Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere pro cc 2018 & 2019 freezes

Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm having lots of problems with both premiere pro CC 2018 & 2019 and it started to accrue 3 days ago, before that everything ran smoothly on my computer.

After I had issues with the 2018 version I've decided to update to 2019 to hopefully solve the problem. 

The program suddenly freezes with no reason, I can still move the cursor and click on buttons but the source and program monitor are not working. In different cases, it will show me "media pending".

After that, I need to close the program but it won't close until I close it manually from the task manager.

My computer:

Lenovo legion y720

I7

16G RAM

512SSD (The project is on the computer after I thought that maybe the problem is related to my external hard disk)

Geforce 1060 GTX (I've updated the drivers)

I've tried to find a solution online and I couldn't find any, This is a huge problem for me because I'm wasting a lot of time on restarting the program more than 10 times a day.

Thanks,

Ron

TOPICS
Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 30, 2019 Nov 30, 2019

Hey, after pulling my hair out I finally found a version of settings that work flawlessly. The problem for me sounds like it was related to insufficient RAM speed(not capacity) and a weird codec used for my source files. SO I did the following:

Installed HandBreak, and whatever source files from my camera I have, I converted to MP4, Web Optimized, Aling A/V Start on the Vimeo Youtube HQ 2160 p60 4K preset with the Fast Decode checkbox on Video tab active. 

After that, I went into Task Manager an

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 100 Replies 100
Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2018 Dec 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about saving the project on your internal drive? Not on in Creative Cloud. BTW I’m not an Adobe Employee. Just a end user. I’ve experience everything mentioned here. But my 3 suggestions worked great for me. Just wanted to offer what worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also try saving your project on an internal drive. Not on the cloud.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2018 Dec 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never save to the cloud. I always use an internal drive. Using the cloud to save large video projects makes no sense to me as professional video editor. To many ways to loose or slow down the video editing proces.

Either way, I found the issue and it was still Adobe’s software causing the problem. I had to reformat the video files to a different MP4 format. PP doesn’t like .MOV files so I had to reformat all of my clips. Then Media Encoder messed that up and had audio sync issues so I had to reformat again with Handbreak. Two and a half hours wasted because P.P. dosent like .MOV files and their encoder couldn’t format the files properly.

I think I’m going to stop paying for PP and pay for a different company that does a better job with their software updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2018 Dec 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i've tried a few things. What i did just now that seemed to help was changing the view in the Project panel. I had it on thumbnail view, but when i changed it back to 'list' view, premiere seemed to be more responsive. Will give an update. Don't know why because i wasn't even close to using my 64gb of Ram.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a repost of my suggestions. I'll take a look at DaVinci as you mentioned below. Thanks!

Here's a few things that has helped me so far with having the same issues.

1. Make sure All tabs in the Project Panel are in List View.

2.Update graphics driver ( download the update DIRECTLY from the manufacturer website....ie NIVIDIA.COM for me.

3. Make sure your project is saved on your internal drive, NOT on Creative Cloud

So far these steps have helped me. Will update if it goes awry again. Crossing fingers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2018 Dec 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have to say, so far so good. Not one crash after the 3 things i've mentioned above. I haven't had the habit of using proxies, and my video clips were relatively large, so in thumbnail mode i guess premiere was struggling in loading them. In list mode i just label them in the comments section to know what the clip is about. Will update if it starts crashing again. But it seems pretty smooth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2019 Feb 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently started having some of these issues on PP 2019. Can't say for sure what triggered it, but tried uninstall / reinstall of Premiere, deleting prefs (although that's nearly impossible with the 'hold down alt' method, as that just brings up the properties panel of my shortcut icon), and was ready to call Adobe and ask for help when I found this thread.

However, after reading through it, the one thing that seems to have miraculously fixed the issues is setting the Project browser to list view, as @allnet mentioned. Did that, and poof, everything works fine. Not a great fix in general, but definitely a workaround that keeps me er, working. Hopefully that will work for anyone else as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try reformatting the video files that you are editing. I had the same issues until I reformatted all the clips to h.264/mp4 and then I started all over again. Every clip that I was handling were .MOV files. Once I reformatted with Handbreak, playback was faster and I was able to edit again. Hope this helps Even thougah it’s months later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

timdiddySimptai   zechariah  benwinter  ilyaz24884913 tomisegoriaelasater818  lucies96215132  allnet  Neofilm GUZMAN07

I've checked the thread and saw that all of us are having the same issues with premiere.

did any of you manage to resolve it?

if so, what did you do?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I downgraded to CC 2018. I could close my last Project this way. It still freezes but not so bad as CC 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No solve yet.

I have had temporary solutions such as
disabling mercury transmit
disabling 2nd monitors
refusing to touch the projects bin.

I have reinstalled OS, done a graphics card and drivers update, removed and reinstalled adobe.
No solution yet.

Unfortunately because some of my customers bring me project on premiere, I can't just migrate to avid.

I would drag myself over broken glass to kiss the arse of the person who can find a solution.
because right now my livelihood is compromised.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem if I have a second monitor connected. When I disconnect the monitor, the bug will disappear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2018 Dec 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I had another session with Adobe support 2 days ago.

We repaired all of the visual C++ drivers

We restored (for the 10th time) my premiere preferences

We ran the software as administrator

I've managed to work with it 10 minutes without crashing and I told them that on Wednesday (which is today) that I'm going to work on it for a while to see if there are any more crashes.

After less than 10 minutes the software froze - media pending, you can move and press buttons but nothing is working and I can only close it via task manager - the same problem that I had 2 months ago.

I will hopefully finish this project and than Im Out of Adobe - I said it before but I'm stuck with them for this last project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. Every 10-15 minutes. It's awful.

My computer was 5 years old. So I tried getting a new computer. Still the same problem.

Adobe, please help or I'm seriously through with Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2019 Jun 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same exact problem. Davinci Resolve evaluation will begin this week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 11, 2019 Jun 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please let me know how it goes! I'm soooo incredibly busy right now it's impossible to transition at this moment. I was just in New York (from NC) for a shoot and when I was there I went into BH Photo and noticed DaVinci Resolve on one of the computers there. They also had final cut on another and I didn't see premiere on any of them. DaVinci looked really nice! I didn't have a chance to toy with it though, someone else was already... So, please let me know your thoughts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having major issues since a week ago.

I noticed after completing a wedding, my speeches exported video had 2-3 minutes of green frames. I got around this utilising multiple failed exports, taking them into premiere and overlaying them then exporting them with green parts cut out.

My next few projects of weddings I've noticed my 4k 10bit .mov files from a GH5 (never ever been a problem!) are freezing on encode at X%...it will get over it but the exported video then has green frames for 2-3 minutes at time of freeze.

I've also now noticed 4k 8 bit files on 1/4 quality struggling to scrub through and freezing in preview screen whilst audio still works, buttons work.

I've done everything, updated Windows, updated/rolledback GPU drivers, reinstalled PP2018 and 2019, deleted cache, preferences - you name it. Listed project files rather than thumbnails.

Here's where we get weird...wweddings I've completed a month ago which didn't have an issue upon editing suddenly give problems on encoding/green frames.

I can transcode the 10bit files in Handbrake to .mp4 and they seem to export fine.

I've tried Davinci Resolve 15 today with all 4k 8bit as 10bit only supported with full version and I can scrub through fine.

I'm feeling Premiere has an issue with .mov all of a sudden? I've wasted 6 days on this issue now not being able to edit.

I can't face using handbrake on 300+ videos for multiple weddings I've shot. Time for Davinci? :S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you do an XML export? If so, you could just export this project to davinci, fcp, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

personally, I just want to muscle through the project I'm currently doing before I learn a new editing program. I'm curious though, when I end my adobe subscription do you think I'll be able to access previous projects enough to do an XML export to start working with them in another program like DR?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neofilm  wrote

when I end my adobe subscription do you think I'll be able to access previous projects enough to do an XML export to start working with them in another program like DR?

No.  When the subscription ends, you can't open the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You won't be able to access Premiere Pro without a subscription - sorta. You can download a trial and then open your project and export them. But exporting the XML is quick and easy, so I would do it now for any older project you might revisit and this one when you are done. Also export the AAF.

You could also export the XML and then open your project in an older version of Premiere Pro. Exporting Premiere Pro projects for other applications

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just started happening to me too, as of a couple of days ago.  Projects begin stuttering and then just freeze up, like the above poster every 10 - 15 minutes, requiring a restart of the program and in more extreme cases a reboot. 

In October 2018, I completely overhauled my PC to be able to do my work quickly and efficiently (intel i7 3.7GB, 64GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti) so this is definitely a software issue on Adobe's side.  I am up-to-date on all applications with the intervention of Adobe CC.

I'm curious as to why I have both Premiere Pro 2018 and 2019 installed side-by-side- is 2018 still necessary, and if so, are there driver conflicts between the two as 2019 may be defaulting to an older version when trying to export, preview, etc?

Honestly I've never had so many problems with the Adobe software until they forced me to go to their CC subscription.  I'd have been happy dropping the $7xx to just buy the standalone software and be done with it, since much of the time I work offline anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to try DaVinci Resolve. I've been hearing great things about it. And, it's not $7xx, it's free and for the full version that decodes/runs with h.264 better it's only a one time payment of $300. Or the full version is free with a black magic camera. I haven't gotten DR yet because I'm too deep in a documentary with Premiere. But, I'm about to build a new system and I'll be putting DR on that because I'm beyond as sick as I can be at Adobe. I truly don't believe they thoroughly test their updates on anything even remotely similar to a real project. As much money as they're sucking from us and all the institutions they could easily invest in having beta testers with various computers and various complex projects before they roll out garbage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, every time there's an update people go through an ordeal and recommend all others not to update. It does seem that adobe does not sufficiently invest in testing their updates bcoz there are always serious issues which cost user a lot of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully this willl resolve your issue...

I never had problems with premiere before, until now. I'm editing a wedding and it just would quit and even shut down my computer and I didn't know what to do. I was at the point to almost trash everything and begin all over again, until I decided that I would move everything to another disk and voila!  It looks as it was it.

Regards

Paola

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines