• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere saves weird files in weird folders in werid moments...

Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

For some reason I don't understand, every time I open Premiere '24 my download folder becomes full of weird old files that I imported to Premiere months ago for different projects. Almost like it's using that folder as a scratch disk, but not sure. any suggestions? this has happened on my harddrive as well, filling it up with massive big files that I didn't export... not sure what's happening, and it happens only by opening the project. sometimes it gets even worse if I render... please help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

About those "weird old files that I imported to Premiere months ago" :

If you imported media from your /Downloads directory into a PPro project, that media will still reside in your /Downloads directory. It's unsurprising that they would persist; importing media into PPro projects doesn't move the source media.

Confirming: Until you open PPro, your /Downloads directory does not contain those same files? Media files that only appear when you launch PPro would be super weird...

"Massive big files th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 05, 2024 Apr 05, 2024

"finale finale con rendering", with the VLC icon = an .mxf file; the lack of audio was probably the result of your AAF export settings.

"finale finale Con rendering.mxf.xmp" = the XMP metadata, associated with the .mxf file. [This was generated because of the metadata export settings in place, when the .mxf was rendered.]

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About those "weird old files that I imported to Premiere months ago" :

If you imported media from your /Downloads directory into a PPro project, that media will still reside in your /Downloads directory. It's unsurprising that they would persist; importing media into PPro projects doesn't move the source media.

Confirming: Until you open PPro, your /Downloads directory does not contain those same files? Media files that only appear when you launch PPro would be super weird...

"Massive big files that I didn't export": Are those files named after sequences in your project? What type(s) of files are they? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would understand if they persist, the odd thing is that they reappear every time i just opne premiere.

and the big files, yes, they have different names, usually the same name of the sequence rather than the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirming (sorry to sound pedantic, but the behavior you're describing is unprecedented):

• Open /Downloads directory; confirm that there are N items present.
  • Launch PPro.
  • Open /Downloads directory; confirm that there are now N + X items present, where X is non-zero. 

Do I have that right?

If so...what are the names of the files that magically appear, when PPro is launched?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2024 Apr 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is correct. although they do not create themselves just by starting premire, but when i try to export a project. it creates other files that have odd names, names of sequences or old titles that i gave to previous files that I've exported in the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 04, 2024 Apr 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you provide all available specifics, about those "files that have odd names, names of sequences or old titles that i gave to previous files that I've exported in the past"???

It would be interesting to get a list of files in your output directory, before and after the export. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2024 Apr 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

 here you can see the before and after. the file that I tried to export was a AAF file called "for davide". but it also exported these other files. the first one, "finale finale con rendering" si a MXF file bigger than 30gb. my whole project is about 36min in lenght, what that file is is just the last 6 min of the project, and it doesn't have any audio. also the name "finale finale" is the name of one of the sequences.

also the AAF file is just 3mb, not sure if that's how it's supposed to be considering that it's 36min of audio.

... any insight? maybe it's using it as some sort of scratch disk? I have no clue what's going on.

Screenshot 2024-04-05 145727 adobe.png

Screenshot 2024-04-05 154730 adobe.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh, also premiere didn't work (was crashing because unable to export because it wasn't updated. but when i tried to update it said "update failed") so i disinstalled and reinstalled it again. and this problem is still there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"finale finale con rendering", with the VLC icon = an .mxf file; the lack of audio was probably the result of your AAF export settings.

"finale finale Con rendering.mxf.xmp" = the XMP metadata, associated with the .mxf file. [This was generated because of the metadata export settings in place, when the .mxf was rendered.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2024 Apr 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- "finale finale con rendering", with the VLC icon = an .mxf file; the lack of audio was probably the result of your AAF export settings.

I would understand that if that mfx file was the same lenght as the AAF i was trying to export. but it wasn't, the AFF was supposed to be 36 min but the mfx was a video of the last 6 min...? and it's also super big in size. Plus, to try to export this AFF, I tried to separate the audio for the video and put it in a different sequence and export just that, with no video on the timeline. So how can it export a video...?

also I can't seem to be able to export this AFF, that file is just 3mb and it should be much bigger. I'm quite losing my mind around this...

- "finale finale Con rendering.mxf.xmp" = the XMP metadata, associated with the .mxf file. [This was generated because of the metadata export settings in place, when the .mxf was rendered.]

ok, but then why doesn't it delete itself when the export is over?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 06, 2024 Apr 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would understand that if that mfx file was the same lenght as the AAF i was trying to export. but it wasn't, the AFF was supposed to be 36 min but the mfx was a video of the last 6 min...?

No idea; perhaps you inadvertantly exported only a portion of the sequence...?

>Plus, to try to export this AFF, I tried to separate the audio for the video and put it in a different sequence and export just that, with no video on the timeline. So how can it export a video...?

Without the actual project and steps you're following, we can't provide meaningful guidance about [above].

>I can't seem to be able to export this AFF, that file is just 3mb and it should be much bigger. I'm quite losing my mind around this...

Unless media is embedded, AAF files don't need to be large. 

> ok, but then why doesn't it delete itself when the export is over?

I have no idea what's clearing out your destination directory.

In my experience, no files delete themselves;  also, PPro does not delete .xmp side car files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines