• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Better project management

LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We often need to collect the project for transfering or archiving purposes. When collecting - all assets will be collected in one folder which is a bit messy....it would be great if files can be collected in 2 ways:
- following the Premiere project bin structure
Or
- following the folder structure on hard drive
That would help us a lot in keeping the collected projects organized.
Idea Under review
TOPICS
User experience or interface

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023
Thanks for all the feedback so far.

It is one of many areas we are looking into.

Votes

Translate

Translate
86 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, the copying files function would be amazing if you can copy the original files trimmed without having to transcode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@anonymous - yes...that will be a great feature for archiving definitely!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! This would also simplify fixing project structures provided by producers if we could just force it to match the structure provided in Premiere (which is best practice at our station anyway) that would solve a lot of problems for us

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm very much on board with this. After Effects has this functionality, copying the folder structure you create within AE's project panel. My edit projects usually have WAY more assets, with WAY more bins. Being able to retain that organization in a collected project just makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be nice to see an estimation of time of the current Project Manager Export. Not only the bar moving.

Also it would be nice to have it exported in the background, while editing on another project. Or to have it exported via Media Encoder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feature would be very welcome as dumping all media into a single folder - as is currently the case - has led to a lot of confusion in transferring our projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The archiving function should be improved. With smaller projects it works quite well, however, as soon as the projects get bigger and the most different kind of footage in the project is it sometimes does not work at all with consolidation. Clips are no longer trimmed correctly, I can't choose codecs for different source material. Why should I convert an H264 codec to a DNxHD just because the rest is converted to DNxHD.
It would be ideal if the existing codec were only cut with handles and not converted into another codec. H264 becomes H264, .r3d becomes .r3d, ProRes becomes ProRes (or ProRes becomes DNxHD or Cineform on PC) etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same on my projects. You can get everything in but when it comes to archiving ist a disaster. We edit about 120 Projects a year. I cannot store every project on my fast editing hard disk. I have to consolidate the footage for later adaptions. But unfortionately it is not possible with Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use project manager I'm pleasantly surprised when it works, I always expect errors and usually I'm right to do so.

After Effects by comparison is much better at both removing unused files and copying to a new location, it works flawlessly for me every time. I don't see why Premiere Pro should be any different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish someone from Adobe gives their comment on this??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe!!!! Any thoughts??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a very important feature! Please, Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Come on. This should be a no-brainer

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree on this!

At the very least: Premiere should be able to copy the original hard drive folder structure to the new destination root folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is definitely an area where we'd like to make improvements. Thanks for the feedback. We will take this into consideration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks ADOBE, I am delighted to see my idea taken into the consideration!
I am Premiere user since 1995 and literally i spend my life in Adobe environment 😉 So happy to see how Premiere evolved in this 23 years!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vote up for this as well. Respecting the source media folder name would be amazing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yes. Oh yes yes yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possibly adding a export protocol with all clips listed like the marker export?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In it's simplest form, keeping the existing OS folder structure without collecting all of the assets in 1 folder would be phenomenal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't even get the Project Manager to output a small portion of our film to a consolidated directory with all required assets. This means that I need to give the DP the entire 18TB project, instead of only the media he needs to grade the film. Right now the Project Manager just quits after thinking for a few minutes with an error, asking me to try again. It's disappointing that the engineers actually coded in a message that says I should try again. This shows an awareness of randomness and instability with the code base that is disturbing. Regardless, I did try again. Nothing changed. And yes, flattening all of the consolidated media into one directory (if it did work) is extremely messy on a large project and I second the motion to maintain an original directory tree from the source material.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like a simple, effective way of consolidating an edited project. Quit forcing me to conform my footage to a single format!!!!.

FCP 7 had the option to simply trim and not transcode source material for a media managed backup, and this was available over 10 years ago!!!!!

Why will adobe not add this feature? I could trim the project, and not lose any quality from my source material through re-encodes! I would love to have this as a feature!!!!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ADD IT ASAP!

When working on a project with multiple formats, resolutions and codecs, your Project Manager is useless!!!!

All I get are Audio mismatch errors, unknown errors, and entire original footage clips copied to the backup folder because you are constraining me to transcode all footage to one format that may be incompatible with some of the source material. **** even freeware like MPEG Streamclip can trim without re-encoding.

The Project Manger is the absolute weakest feature of Premiere. I am offering you a simple solution that I feel would make most editors content with the backup performance.

FIX IT!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, FCP 7 had a media management system that simply trimmed and left source material in its original codec and wrapper.

I would love to see that in Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate