• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cursor Frame Behavior (Affecting In Out, Ripple Edits)

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cursor Frame Behavior (Affecting In Out, Ripple Edits).

Ok team, I know you had some guy complain about how the Cursor works in the timeline, and now you changed how it works, which completely screwed over the Ripple Trim to Previous Edit.

What WORKED before yesterday was if you were on the front of a clip in the timeline, and you hit the Ripple Trim to Previous Edit, it would remove the first frame and obviously move the entire timeline up a frame to compensate.

THIS WAS INSANELY HANDY because if you're trimming a clip, you could just hit that button a few times and make it work right.

Now, because you guys changed how the cursor works, I have to hit Right on my keypad, and then hit the Ripple edit button, and it'll remove that first frame.

Guys, you seriously screwed over an entire generation of editos who know how editing works. I know some people complain about how the cursor works, but this sucks.

Why not just create a preference option where you can make the Cursor act like FILM or act like it is now. All NLEs were based on film editing, which lots of people expect and relied upon. Now, I have to hit an extra keystroke all the time which is massively time consuming.

Can you please just put in a preference option to revert back or not? That would solve this issue for everyone instead of bowing to people that don't understand NLE history.
Idea Started
TOPICS
Editing and playback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
65 Comments
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second this!! I've been trimming for years this way and now the entire workflow is slowed down big time

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I agree.

I am reverting back to the old version until they change this.

The definitely need to fix this ASAP. This is easily my most used shortcut and speeds up my workflow an enormous amount. 

How is there now option to delete/trim just one frame in front of the playhead!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance we can get confirmation on whether this is a bug or a feature? I can't find it listed anywhere in the change notes listed here: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/whats-new/2022.html

This has to be a bug, right? Why would anyone change this after it's been this way for so many years?

EDIT: Turns out it's neither and it's actually supposed to be a bug fix:

"Ripple Trim shortcut will slip one frame."

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/fixed-issues.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second this. At the very least can we get a toggle? I have nearly 6 years of muscle memory using ripple trim to adjust clips one frame at a time and this won’t be a trivial thing to get over. Thanks for your consideration!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did this happen? This is one of the most fundamental tools I needed to quickly cut interviews. I truly thought I was going insane so thank you for making this post. I have a lot of cutting to get through the next few days and I'm so frustrated that they made this change. I'm going to try and revert back to an older version for as many of these projects as possible. Hopefully we can get a response from Adobe regarding this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I tried out the new version for a while and I got to thinking. Here's a fix that could please everyone that's a combination of the old and new ripple trim.

NEW: When doing a ripple trim in the middle of a clip, the new could remain the way it is where it doesn't trim the frame the playhead is on.

OLD: But then! When the playhead rests at the beginning of the clip, a ripple trim could then trim one frame at a time like the old behavior.

This seems ideal to me and would please both fans of the old behavior and the new behavior. People who liked the old behavior I don't think cared about 1 frame being cut off for ripple trims in the middle of a clip (I don't anyway). And people who like the new behavior won't care if pressing ripple trim at the beginning of a clip takes one frame away because they weren't using ripple trim that way anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please fix this. I’ve reinstalled the older version until this is fixed. Losing this ability increases editing time greatly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why the sudden change to such an important operation?
Doesn't anyone on the development team use Premiere pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second this!!! please fix it asap!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, fix this, or set in a way we can toggle on/off. Its very very handy to cut interviews. I feel like losing one leg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my goodness, please fix this, this is absolutely key to editing quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Commenting one more time on this because MY GOODNESS I need this feature back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not believe how you could just delete this feature!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know if this has been fixed yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use E/R as frame advance left one right one frame and keep Q/W as ripple trim so if you have it mapped like that you just have to bounce between R and Q on the keyboard with the left hand. Its not so bad but yeah I can see how this is annoying if you are left on default keyboard mapping.

My keyboard shortcuts are loosely based on this guy's. Sort of changed my life ha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB_-WaDsTlE

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please fix this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FIX!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are absolutely right, this is the reason why I've not upgraded because it makes the edit process slower.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This change actually makes it so ripple trim is less handy in another way.

Say I have a clip in V1 and a clip in V2 in picture 3. If I want to ripple trim and remove the excess in V1, I can't do it in one stroke anymore.

I used to be able to go one frame back, then ripple trim (picture 2). And end up with picture 1.

Now, I have to use Add Edit and then manually delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*use of a translator

I also very much agree.
This fix is ​​really the worst fix ever.
If this is a bugfix, why hasn't this bug been fixed for a long time?
This was a very useful feature when doing precise 1f edits, but now it's completely trash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installed the new v22 update. Checked to see it functionality had been restored. Deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe's Team,

Hope this finds you well and safe.

The solution that Adobe is proposing makes us go through 3 steps instead of one. So, you can understand our frustration with a software we are paying for and at every upgrade makes us face similar challenges.

To use a previous version of Premiere Pro should never, and I mean, never be suggested as a solution, because:

1) We pay for the service, so we expect it to be working 100% and that we will be able to install the latest version as soon as it's released (unfortunately, that rarely happens);

2) We as editors have to be up to date with the latest versions, because most of our clients/agencies today, do have their Premiere Pro also installed, so can you imagine how "nice" it is for us to have to explain to them or even warn them not to install the latest updates due to bugs? If it looks bad for us, can you imagine how bad does it look for Adobe?

3) Editing is a beautiful and ever evolving craft, therefore the workflow keeps changing, because we are always finding new ways to improve it. Thus, the normal protocol is not always the best protocol, because in this case, it makes us spend 3x the time we would, should we have this feature available. Can you imagine, if we were to go back in time and tell Dziga Vertov, Sergei Eisenstein, and Thelma Schoonmaker that they shouldn’t make the changes to the way that they did things because they were breaking protocols? I don't think so, therefore the explanation we received from Adobe on why this feature was removed does not work for me either!

Thanking Adobe’s Team in advance for their time, because I am sure you will speed this up and get this sorted for us, before we reach 2022.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also use this on a daily basis! Unfortunately, as it often happens with Adobe upgrades, the "bug" is the fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I have definitely noticed this. It is driving me nuts. I loved being able to do that. Please bring back the previous functionality of Ripple Trim to Previous Edit!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate