• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How about focusing on making this the most rock solid editing platform

Participant ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stop finding new gimmicks that hardly anyone uses, yes they are a bit of fun but before you make those, focus on making Premiere the most rock solid editing platform the world has ever seen. Please do this before everyone including myself, start to migrate to resolve. I really don't want to learn another editing package but I need stability in my life. I'm giving it another 12 months.
Idea No status
TOPICS
Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
33 Comments
Enthusiast ,
Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

reading through the 'Ranting' on this thread (as the response describes) is due to several topics.

So maybe it is true that the thread is becoming slightly mixed and confused, however there are some key messages and content in here.

1. Lack of response from Adobe when a 'bug is posted'. Even bug posts with very comprehensive content and ways to replicate the bug are ignored.

2. Adobe's continual fixation of new features at the expense of fixing core functionality.

In my own case I have been trying in vain to get some response / engagement regarding loss of  video previews and non use of valid previews on final video export.

Threads here

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/bug-use-previews-doesn-t-use-previews/idc-p/1452081...

This is maybe seen as a selfish view as I am only 'ranting' about issues that affect me. Functionality that used to work several versions back but now do not work. The problems are easily replicated and have been documented within this Forum

So there is no excuse for ignoring these problems if they have been posted in good faith via the correct bug report procedures.

Even yourself Kevin have confirmed these problems and raised an internal bug report.

So far no response from Engineering.

I hope you and your Adobe colleagues can view this response as a constructive example of why several people have waded in on the original thread regarding Stability.

To avoid long and mixed threads like this I suggest Adobe jump in early to engage and suggest practical next steps to capture necessary debug data for a correctly reported 'Bug' .

If insufficient information exists then define what extra is required.

If this can't be done, then there needs to be a re-think on the procedures Adobe operate/define to help resolve user bugs.

This will reduce the level of 'Ranting' on the Forum and negate the need to for users to be so frustrated with the software they subscribe to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also disagree that the thread is entirely about "stability". The OP is complaining that there are too many gimicky trick features added in new Premiere releases these days and not enough that add useful tools to an already established workflow. Making Premiere crash less or have fewer bugs is part of that yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But one person's "gimmick" is another's major need.

Do you find text based editing a gimmick?

The new color management options?

Because those have all been huge for me ... and several other things. Though I know that everyone's mileage always varies ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 03, 2024 Apr 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually yes I do find those gimicky. I use Resolve for my color work, and I use my brain for editing. That doesn't mean I think it shouldn't exist or that noone should use it, but I do think it should be less of a priority. I also get that I am already a customer and have been for a long time, so my opinion isn't worth as much as a potential new customer. I get all of it. But I don't have to like it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our work is likely different. Much of mine involves 'talking head' editing ... and of course, the repeated segments where you have to go through and cull to the best bits, cut them out, put them together.

I HATE sitting there and listening through an hour of material to find the ten minutes I'll use. TBE is so much a lift to my soul ... I simply transcribe, print it out, select the 'good' bits from reading the printout, go diretly to them to make sure they work, then ... cut.

It's both cut the time in more than half and made it far less onerous.

But if you love to sit there for a couple hours going over interviews/talking head, be my guest!

My stuff ain't for broadcast, but most of it will be watched by pro colorists. So it needs to be pretty close to b-cast standards. The color management stuff has made Premiere quite capable of the color corrections I need. Quickly and reliably.

Yes, I'm also working in Resolve, but why take the time to port a sequence out to Resolve when I'm done in a matter of a couple minutes in Premiere? I'm not so stupid as to do all the work on the sequence ... presets per camera applied in the bin to groups, and a few seconds to do final matching.

Going to Resolve, when I didn't start in Resolve, would just be a waste of time.

As I have said before though, everyone's mileage always varies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kevin-Monahan

Something worth noting here is that the Crash Reporting tool does not always pop up after a crash. I assume you have no way to knowing there was a crash if it is not reported with that tool. Just guessing here, I would say it only pops up 20% of the time.

Last year we went through weeks of issues that ranged from a Sony plug-in causing crashes to Premiere running the memory usage so high the entire Mac froze. Very few of those issues ever got reported as there was no crash reporting tool appearing. It took us weeks to figure things out. And that was after trying to find help from Adobe, but your site sent just referred me back to my company’s corporate IT who had even less of an idea what was happening than we did locally. A partial solution was to rebuild the entire computer. And even then there were some issues that remained. I finally found a phone number to call Adobe directly, but even that took 2 days over several calls and multiple transfers that disconnected me sometimes because we since we are a corporate client we require a different phone number to call. Thankfully we now have that number.

In the end some issues persisted and the Adobe tech support said the next step was to reinstall everything on the computer, which was just done 2 or so weeks before that call. So I just dealt with things until the most recent update which seems to have settled things down. But please note that Premiere is the number one cause of computer issues for us in my department. This is what I believe people are wanting from Adobe is to get Premiere to the point that we can just edit without Premiere getting in the way of us doing our work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @JonesVid,

Sorry for the frustration. Bugs are individual issues that the team can address and work on. While I don't disagree with some of the sentiment here, a set of individual bugs might be better. I hope I can help you.

You wrote about a lack of response from Adobe when a 'bug is posted'. Even bug posts with very comprehensive content and ways to replicate the bug are ignored.

The team does not respond to every post but reads and tabulates them. I do agree with the sentiment that devs could be more interactive with the community. I'll let them know.

Adobe's continual fixation on new features at the expense of fixing core functionality.

The product managers would be the ones that might respond better to that question. Sorry about that.

I'm doing my best to advocate for your issues internally. I am tracking a bug internally. Sorry for the hold-up. It's affecting my work too. We've PM'd each other on this, so let's keep talking. I'll keep you informed when the team makes more progress.

I hope you and your Adobe colleagues can view this response as a constructive example of why several people have waded in on the original thread regarding Stability.

I'm sure it has been read and noted since it does have upvotes.

I suggest Adobe jump in early to engage and suggest practical next steps to capture necessary debug data for a correctly reported 'Bug' .

Well said. Thanks, I agree and will pass this sentiment along.

If insufficient information exists then define what extra is required. If this can't be done, then there needs to be a re-think on the procedures Adobe operate/define to help resolve user bugs.

I agree that Adobe could do better with this Bugs forum. I hope I can help turn some of these issues here into addressable bugs. Sorry for the frustation on all this.

Thanks for your notes.

Cheers,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Apr 04, 2024 Apr 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Kevin-Monahan 

Many thanks for coming back on this - I think your responses will be very useful to many users who have posted here.

Its clear a lot of users try to maintain a constructive input on the Premiere Pro Community Forum but the radio silence on problem issues relating to new releases that also break existing core functionality is very frustrating.

Having been in a development environment myself (quite a few years back) I totally get that 'handling bugs' is a challenge and it can get out of hand as it is impossible to address everything, but I really do believe the Product Team need to review how this is being handled in terms of effective interaction with users.

- EG :

Qualifying Bugs (reproducing, documenting), Full System Platform details, Prioritisation of how they might impact existing workflows, Status feedback from dev team etc.

Introduction of new features is generally a good thing to see as it is reassuring to see the product has a living Road Map - BUT - one has to question how effective the 'Regression Testing' is on new releases which allows fairly fundamental problems through the net .... messing up existing features that worked fine in a previous release.

The Beta programme is also a good thing, but we are not seeing incremental fixes within a mainstream release for reproduceable problems that have been reported well over a year before. (I'm thinking of the examples around bugs using Video Previews I gave in my previous post) which are also causing you pain with your work.

To conclude, thanks again for your continued interaction on the Premiere Pro Forum and I think we all appreciate your efforts in pushing things for us internally for improvements where possible.

Its clear the user base for Premiere is huge and people use it in many ways on differing platforms with so many permutations for problems to emerge.However, in terms of end user satisfaction on software quality (particularly following new releases) I believe many users would agree there is a definite need for improvement.

Remember, we all initially chose Premiere Pro to create, not frustrate.

Votes

Translate

Translate