• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How about focusing on making this the most rock solid editing platform

Participant ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stop finding new gimmicks that hardly anyone uses, yes they are a bit of fun but before you make those, focus on making Premiere the most rock solid editing platform the world has ever seen. Please do this before everyone including myself, start to migrate to resolve. I really don't want to learn another editing package but I need stability in my life. I'm giving it another 12 months.
Idea No status
TOPICS
Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
33 Comments
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed! Things like auto framing are just gimmicky features. I just want a solid Premeire and give us features we actually want like improved Project Manager, ability to render and replace clips with effects and nested clips, ProRes RAW, seamless dynamic linking (at the moment it isn't seamless and after effects sequences go offline if you switch programs) etc etc

And make it stable and bug free

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also agree - QA process of Premiere releases appears to be becoming non existent and they rely on the user base to debug fundamental errors. Makes you wonder if the code is a Patch work quilt !!!.
Also agree - to stop releasing features that are not priority - Adobe are just releasing these to add to their Marketing glossy brochure. Forget those and focus on making an application work and stable please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to see Premiere Pro get scrapped. I would like to see them make one program that has Premiere, Audition, After Effects and Prelude all in one program. The could call it Adobe Cinema 1.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the code base for such a program encompassing all those funmctional blocks could be a bit difficult to manage. I think the focus on this post is trying to improve QA process on Premiere Pro releases - please.
With Premiere Pro it is ensuring the basic foundation is strong across a selection of MAC/PC Windows environments (wherever possible - not easy I accept that)
But I don't want my house painted a fancy colour if the foundations are going to crumble

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been suggested before, and they closed it. Clearly Adobe seems to not prioritize stability over new fancy features. They seem fixated on these new features while Premiere is a mess of bugs and instability. The IT department where I work has given up, they cannot figure out why Premiere crashes so often. They have changed computers, reinstalled Windows, tweaked system settings endlessly, and Premiere and After Effects just keep on crashing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm killing time waiting for a project to "load" - ie, mysteriously access my (very fast) drives and horde my (very fast) cpu for several minutes while locking me out of doing any actual work. I think I've got a few more minutes, so I'll chime in.

I've already started migrating work I would normally do in Premiere to Resolve. It's going ok but I'd rather Premiere just work. Every update I see a lot of bug fixes that I'm sure other people are happy about, but they never address these foundational usability and scalability issues. It's become a very painful platform to use professionally for large projects, and I'm sad about that. Sometimes I get mad, today I'm just sad.

So...Adobe, PRIORITIZE STABILITY. Yes, we know that's vague, but there are so many stability/performance problems it feels futile for us users to wack-a-mole each one here on uservoice. The wack-a-moling is kinda your job cause they're your stupid moles. It seems obvious to most of us that you have some systemic stability problems and that is what we are saying we're getting really tired of. There are basic problems that have been reported for years, and if anybody there was testing the software rigorously they'd have know about it. We throw good money at this every month and you have people you pay good money every month to test the software and make the software more stable. From the customers point of view something isn't adding up about that arrangement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andy Adkins says it well. PRIORITIZE STABILITY and everyone will spread the word. You'll have more subscribers than you know what to do with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AND STILL NOBODY CARES....
ADOBE! WAKE THE **** UP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here here Joel, spot on. It's beyond frustrating to have to step around these new "features" that pander to the influencer market over professional video editors. Aren't there enough gimmick video editing packages out there? Or is that where that big consumer dollar lies...

At the end of the day, if each release was an enhancement, not a terrifying 6 months of wait-and-see, then I could see the benefit of the perpetual licence. But right now, I'm wondering what my subscription pays for if only to live in a version a couple of years old to ensure stability...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In PP 14.x releases their introduced more bugs than ever i guess. Lots of new features i like to try but in the end i always fight against basic problems with features again and again. How do all those hollywood editors can work with this buggy software ? i wonder how their able to ship/get stuff done when constantly fighting with such bad quality. Do Adobe write unit tests so that their get evidence that things no break in large code bases ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I also add to this: Regularly respond to UserVoice posts on bugs.

More often than not, bugs are posted, and there is absolutely zero communication from Adobe. If we're lucky enough to have someone chime in, it's typically once with some non-committal response, and that's it. Gone for literally years.

Good support is ludicrously important, which makes it genuinely baffling as to how the Premiere Pro support can be this terrible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...there are some sensible comments in this thread Adobe Premiere Pro team - so if you have been doing some work behind the scenes to improve stability, then it would be worth your time outlining what improvements you are making to your customers.
This is after al, not a one way User Voice Forum is it ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I lead a team of 30 editors. The last few updates have our team looking into other post-production options. I've been a big fan of Premiere since CS1.5, but the recent bugs are bringing team productivity to a halt. Importing H264 only works about half of the time now, rendering timeline previews is completely broken, keyframes are glitchy, and 4K editing is still not up to par to other programs on the same workstation. Would like to stay with Adobe, but stability is quickly becoming a major concern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha you guys must be new. They don't care how stable it is, only how many new suckers they can attract. This has been the case since they went monthly subscription, and it won't change now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe how terribly buggy and prone to crashing Premiere 2020 has been, and even worse is Adobe's non-response. I imagine that between Resolve and FCP X, they must be bleeding customers due to how buggy Premiere has become.

Too bad they don't just focus on reliability, and create a beta pipeline for those who want to try their gimmicky new features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why has this Forum become a one way street! How many votes and messages do you need Adobe before you will listen to your loyal supporters and respond.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andy 1968 - I agree that a single unified program would be much better. I suggested this directly to an Adobe product manager that visited my station and they said that they felt that is not what the users want so they will continue with the products they have now. Really frustrating response, and one that makes me think they are not really connected to the user base at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is always an interesting thread. Note, they're supposed to stop adding new things ... except, of course, for the new things the next responder wants added.

Stability at this time is an enormous problem for quite a range of apps. I work for/with/teach pro colorists, mostly based in Resolve with a few in Baselight. Resolve has (sadly to me) tried to emulate Premiere Pro in so many ways ... and seems to be managing it quite well.

As they have tried to make that one app for all workflows on all hardware with all media, the Adobe dream, well ... gee, stability issues across the user base have gone up. There's even similar threads and comments like this one on the BM forums.

Baselight is incredibly stable, but then ... it's OLD SCHOOL. You spend between $15,000 and $20,000 to buy a computer from them, that only, ever! ... has the programs they install on it. Nothing else on the machine. Then you pay for an annual license, something around $1500 or so. But you do get an awesome and absolutely stable app running for you on that machine.

As to Barry's last comment... that he'd made a suggestion to an Adobe dev, who'd replied they didn't think that would be appreciated across the user base. Barry finds that implies they don't actually understand their user base.

I think it might be the other way around ... and why would I think that? Over a decade of going to NAB, spending the week talking with other video post types. Several MAX events, again spending the time with video post people. Throw in some SMPTE events. And working as an author for pro colorists and being among all those discussions year after year.

Two things have always struck me as incredibly fascinating. The first is that everyone in this business does about everything differently from everyone else. Truly.

The second is that so many users are so "siloed" in their work patterns, that their knowledge of whichever app they use in general is actually, often far less than "comprehensive". I've had so many people say "You still can't do X!"

Which actually may have changed a couple versions ago ... but ... they never checked because they always sit down, start cranking ... and never, ever poke the box to see what's new. Or "waste time" reading up on things.

They work hard, they're incredibly fast at what they do. They get the job done, But have perhaps less knowledge outside their silo than they realize.

know my silo. To me, it ain't all that big. Pretty small actually. But when I get talking with others, I often have the fun of explaining that there's a way to do the same thing now that is simpler and at least as effective as how they've been working. That intrigues me, as typically, I would see that editor/post-person as vastly more experienced and capable as me.

But our siloes are different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

R Neil Haugen

I see your point about siloed work flows. And, yes there are so many new features and changes that I cannot keep up. Often my workload keeps that from happening…

But my opinion on Adobe being disconnected from their user base is how I and the people I work with at my station all feel. When Adobe visited the station the managers and devs had questions about how we were using Premiere and After Effects, which does show they have an interest in us. But they didn’t seem to understand how we were using the programs. Specific comments like why would you do things that way were the questions that left us perplexed and wondering if they used the programs they create. It was 5+ years ago so I don’t recall specifics anymore, sorry. But this interaction left all of wondering if they really understand what it is we do with the programs they create.

And when I call out Premiere’s stability that’s due to the way Premiere seems to just stutter or even stop working at times. Playing the timeline and the audio disappears or the play head just stops on its own. Renders that fail to include recent changes. Video playback that stops in the program monitor while audio and the playhead continues. Weird rendering issues like massive color shifts or video or audio dropouts. A video clip that refuses to go where you are trying to put it, and I don’t mean the snapping function, but a total refusal to be placed at the start of the sequence happens somewhat regularly. Forget using Dynamic Linking, a great idea that just causes more problems than it solves. All but 1 editor at my station simply refuses to use it anymore. Not to mention the crashing. There have been some releases that caused daily or more frequent crashing. I loved it when a few months ago closed captions were burned in on every export no matter what format or that a sequence even had captions in the first place. A week after that problem disappeared it started exporting no captions on videos at all. Finally my settings that are supposed to saved to the cloud have not been for years no matter how many times I try syncing. The local IT at my station ran out of ideas.

To me these kinds of issues are basic functionality related issues that just do not seem to get fixed. Premiere causes me to curse or restart my computer as I work than more than any other program I use. Some days are much worse than others. And I have been using it since the 5.0 release a long time ago in a land far, far away. The honest reason I still use it is that corporate IT won’t let us change. Plus that we have so much history with projects and ties to After Effects and other of their apps it may not make sense to change anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 29, 2024 Mar 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great comments.

I've been through both in-person "study sessions" at NAB, and online ones where their research types were working to get input. Fascinating experiences.

At NAB, a guy from an LA network graphics crew and I spent an hour with a researcher literally in a white lab coat, with a big table covered with notes moved into cascading order of usefulness/relevance, she was constantly shifting things from our comments.

And was rathe surprised at some of our replies to her questions, as the answers clearly weren't anything she had expected.

I've had online things where they were testing UI design ... "If you saw this tool displayed this way, what would you expect it to do?" ... and sometimes, the best answer was simply why on earth would you have that to begin with? Leading to discussions with the moderator and demonstrator clearly taking down totally fascinating notes.

Really? They didn't know that already?

So yea, I totally get the wonder at times about some of their staffer's knowledge of what your office does.

Video post is such an amazing thing. No two people do hardly anything alike. Which always intrigues me.

And some of the many staffers I've met are ... well ... not as impressive as I might hope for.

But the vast majority have actually been hardworking people, who love doing video production and post as a main pastime ... even all the engineers clearly work on their own video projects.

And they do care, even when they and I disagree totally and completely on something. That has also been clear.

Our frames of reference though can be dramatically different. That I do keep in mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still wonder what it requires to get Premiere Pro product management to get the message drilled into their heads that gradually they are killing the application.

Ignoring issues that are 'core' to real time app usage eg: sticky timeline, lost rendered files, program crashes are fundamental.

There in no excuse for letting stuff like this slip through the net and releasing to the market.

It's like building a house on sand.

There would appear to be obvious weaknesses in how software development is being carried out and management processes not enforcing  strict QA control.

The evidence is clear from users within this Forum, 

It was my understanding any 'bug' reported in the Forum should be seen by Premiere Product team - this has taken the place of the old 'User Voice' platform - correct ??

No excuses for claiming it is a User to User forum only if it is posted as a 'bug' using the correct Tab.

If there is another mechanism to post a bug report for Product engineering attention please let us know .

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to remind you ... they have millions of daily users.

There could be a thousand with a certain issue, and yet that would still get only a tiny subset of the user base.

Having been one of the ones with a nasty bug and/or performance issue, been there done that. Yup, I know the frustration.

But I can also separate my issues from the total base.

PLEASE ... everyone report troubles here! Search the Bugs section of this forum, AND the Ideas section, add to and upvote.

And at the same time understand that this is used across an incredibly wide array of hardware, software interactions, media, plug-in and effects use, and end use of the final images.

Some users will unfortunately have troubles and we all need the feedback to the devs.

And jeep earlier versions loaded at all times. As a practical matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Leproducer,

Thanks for the feature request. You mentioned stability as your key request here. Stability means "crashing" to the product team. Right now, crash rates are at an all-time low. Are you crashing? If so, let us know. We can recommend some troubleshooting steps. I recommend updating to the current version to experience these low crash rates.

Because of that, I'm unsure if the developers can lower the crash rate much more. hence, your request for better overall stability might not be fulfilled. Sorry about that.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @JonesVid, @Barry-KOMOTV@S3 Media 1@R Neil Haugen,

The OP requested better stability in this year-old feature request. Stability (stability = crashing in the NLE software dev world) should no longer be an issue. Are you having stability (crashing) problems? If so, please let the community know so we can help you troubleshoot. Crash rates are at an all-time low compared to past builds.

Getting an unresponsive UI or a spinning beachball is called a "hang." It is also a stability issue but is not a "crash." These are usually conditional or project-centric issues. You can make a bug report for any specific hangs you might experience. Providing a sample process or spin dump (and then attaching that to the bug report) can help developers troubleshoot that unexpected condition.

Other comments in this thread are unrelated to better stability. If you want to make a specific feature request, please use the following format: How do I write a feature request?

There are a lot of rants in this thread, and some will be deleted. Keep discussion on topic: in this case, stability. Please also abide by Adobe Community Guidelines. 

Sorry for the frustration expressed in this thread.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate