• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cursor Frame Behavior (Affecting In Out, Ripple Edits)

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cursor Frame Behavior (Affecting In Out, Ripple Edits).

Ok team, I know you had some guy complain about how the Cursor works in the timeline, and now you changed how it works, which completely screwed over the Ripple Trim to Previous Edit.

What WORKED before yesterday was if you were on the front of a clip in the timeline, and you hit the Ripple Trim to Previous Edit, it would remove the first frame and obviously move the entire timeline up a frame to compensate.

THIS WAS INSANELY HANDY because if you're trimming a clip, you could just hit that button a few times and make it work right.

Now, because you guys changed how the cursor works, I have to hit Right on my keypad, and then hit the Ripple edit button, and it'll remove that first frame.

Guys, you seriously screwed over an entire generation of editos who know how editing works. I know some people complain about how the cursor works, but this sucks.

Why not just create a preference option where you can make the Cursor act like FILM or act like it is now. All NLEs were based on film editing, which lots of people expect and relied upon. Now, I have to hit an extra keystroke all the time which is massively time consuming.

Can you please just put in a preference option to revert back or not? That would solve this issue for everyone instead of bowing to people that don't understand NLE history.
Idea Started
TOPICS
Editing and playback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
65 Comments
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please fix this! Was excited to upgrade to 22 until I realized I couldn't hit Q to delete a frame at a time at the beginning of a clip. Use this constantly in my work and having to work around it slows things down considerably.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please fix. Can't use any new versions until you do and it feels like a rip off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope the tool can turn this off and on again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Need this feature back, I'll be stuck on PPro 2021 forever as I use it all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need a fix for this, NOW! IT'S RUINING MY WORKFLOW!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going into 2022 with no fix for this?

Can someone please post here if they have any updates.

I cant keep updating the new version just to find out that it has not been fixed and then having to roll back again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Team... please restore this functionality. I'm using plugins that aren't playing nice with the old version of Premiere, but I literally cannot upgrade until this is fixed. It makes something that took one key stroke now take two keystrokes. I see that this post is on the top page of requests, so I really hope you see this and respond soon. It's been months and months and still no word from you all. Please fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a critical function for my editing workflow, I can't use Premiere Pro without it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

revert back pls

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jesus why has this not been fixed yet? When you think that something most of your user love is a bug and you "fixed" it, how can you not revert it back ASAP when people are clearly upset how this "fix" negatively impact their workflow and is a step backward. ITS BEEN MORE THAN 2 MONTHS, DO SOMETHING

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do we have ANY news on this one ? I rly rly need that feature for may daily work! That speeds things up so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please please PLEASE revert this back to how it was. This should never have been considered a bug but rather the way it should work and is driving me insane. It's taking twice as long to complete this task for absolutely no reason. Why would Q not delete a frame at the start if it does it one frame forward? Makes no sense.
thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is this still not resolved?....

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, FIX THIS, ADOBE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know if this has been fixed yet or if they are even looking at doing it...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys, come on! It's a choice of preferences. Give us the option to just turn this feature on!
I want to work in new versions of the program that have this feature. It's very easy to do, just 1 checkbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please reinstate this bug as a formal feature. Longing for it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, all.
I also greatly miss this "feature." Even though it only ever worked with Q. That is, hitting W multiple times does not and has never trimmed off one frame at a time from the RIGHT side of a clip. So I can see that maybe Adobe wanted some consistency up in here.

Anyway, I wanted to be able to tell you guys that I found a fix for this in the console debug database, but I didn't.
If you don't know, you get to it by hitting CTRL F12, clicking the triple line "hamburger" on the panel that appears, and selecting "debug database view."

WARNING: THIS IS DANGEROUS. DO NOT FIDDLE AROUND IN HERE OR CHANGE ANY DEFAULTS UNLESS YOU REALLY KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING. IF PREMIERE CRASHES HORRIBLY, IT'S YOUR OWN FAULT. DON'T CALL ADOBE ANDD WHINE ABOUT IT. HERE BE DRAGONS.

Anyway, the only setting I've ever changed in here was "FE.AllowMultipleOpenProjects" to false. Though, these days, I leave it at "true," as I actually prefer it now.

I was hoping that perhaps this behaviour change would also have been added to the console.
I took screenshots of the entire console database in Premiere 2021, and also of Premiere 2022. Then I stitched them together in photoshop, and sent the whole thing through a free online optical character recognition program. Now I have the plain text of both. Putting them into notepad++ and running the "compare" plugin, now I can see what items were added, deleted, or had their default values changed!

And so can you! Here you go!
https://pastebin.com/xEqkWyp1
https://pastebin.com/uKr6YrrG

"Use AdobeCleanUX in V7" is a new item, for example. I tried changing its value from TRUE to FALSE, but the ripple trim behaviour was unaffected. Maybe you'd have to restart premiere before it'll actaully take effect. I have no idea.
I tried changing several other commands, but each time, the ripple behaviour remained unchanged. It is POSSIBLE that it's in here, but might even need multiple lines to be changed... but it's just not worth the risk.

I've put all of mine back at the default values. Someone else may wish to continue my "research," which is why I uploaded the lists. Good luck! Be super careful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the easiest way for Adobe to "fix" this would be to add two more shortcuts, and name them thusly:
Ripple Trim Next Edit To Playhead (repeat to trim 1 more frame)
Ripple Trim Previous Edit To Playhead (repeat to trim 1 more frame)

So, editors who are used to working the old way, could assign "Ripple Trim Previous Edit To Playhead (repeat to trim 1 more frame)" to Q, and "Ripple Trim Next Edit To Playhead" to W.
Also, editors could try putting "Ripple Trim Next Edit To Playhead (repeat to trim 1 more frame)" on W and see if it's just as useful as the complementary shortcut is on Q.

Anyway. So long as experienced editors know about it, this will make everyone happy. No need to add another weird setting. All we need are two extra shortcuts to use. (or just the one for Q, but now I'm curious to know how useful the same functionality would be on W.)

Adobe, I hope this makes sense! Okay, bye! Sorry for talking about the console! (They don't like that)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe. Fix this or be slapped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding my name to the sea of voices. I can't believe something I originally thought was an error just got completely worked into my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reposting Stepen Gardner's exact idea because this STILL HAS NOT BEEN ADDRESSED.

Cursor Frame Behavior (Affecting In Out, Ripple Edits)
Cursor Frame Behavior (Affecting In Out, Ripple Edits).

Ok team, I know you had some guy complain about how the Cursor works in the timeline, and now you changed how it works, which completely screwed over the Ripple Trim to Previous Edit.

What WORKED before yesterday was if you were on the front of a clip in the timeline, and you hit the Ripple Trim to Previous Edit, it would remove the first frame and obviously move the entire timeline up a frame to compensate.

THIS WAS INSANELY HANDY because if you're trimming a clip, you could just hit that button a few times and make it work right.

Now, because you guys changed how the cursor works, I have to hit Right on my keypad, and then hit the Ripple edit button, and it'll remove that first frame.

Guys, you seriously screwed over an entire generation of editos who know how editing works. I know some people complain about how the cursor works, but this sucks.

Why not just create a preference option where you can make the Cursor act like FILM or act like it is now. All NLEs were based on film editing, which lots of people expect and relied upon. Now, I have to hit an extra keystroke all the time which is massively time consuming.

Can you please just put in a preference option to revert back or not? That would solve this issue for everyone instead of bowing to people that don't understand NLE history.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is the sole reason I am not updating to 2022! it was such an incredible help when doing fine selects. trimming one frame with ripple trim at the clip's begin absolutely needs to come back

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel like this will nit get resolved so I am sticking with 2021 ...

Votes

Translate

Translate