 2017. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil, you are forgetting about TRACK based audio effects.  Perhaps you have never used track based audio processing, but only clip based.  It is true that clip based processing (i.e. dragging an audio effect directly onto a clip) will move with a clip, but track based effects (in track audio mixer at top of audio channel insert effect into an available effects slot with the drop down selector) WILL NOT follow the clip and furthermore, Premiere has no way to save effects presets or move/copy/paste audio effect inserted in the track effects slots.  For a single clip I think your way is best.  Put the audio effect on the clip and it goes with the clip easily to a new track.  What about 100 clips?  Isn't it easier to place an audio effect once on the track for those 100 clips.  What happens when you need to adjust the EQ/compression, etc.  Change it 100 times -- each clip, one at a time?  Or change it once on the audio track that those clips are on?  That's where the problem arises.  You've created the audio effect once on a track, not on the clips, but you now need to move the clips.  The existing or new track where you move the clips will not have that track based effect, and Premiere so lovingly does not provide a way to easily copy or move the effect from audio track to audio track.

You could speed up the per-clip method by using commands like remove attributes and paste attributes to apply or remove and re-apply all 100 clip effects in 1 go.  That may be a valid work-around to Adobe's broken implementation of track based audio effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh ... 2017. I've still got that installed on my desktop. Even used it a month or so back to re-touch an old project. Heck, I've even got 2015.2 loaded still. As with that one, SpeedGrade (which I also still have installed) is usable via that wondrous Direct Link.

But I'm not even running back to SpeedGrade like I used to. The newer apps have more and better things, and are working well, including color correction.

What specific things are requiring you to stay in 2017? Hardware issues, what? Out of curiousity.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(it seems i can not delete an answer, hmm)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, a shortcoming of this forum software. We had that useful feature in the previous forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blimey.

I posted the original question 11 years ago! People are still talking about it...

It's weird reading through the answers. I don't recognise myself. Who's that knowledgable articulate guy?

LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm very late to this discussion but it seems like the feature is still not available.  I'm working on a choir video, 25 voices/faces and now that I've got everyone on a track and synced, it would be nice to start organizing track order by simply dragging tracks up or down...yes, the same can be done by dragging the videos from track to track but I wouldn't have to worry about loosing sync if I just was dragging the whole track.  Just my two cents on this.

Carl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines