• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple caption tracks visible for accessibility

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the previous version of Premiere Pro, I was able to add multiple captions and make them visible in order to have English/Spanish on screen. But in the latest version (Version 15.0.0) only one track of captioning is available.

This makes it hard for those of us who are working on making our videos accessible to multiple audiences. Please bring back the ability to have multiple tracks of captioning visible at the same time.
Idea Under review
TOPICS
Graphics

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023
This is not a bug, it's as designed. We specifically limit the visibility to one track at a time to avoid accidentally burning in multiple tracks. Also, when exporting to a format that only supports one captions stream like SRT or STL, we need to know which is the active track in order to export the correct track.

But I understand why you might need two tracks visible at the same time.

Multiple speakers:
If we could automatically identify speakers and designate a style associated with them, wo...

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 169 Replies 169
169 Comments
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but it's a bug, just like an 'own goal' is a bug, not a feature. How the decision was made to remove this longtime capability raises a lot of questions. Equally, the fact that a year later it persists. As for our workflow, it has basically stopped us in our tracks for numerous projects.
Speechless in Europe

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

come on man
fix it please
every one need multi caption track
we need that two languages for different style
you know this world not only using English right ?
that's why we need to choose different font and size man
plssssssssssssssssssss

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Francis, we need this option immediately. This is really frustrating for videos with someone who switches two languages. Especially for us, the Japanese caption is vertical then English is horizontal obviously and the only one style can be used per caption track is quite maddening!!! WE WANT TO BURN MULTIPLE LANGUAGES simultaneously!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Multiple speaker functionality would really help

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two visible tracks would be best - We are responsible if we make the accident of burning both or not (as every decision in the program is our responsibility) but having the option of having both and choosing for one is better than removing the option altogether.
I would really love this feature!
C

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Francis Crossman Any news about this issue ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unf****believable!!! More than a year!!! Still I need to find a walkaround to burn dual language subtitles in the video...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi running into this today. I'm working on a interviews in both english and arabic. Our team speak different languages.

For collaboration and cut decision making I want to be able to burn in both english and arabic captions on the screen at the same time so that our team who speak different languages can work on this together. Hugely frustrating that I need to round trip this twice to do it.

Just let me have multiple caption tracks tracks turned on please. If someone by accident burns in multiple tracks they will notice and fix it. Or maybe even give a warning on export. idk

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the exact same issue as others, with English and Arabic. I had to encode both scripts manually into the captions and try to manage sentences manually, with no way then to manage languages separately. See my screenshots. Painful, very manual and error prone, and I can't then easily turn on or off one language or another.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's more less the one reason I still have my AVID subscription because I often do productions with up to 10 different languages and I have to be able to manage them when it comes to subtitles.
Adobe please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love the ability to have multiple caption tracks active at the same time to easily add different styles/colors for different speakers. As it is now, I have to go in and manually change each different speaker even tho the quick and simple solution is right there, but I can't have multiple caption tracks active at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Multiple speakers option as suggested above could be interesting so long as it isn't limited to one side (ie. standard flexibility is available to position the text wherever we want) but this would be a nice feature and not as important as Multiple Languages.

Multiple Languages is very important and helpful. Being able to see both at the same time while editing them (for alignment but especially translation as we are not translating word for word all the time, it is also translating the culture or expressions and their text amount does not always line up 1:1. Additionally, just the ease of being able to see the previous text to translate rather than having to continually replay and transcribe) as well as being able to burn in multiple languages. Especially for a YouTube video, being able to burn in multiple languages broadens viewership and is becoming more common - and requested - for language study purposes. Not everyone knows about the apps they have to download to view two at the same time.

And of course we are requesting this because the subtitle function in Premiere is significantly more user friendly than having to create text boxes each time. Thanks a million Adobe Team! You're awesome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Da Vinci Resolve has enabled Subtitle Regions. Up to 4 Regions per track.

if I'm transcribing in the Adobe Suite and exporting SRTs to migrate to Resolve and edit my project in their competition's NLE for ONLY THIS REASON then I think this is an easy solve and should be TOP PRIORITY if they want to keep users in their ecosystem of programs.

I would add that being able to copy and paste each speaker/region's clip attributes to and from other captions, just like a standard clip, would be a must.

C'mon Adobe Team, us multi-speaker content editors believe in you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would be nice to see both for reference and alignment, but in the case of a video where you need to reach people from two languages at once, you may want to have both languages show at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to add song lyrics as subtitles in at least 2 languages, and I want them to have different styles. (For example, the original language has bigger text, while the English translation is smaller and italicized.) I need an easy way to have two subtitle tracks with unique styles, and burn BOTH of them to the video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Sir,
Have you ever confronted the situtation while using multi caption tracks for the lyrics of a choir with SATB voices. That means each voice uses indenpendent track, and some times eatch voice has its on timing to show up. That definitely can't use only one caption track to do it. Please refer the video link and surf around 3:00 you will kown what I mean.
https://youtu.be/pjqd3ZjnYJ4

Right now I can use only Premiere V14.9 to deal the multi caption tracks. It is too pity that the latest version eliminates this function.

Would you PLEASE to resume the function of multi captoin tracks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a situation where the style of the caption needs to change part way through a video. Since styles are applied to the entire caption track, the easiest way to do this seemed to be to create a new caption track with the alternative style on it, but the auto-disable is really messing it up for me. I'm not having to burn the first captions into the video, re-import into the project, and then add the second style of captions. Seems like a very long workaround, and an absolute nightmare for making changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to do projects for several different clients with two different tracks of subtitles on at the same time for different languages. I understand how to do a work-around of burning them in the re-exporting but ughhh...this is such a waste of time. Are there plans to give us control of this feature soon? Most people using Premiere are professional editors and can handle avoiding burning multiple tracks. What we need is control over the program. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm here in august 2022 because I had the same thing. Part of the video needs one style and the other part needs another. I transcribed to a new layer and changed style and was done in a couple of minutes. Then I could only pick and choose which part to show. After reading through I see that I'm not dumb, just that this isn't available to do? So I spent the next 15 minutes clicking through and changing the style for part #2 one click at a time... This is the dumbest thing. Imagine this " oh in the next update we remove the ability to mute a track because we don't want someone to accidentally forget to unmute it before exporting. Oh, we got rid of the ability to color grade because we didn't want someone to accidentally export with bad exposure.

We are professionals, not children. Stuff gets messed up and it's on the editor. Leave this kind of stuff to windows movie maker, we pay a lot of money to have professional tools and flexibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The saddest thing of all is that users have been wanting this feature for more than a year. What does it mean? And there are a ton of such topics to take into account on this site. Make a **** product in demand for professionals.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I also need to put two lines of subtitles in two languages ​​and it is not possible, could you solve this issue in new updates?

best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Multiple speakers: identifying speakers should be possible in every language. If it's not, manual possibility to assign different speakers to different tracks and styles would be far better and make the caption tool more versatile.

Multiple languages: I live in a country where we have two official languages and it's in the law that both language speakers should be serviced equally. There are multiple reasons I would need to burn more than one track of captions at the same time. Editors do far more complicated stuff than export video with burned in captions and Adobe isn't worrying about possible accidents in export. I guess a more functional solution would be enabling every track of burned captions with a check-box when necessary.

Also: Lots of video is created to different social media platforms and especially there would be very important to have a captioning tool that is most versatile not most idiot-proof.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not seem like good design at all. Watch the movie Everything Everywhere all at once on Prime, By default there are english captions translated from the spoken mandarin and cantonese in yellow, then switch on subtitles, the parts spoken in chinese are still in yellow, but they are given the indicators for which language is spoken. Other captions are added in white, within the same track. It is just not that easy to achieve something like this. Currently it's possible to change an individual clips coloring or font style, but if you try to save that style apply it to a single clip suddenly that style gets applied to the entire track, overwriting any individual coloring given. If you try to copy and paste the caption clips their individual colors do not get copy and pasted

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is absurd. Adobe fix this please. Would be so simple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As one of the original posters on this thread I am beyond disappointed that Adobe has not yet addressed this.

If anyone is looking for a work around you might try this very direct and efficient video explanation of creating a nested sequence for the second (and I believe third) caption decks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmzgcgN6GSk

Please get a grip Adobe

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate