• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere 2024 Ripple Delete Freezes Everything

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2023 Oct 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an issue i'm having with Premiere Pro 2024, as I have just updated my software. It seems that ripple deleting has just been absolutely blown out in this version, or at least for my project file. 

I use "Q" and "W" to ripple delete footage. It does this action but the playhead will stay at the last spot it was at for about 10 seconds, my PC fans will roar up, then the playhead goes back to it's expected spot at the cut I made. I have a pretty good system and it's NEVER done this before today and it's becoming an absolute PAIN and quite literally UNUSABLE. It'll work when ripple deleting around 1-3 seconds of footage but then starts lagging when ripple deleting anything over 10 seconds.

And please, don't suggest the "revert back to old version" as a "f i x". Project files cannot be reverted back to older years of Premiere.

PC specifications:
GPU: RTX 3070
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X
RAM: 32GB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 29, 2024 Feb 29, 2024

I tested with the 24.2.1 Mac version and the bug seems to be fixed.  That's good news!

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 119 Replies 119
Participant ,
Nov 30, 2023 Nov 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More Information ---- VERY IMPORTANT ----
I checked all my preferences and I decided to change the location of the AUTOSAVE folder off the C: System Drive and placed it onto my X: Cache Drive.  C: System drive is the default location.  This new X: location fixed the problem for the next ten or so edits.  Then it went slow again, but not as slow as it was.
So, to clear, I changed the location of the AUTOSAVE folder and it has slightly improved the lagginess.
I will come back and complain again when I have more information.
Simon.

Simon.
Is it STILL broken?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this is going to help or not, but it looks strange to me.  Whilst working in Premiere, the only software currently running, it seems to have small amounts of activity running across all the logical processors.  I can't say I've ever noticed any software doing that before.  Even my 3D software doesn't do that.

CPU Activity.png

Simon.
Is it STILL broken?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @UK TV Professional,

I changed the location of the AUTOSAVE folder and it has slightly improved the lagginess.
I will come back and complain again when I have more information.
Simon.

By @UK TV Professional

Thanks for this observation!

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @UK TV Professional - Simon,

I read your reports. Sorry for the delay in responding, we are just getting into the office here on the west coast of the US. Thanks for all the info about your system and media.

I am not sure what is causing the delays and "laggy" behavior for your system when altering the duration of the timeline using various techniques. Very strange that it only happens with certain systems (you are not alone with the bug), and not everyone. It's mainly PC systems exhibiting this behavior, it seems. What do the systems have in common? NVIDIA GPUs is the only thing I can see so far. Both AMD and Intel CPU users see it.

Questions: does this situation occur on a brand new project? Does this sound like your issue? https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/version-23-6-ripple-delete-cutting-in-timeline-mass...

The devs cannot reproduce the error so far, nor can I, but I will try to see if I can get a reproducible case on my on PC (I normally use macOS). Sorry that I do not have any current solutions for the thread yet.

One user said that reinstalling the OS and Creative Cloud solved the issue: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/unable-to-delete-gaps-manually-with-delete-c...

Extreme, but I've had to do that a number of times over the years when I was a full-time editor (before Adobe). Rolling back to v.23.5 or earlier may help, as well.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin-Monahan,

Yes, I read the link, it's the same issue.  My timeline isn't 5 hours long, though.  Currently there's about 1 hour 20 on my timeline, which will all be smoothed out to around 20 minutes.  There won't be fewer shots though, it'll be the same amount of shots, just shorter.
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/version-23-6-ripple-delete-cutting-in-timeline-mass...

To give you an idication of how bad the slow-down is, it's taken me 7 hours to do what I normally do in 1.5 - 2 hours.  

Cheers

Simon

Simon.
Is it STILL broken?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2023 Aug 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue - Before the update to Version 23.6 (was using 23.5), when I would ripple delete a selected clip in the timeline, the timeline would automatically refocus to the new point at the start of the cut, as expected. This would happen instantly.

As of Version 23.6, the selected clip is removed, but the timeline does not refocus to the new point at the start immediately. Instead, the Premiere client stalls for about 10-20 seconds, then refocuses to the new point at the start of the cut. The entire program now freezes in this time frame, sometimes even crashing. As I am consistantly ripple deleting while editing audio and video, this tedious process has only become even more tedious as I now have to wait up to 20 seconds with a frozen program, an issue that has just now appeared in the new update and wasn't occuring in any previous version that I used.

Adobe Premiere Pro version number: 23.6

Operating system - Windows 10

System Info:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400F
GPU : GTX 1660

Steps to reproduce - Cutting/ripple deleting any piece of audio or video.

Expected result - Ripple delete the clip and move the timeline to the focus on the place of the cut.

Actual result -  Ripple delete the clip, freeze client for 10-20 seconds, then move the timeline to focus on the place of the cut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not getting that. I dropped two clips next to each other into a new project and timeline, went a ways in to the second clip and pressed Q, it ripple deleted and I could play right away.

PP 23.6
Win11 22H2

Is there some other thing I could do to test it, or can you try with 2 clips and a new project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of right now, this is happening with either video/audio clips, or strictly just audio and just video clips.

I'm working with strictly just audio at the moment and the issue is occuring, but it occurs in the other instances as well. When ripple deleting only audio clips, the same issues/bugs occur. I have to edit down hours upon hours of recorded audio, and the issue is causing it to crawl to a halt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the audio .wav? (good) .mp3 (bad)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.wav! Yeah I had learned a while back that MP3's shouldn't be used, WAV's are better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also I'm not sure if relevant to the issue, to me it feels like it is so I thought I'd mention it - but even decreasing the length of audio/video clips (not cutting, just clicking and dragging to reduce/increase their length depending on what's available) also causes the client to lag considerably.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say 'client' you mean the computer right?

In Preferences/Audio Hardware set default input to No Input.

See if that changes anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By client, I mean the Adobe Premiere Pro software. Sorry if I wasn't specific. My computer's running fine elsewhere, even during Premiere's glitches that I've laid out.

Preferences/Audio Hardware is already set to No Input, as I future-proofed that setting early on when I heard it gave people issues. I've had that off for a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2023 Aug 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find a fix? I'm getting this issue as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2023 Aug 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately no. The only solution is reverting to a previous version for now - I reverted to 22.0 and it works completely fine again, no performance issues whatsoever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2023 Sep 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have encountered the same bug on an Alienware R15 equipped with an RTX 4090, 64GB of RAM, and a 1TB PCIe NVMe SSD. I don't believe the issue is hardware-related, as I've experienced the same bug on different workstations and across all versions after 22.0. Could someone from Adobe test this? The issue is straightforward: in a timeline with 40-50 clips, removing a gap between clips causes the program to freeze for 5-20 seconds, depending on the number of clips in the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 17, 2023 Sep 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't usually experience the slow performance reported over the last several years. Your test seemed straightforward, so I gave it a go.

I opened an older project in 23.6, probably started in PR 2022. 13-and-a-half-minute timeline, dozens of primarily mp4 clips, dozens of jpg's, a dozen or so graphics. Not big, but not tiny.

When I opened and accepted the "converting" to 23.6, all opened okay. Progress Dashboard still shows 10 more minutes to relink media. After it was done, there was a lot of "generating peak files." There are no gaps in the timeline. I have "duplicate frame markers" off. (Some users have reported that can have an effect on some slow performance situations.)

I created a gap by deleting a clip (video and audio) and a second audio clip in that spot. Ripple delete and Close gap both result in instant display of the change and the ability to click on another clip.

Turned on duplicate frame markers; no difference.

i7 11700K 3.6GHz 8 Core 16MB RAM 64.0 GB
Windows 10
NVIDIA RTX 3070, 8GB VRAM, Studio Driver 536.23

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this exact problem today and reverting to an older version of Premiere instantly fixed it. No more lag when ripple deleting.

System:

Win10

i9-9900K

RTX2080Ti

64Gb RAM

-

Could it be that this is only happening on Windows 10?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2023 Oct 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue of long lags when ripple delete (and also on copy/paste) on 23.3+ and 24.0.  Reverted to 23.2 works smoother.

I'm on macOS 13.6 with an Intel Core i9 iMac 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2023 Oct 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also having the same exact issue. even in PP24

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2023 Nov 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing I could find out to fix this, was to decrease the amount of source clips in one sequence or lower the entire sequence below 5 hours. I moved one clip from my working sequence and worked on that without any issues and then I tried to put back the rest of my enormous sequence into newly made working one until the freezing started again. Hope this helps someone at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same exact issue. this isn't some matter of file type or preference. regardless of h234 or MP3 (which high end computers and earlier versions of premiere have zero issue with decoding) it will lock up as if it's trying to rescan and process every piece of media in your project. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. I'll move the info into the bug report. I'll do my best to advocate for a fix. Meanwhile, a user has solved the issue by reinstalling the OS and Creative Cloud. Seems extreme, but it worked for them.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am struggling to use Adobe Premiere.  It's extremely slow on any operation that alters the duration of the timeline; EXTRACT, INSERT, etc.  You press the operation and then wait 5 to 10 seconds to be given back control of the interface and for it to update.

I've added much more information about the problem on another thread:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/adobe-premiere-pro-24-0-0-still-laggy/m-p/14...

My computer is no slouch;
Threadripper Pro 3975WX
256GB RAM (DDR4)
RTX A6000 Graphics Card - Yes, the expensive one
System Drive: M.2 NVME 1TB
Project Drive: M.2 NVME 1TB
Cache Drive: M.2 NVME 1TB
Video Files A: M.2 NVME 1TB
Video Files B: M.2 NVME 1TB
Renders Drive: M.2 NVME 1TB
Cache Files Drive: M.2 NVME 1TB
Windows 11 Pro
Latest Drivers on everything, I checked yesterday.
This worked last week.
This week it's awful.
Adobe Premiere 24.0.3

I've deleted the cache.
I've started premiere holding shift and choosing to rest everything
My media is HD 1080 @ 29;97fps
Mostly DNxHD
Some Drone MP4
Some Mobile Phone Footage H264 4:2:0

Adobe Premiere is unusable, but I have deadlines.

Simon

Simon.
Is it STILL broken?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @UK TV Professional - Simon, and anyone else on the thread,

The devs ask if you cold check if the issue occurs after making the media offline. They are also wondering if you could upload the project file so I can share it with them. Feel free to PM me the link.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines