• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Scrolling / panning in the Program Monitor

Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2024 May 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Moderator: This thread was originally titled "Premiere Pro 24.4 Program Monitor Scrolls". It's been updated to make this thread easier to find. We appreciate - and are listening to! - your feedback on scrolling / panning in the Program Monitor]

I just noted after the 24.4 update, My source & Program monitor up & down rollers/scrolls on the sides just vanished or missing. Not sure if this still part of the zoom in, zoom out or use of hand tool new updates which has cause this to be removed or a bug - but, kindly let me know if anyone has experienced this issue. The screengrab below.

Idea No status
TOPICS
User experience or interface

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 170 Replies 170
170 Comments
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2024 Aug 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a solution buried in these 150 replies? I also am very frustrated with this problem and need a solution ASAP. Hand tool does not work in Premiere, only AE. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 25, 2024 Aug 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the description. How do I get the image back to center? The hand tool does not work. It would be cool if the hand tool could work the way it does in AE and photoshop, but that is not happening for me. Is there something I need to set up? At the moment this is seriously slowing down my work flow as I cannot get the image re-centered after zooming in. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 27, 2024 Aug 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Fit to re-set the image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 28, 2024 Aug 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, but that is in no way a convenient or time efficient way to move from one region to another so it's not a solution, just one of the many steps to do tasks that used to be very quick.

As per the hand tool, I finally got it to work once. Once.

Absolute shambles from Adobe on that one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2024 Aug 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a weird behavior with trying to access the Hand Tool due to my custom keyboard settings. This might help a few others.

I have "H" mapped as a shortcut for "add edit" on my custom keyboard layout. Whenever I was zoomed-in on the Program Monitor, I couldn't keyboard stroke over to the Hand Tool easily. I even tried re-mapping the "H" key back to Hand Tool, but that strangely didn't work and stayed on the 'arrow' tool.

I had to add a modifier to this shortcut as "SHIFT + H" for Hand Tool to be able to quickly keystroke over to it. Now, I can mouse scroll zoom in when trying to fine tune something and hit my keyboard shortcut for Hand Tool to move the frame around. I wonder if others who are using custom keyboard layouts are running into issues with trying to switch over to hand tool using the keyboard. It was a convoluted process to having to mouse click the hand tool up until this solve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac or PC Collin?

I'm on a PC and didn't have a problem with it, but I've been thinking to switch the hand tood next to "V" (c) so it would be easy to switch back. I did finally make the change and it works well. Only thing is, if you have the hand tool selected, then the middle-mouse down doesn't work? But it's still available from V / selection tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@MyerPj I'm on a MacBook Pro M2 Max using the latest 24.6.1 version.

Because I work primarily off a laptop, I have to "~ full screen" into the Program Monitor to view the details clearly. Before today, I also couldn't figure out why the Hand Tool wasn't switching with the keyboard. I had to always undo full screen and mouse click the Hand Tool, so I unfairly hated the new behavior of the Program Monitor/Source Monitor zoom in with mouse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 04, 2024 Sep 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm back to just bump this thread up. I really hope we get a fix because this program zoom behavior is incredibly inconvenient. I'm able to navigate the way I think adobe wants me to (zoom out, position mouse, zoom in) but it's really not an efficient way to implement this type of behavior. 

Again, I'd love to not be on here trying to get features that are forced on the user to be reverted/fixed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2024 Sep 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not zoom out, find the spot, zoom in.

You can use the Hand tool, "H" by default, to move the screen around, say when it is already zoomed in. If you have one, you can also use the middle mouse button to click and drag and move the screen around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2024 Sep 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So in short, the program window scroll bar that used to appear on the edges of the frame have been replaced by using the HAND TOOL anytime you are zoomed in. The shortcut key to the hand tool is simply "H" and or on my two button mouse I can push and holding the left button and it turns into the hand and I can move it around (I am on the MAC OS platform). Very cool, more efficient. Too bad it took me three months to figure that out... lol. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2024 Sep 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, I wanted to make a video and show how I've been tolerating this annoying behavior of the scroll zoom. It's been said before in the thread, you can use the "h" key to bring up the hand tool and move around while zoomed in, but I've found this to be less time consuming. Hopefully it helps someone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This "guided zoom in/out" shown by @Emerrow  is what I've been using to get around it. And it's workable. Certainly better than the swtich to the hand and back.

I think the lesson for Adobe here is that removing things is hard. Changing UI without a lot of warning, and even instruction on how to get around it, is gonna get blow back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Emerrow 

I really don't understand why you are struggling with this. Your 'work around' is ....., why does not the hand work for you?

Also, your video implies it's some new way of zooming where the mouse pointer is where it zooms into. They all work that way.

Only thing is, space held down is currently not an option, so you either use the middle mouse if you have one, or the hand. Create a shortcut for it. I put mine on "C" for now, so it's right next to "V" to go back to. No zooming in and out and in and out, and suggesting that is how Adobe meant us to do it, that is just, uh,  er....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@MyerPj I don't have a middle mouse button (or any mouse -- trackpad).

Switching tools is a pain in the butt. If my right hand is on the trackpad, then I have to cross all the way across the keyboard with my left hand to hit H. Doesn't make sense to remap C which is already the cut tool. As you note the spacebar thing (that works in every other Adobe app) doesn't work in PP. And to top it all off, if my focus is on the wrong window, the H doesn't work.

Even then, I get the hand tool, move the window, then I have to click back to the V tool to do what I scrolled for in the first place, get back to the hand tool, move the window, the click V back to do what I went for, etc.

But with the workaround suggested, it's all right hand mouse/trackpad movements. No tool changes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My struggle is that I don't want the program monitor to move when I'm keyframing or scrubbing the timeline. I am perfectly able to select the hand tool with "h" then move the frame, then hit "v" for the select tool again - but that just added 3 clicks to my workflow. I'm not saying that its a wrong way to work at all. What I'm hoping to convey to adobe is that this isn't the way I want to work and I would much rather have the option of working this new way instead of it being forced onto me. 

I enjoy the way after effects utilizes the hand tool in that when you press and hold the space bar, the hand tool is momentarily selected, and when you release the tool reverts to the selection tool. Again, unfortunately adobe did not give us that option of behavior. That's all I'm trying to convey. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've suggested a toggle hand tool shortcut that gives the hand tool when held down and returns to the previous tool when released. I think it's possible Adobe can add it to the space bar, one thing is Play from the spacebar happens on key down, and they'd need to change that to on key up. That's shouldn't be a problem for most users, but somebody out there will find a problem with it.

Under the principal if you haven't something nice to say... that is why I didn't describe your work around in the previous post. That, is just, let's just say, not happening. Perhaps you used that, 'I think this is how adobe wan't us to use this'... was just to bait them. The zoom in and out over and over is... OK, I get to that same point again, and I don't want to use a descriptive word.

Adobe wants us to use the Hand tool or middle mouse button. If you don't have that middle button, maybe complain to your hardware maker for being so insolent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW @Emerrow , Your " but that just added 3 clicks to my workflow", I think it's just one? Normally you would zoom in, then press Space to move around =1, now you zoom in, press "H" = 1 to move around, then "V" = 2. 

So, you've just added one to your workflow. (was used as bait again) 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 09, 2024 Sep 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because as it's become clear form this thread, the hand tool simply doesn't work for many of us half the time, meaning it's not al;ways an option. It's clearly another bug that needs looking in, though it's so clear that most people much preferred the scrollbars you gotta hope Adobe backtracks on this abysmal oversight altogether.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Alessandro5CB3,

> the hand tool simply doesn't work for many of us half the time, meaning it's not al;ways an option. It's clearly another bug that needs looking in, 

Yes, I agree that the function (and dysfunction for some users) of the hand tool is a problem in sorting the multiple concerns discussed in this thread. Without a properly functioning Hand tool, removing scrollbars is a work-stopper. In my testing in the Release and Beta versions, the Hand tool (and middle button drag) can ALWAYS be selected and functions as expected. But this is not true for many users. I usually cannot tell what a particular user posting here means by the Hand tool "doesn't work." Sometimes it cannot be selected (directly or with a shortcut) OR it can be selected but doesn't function correctly OR it works but does not allow the workflow the user wants or needs.

I suspect there won't be a separate bug for this behavior, but it certainly will get its own attention as the developers work with the bugs and choices in this change.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Stan Jones , I think there might be a place for you in the State Department. Secretary of state maybe!

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate