• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple caption tracks visible for accessibility

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the previous version of Premiere Pro, I was able to add multiple captions and make them visible in order to have English/Spanish on screen. But in the latest version (Version 15.0.0) only one track of captioning is available.

This makes it hard for those of us who are working on making our videos accessible to multiple audiences. Please bring back the ability to have multiple tracks of captioning visible at the same time.
Idea Under review
TOPICS
Graphics

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023
This is not a bug, it's as designed. We specifically limit the visibility to one track at a time to avoid accidentally burning in multiple tracks. Also, when exporting to a format that only supports one captions stream like SRT or STL, we need to know which is the active track in order to export the correct track.

But I understand why you might need two tracks visible at the same time.

Multiple speakers:
If we could automatically identify speakers and designate a style associated with them, wo...

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 169 Replies 169
169 Comments
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please for the love of God, change it back, we aren't babies who need step by step guidance on how to do things

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been 8 months and 26 days since "we really are listening :)", with no reply since then!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Multiple speakers:
If we could automatically identify speakers and designate a style associated with them, would that help? For example speaker 1 is blue and on the left, speaker 2 is yellow and on the right?"

Honestly, it would help a ton if you were able to just add speaker labels to the subtitles to identify speakers. You have that in the transcript, why isn't it an option for the subtitles as well?

The reason I found this thread is because, since adding speaker names isn't a thing in the captions, I was trying to format speaker #1's captions to be on the left and speaker #2's on the right, since that's where they are on the screen. But a whole lot of issues would be solved by giving us the option of letting the speaker names come over with the conversion from transcript to captions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I REALLY need this feature back for my documentary film work, please. I couldn't believe it when I found out I can't have multiple captions at once on different time schedules. If apps like TikTok can, how come not Adobe?
Please resolve. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new system for subbing is 1,000% better than previously but I really need to be able to add a second independent track. For example, when people are talking and there is a sign or a store name in the frame that must be independent of the dialogue. At the moment I'm forced to do this "second track" as a graphic but it's just a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there any update on this? Or workaround? I need to create training material with several different languages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need this feature to designate two different speakers going back and forth, each with their own subtitle style.

For anyone desperate--the janky workaround I've come up with is exporting a ProRes 4444 with alpha for the subtitle track and then laying it in the video for the extra tracks that Adobe won't let me export. Not convenient because any change to timing messes up the whole thing.

Adobe please... why give us the ability to create different styles of subtitles, lay in multiple tracks of subtitles in our timelines and then NOT allow us to export multiple of them at the same time. If it really is a "design" feature to prevent incorrectly burned subtitles, can't we just have a warning message during export or an advanced setting that allows multiple burn-ins?! Please... please... this is a standard expectation on a lot of Social content for Instagram and Tik Tok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gonna echo this... Like Bryan said, why not just make a warning when exporting? There are tons of use-case scenarios where having multiple subtitle tracks visible at the same time is needed... honestly, kind of dumb to remove the option, why not just make it an extra click or two or an "opt-in" so users understand that 2+ tracks are now visible at the same time.

Gonna have to maybe do Bryan's workaround to get this current video done...

Also, this was originally brought up in March '21 and has 107 comments at the time of my comment, has any action been taken? Is this low-priority? The feature was already there previously, is it hard to roll it back? The more flexible the program is, there better experience for everyone using it.

I appreciate how much captions have improved, so major kudos to that, but please bring back more than one visible subtitle track, or allow for burn-in text tracks specifically for situations like these

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feature is important in multi-lingual countries like South Africa where people use multiple languages and one speaker might switch between languages. Having more than one caption track on at the same time allows multiple languages to have the same status on a tv programme broadcast on a national channel, so it is political, and particularly resists the dominance of only having colonial languages in subtitles. Instead it celebrates the ideal of equal status of languages, while also allowing editors to style different language subtitles differently, so that people would find reading the relevant language subtitles easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good evening Francis,

could we be sure that you have seen and read all the additional information and requests, or even proposals below... (the answer to the initial post having not changed since April 16, 2021)?

Unless you expect something else from all of us of course...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently had a major project with bi-lingual subtitles : showing two languages simultaneously, one English and one in a non-Roman script. It was very difficult exercise to enter two languages and two script types as subtitles and manage consistency. Further If I want to show just one language I have to create new subtitles : very frustrating and time consuming. Please provide a solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see lot of updates on automatic caption system but I don't see single comments about fixing problems of caption system itself... I really want to use your latest, cutting-edge technology but the fundamental system itself has a flaw so I'm just waiting for this basic update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really need dual subtitles, please don't decide for yourself, just choose one

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same problem. I am putting in both captions and subtitles for Deaf and Hard of Hearing. I need to do these separately and then combine in one subtitle track. For example, i sometimes need to have subtitles below and sound description above. So i need to work with both tracks at once. I also live in a bilingual city and may eventually need to have two cc/subtitle tracks at once. Please provide solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALMOST A YEAR NOW AND APPARENTLY ADOBE DOES NOT GIVE A F TO ITS USERS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please update! Dual language captions are needed to be burned in video and Caption tool doesn't allow it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have a temporary solution to resolve this issue.

Convert your SRT subtile files to Premiere pro XML by using online tool: https://srt2prxml.chdo.xyz

Then you can insert your multiple XML subtitle into your track.

If you want to have some change on the font size or color, you can use preset the font at SRT first, and then implement it into your XML subtitle in track. Hope this will help your all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't you just create 2 sequences with only subtitles in it and place them both in your sequence with the video footage or am I missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As several people have mentioned before on this and another related thread, the existing captions facilities on the latest versions of Premiere CAN be used to add multiple caption tracks, despite the fact that Adobe stubbornly refuses to enable the obvious solution of simply allowing multiple caption tracks to be burned simultaneously, by using the "nesting" technique. You'll have to experiment to get a feel for how it works--you need to set up your video with one caption track, nest the two together, and then add another track to the nested file, and so on with any further subtitle tracks, and ultimately burn the whole thing in a single go. It's admittedly clumsy, but since Adobe seems to have no intention of honoring our now many many requests to make the process straightforward, I suggest it as the solution most flexible and likely to last, given the current---to me quite silly--limitation. It works as it's supposed to and takes advantage of all the continuing modifications to the caption flow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely need to be able to change the style of the caption (colors) based on speaker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is ideal to have a color difference for different speakers and two tracks with subtitles to distinguish them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to be able to utilize different formatting preferences for different captions within one video. some of the captions in one graphic style, some in another. the fact that it's so difficult to do this is super frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please enable multiple caption tracks. I need different styles for each track.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi this is SUPER problematic for me too - simultaneous translation is hella important and now my documentary can't be edit and it will be inaccessible to my audience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh it would be so great to change at least subtitles to text layer that we can burn than in at that point where we need it. Have of lot of multilangual projects in which for showings different subtitles at the same time are needed. At least it would be a great option to allow more subtitles at the same time AND/OR make it possible to just move the subtitles from the subtitle track to normal text and let us do the rest.

Votes

Translate

Translate