• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC: can blue text interface be changed back to yellow?

Enthusiast ,
Oct 06, 2014 Oct 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wondering if there's an option in preferences to change the color of the interface text. It used to be yellow and now it's more difficult to see.

I notice the blue text across the entire range of updated programs: AE, PP, Photoshop, etc.

So is it a setting in the cloud itself that would allow me to change the color back to yellow?

If not, not big issue, I'll just have to get used to it. Love the new interface in any case. Much more responsive with no issues.

Thank you, Adobe!

Idea No status Locked

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 337 Replies 337
337 Comments
LEGEND ,
May 15, 2015 May 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned in latter part of this thread....I am interested to see  how the "blue text issue" has been managed in the next update.

Willing to reserve my judgment until then.

Personally ...I am  impatiently anticipating and  looking forward to the other neat  stuff ..way more than this though.

FWIW -  I have become "acclimatised"  to the "blue" despite it being  slightly less readable for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 16, 2015 May 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with most people here who say that the dark blue text on a dark grey background is a readability nightmare. It's amazing how such a little thing can have such a negative impact on the usability of the program. I note that an Adobe staff member suggested lightening the overall color scheme in Appearance to make it more readable - amazingly enough, this makes the text even less readable.

This is one of those things which make you wonder how on earth it ever got past quality control. Text legibility is design 101 and every designer worth their salt knows that dark blue text on a dark background is a readability nightmare which gets worse the smaller the font. As an example, look at the dB readings in the Effect Controls panel. That's the kind of thing that can cause severe eyestrain, especially if you're the kind of person who turns down the brightness of their monitor at night. Yellow would be ideal - whomever persuaded you that yellow was too harsh was completely and utterly wrong. Yellow on dark grey has superb luminance contrast.

I would urge whomever is responsible for UI development on Premiere to read this article about designing with blue, especially the following quotes:

1) Blue has low luminance. The blue primary of white-aligned displays has only about 1/10 the luminance of the green primary due to the relatively strong coloring power of short wavelength light. Furthermore, the blue primary stimulates mostly the SWS cones, which are known to contribute little to the visual process that forms perceptual edges (like those that make up letters). Thus any graphics that differ from the background only in the blue primary will be hard to read.

2) Visual resolution of fine detail is poor for blue. The visual mechanisms that are fed by the SWS cones have been found in psychophysical experiments to have poorer spatial and temporal resolution than those fed only by MWS and LWS cones. This poor resolution is what allows television signals to allocate less bandwidth to the yellow-blue signal component.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 16, 2015 May 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent article, kingpup.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Sep 06, 2015 Sep 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same to me. I can't focus. It's somethink I can see, but I cant. Like seing at dusk...
I avoided VW cars because I can't focus and read BLUE GAGES.

Horrible. And all other icons went to monocrome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Sep 07, 2015 Sep 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. And Adobe's solution in CC2015.... Let people choose their own shade of, BLUE!

Rather than give them a colour that can actually be seen, let's pretend to give a damn and make them think we're looking after them!!

Thanks Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if it is true or not but i saw on a post somewhere that someone found the color in the coding and changed it?

Is this possible?

My Adobe PP CC 2014 crashed today and cost me time and emotional energy...I hate paying $50 per month waiting for them to finally improve the UI with color choice.

Does anyone know if i am waiting in vain?

Cheers,

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Soshman wrote:

Not sure if it is true or not but i saw on a post somewhere that someone found the color in the coding and changed it?

Is this possible?

I couldn't get it to work on my system...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2015 Sep 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the keyframes to go back to old yeller. Not the text. (But the keyframes were the bigger issue for me anyway). I'm on a Mac. I just right clicked on the app and examined package contents and replaced the graphics with yellow ones that someone else made. I'll see if I can dig the up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Adobe!

Hi Coastal Media,

"Adobe" can't hear you at all unless you file a bug report. You can do that here.

Thank you,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Mark,

My Adobe PP CC 2014 crashed today and cost me time and emotional energy...I hate paying $50 per month waiting for them to finally improve the UI with color choice.

Give feedback on that here: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin, thanks for the reply!

I have filed a bug report for this issue, and also a feature request report.

Cheers,

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bravo Kingpup! Unfortunately  Adobe's staff  seem to think they know better than ophthalmologists scientists!

Claude

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin, we've been many of us filing a request and the result is that they are not read and if they are, they are considered like old aged impaired customer's whims. Don't you think we deserve all of us a little more respect and attention? And it's the same for everything; I've answered to the customer's service with remarks to my renewal subscription about a month ago and still have had no reply! Curious way of treating customers at the company...

Claude

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Sep 09, 2015 Sep 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add me to the list of users who'd like to select the colour.  One the brightest settings and a very good screen, the blue is just about usable, however I can see that it would cause many users headaches.  Literally and figuratively.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claude Rozsa wrote:

we've been many of us filing a request and the result is that they are not read and if they are, they are considered like old aged impaired customer's whims.

What makes you think they're either not read or considered insignificant just because they haven't all been directly addressed yet?

There are reasons that the UI can't just be switched back or made totally customizable in one release. Some of those reasons are explained in other similar threads, but the short version is this: Resources and Application-interdependency.

David Moore said: "Add me to the list of users who'd like to select the colour. "

You could actually add me to a list like that too. But I try not to spend too much time focusing on things that I can't control. I just try to make myr voice heard and move on. The feedback links that Kevin posted are actually the best way to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"What makes you think they're either not read or considered insignificant just because they haven't all been directly addressed yet?"

The fact that I've read this discussion  all the way through and that since the beginning of it there has been a new version of CC and nothing of the kind was taken into account. Moreover Jstrawn my experience of how the company deals with requests is multiple sorry to say and not really to its advantage. If you want details ask Kevin to show you an exchange of email we had recently, which he at last after attempts to get a solution to my problem from others, took a month before he was the only one to have the courteousy  to answer it. I wont give names . There's a very serious problem of communications in Adobe I'm sorry to say. And this is a real pity considering the high standard of your products. But of course this point of view comes from an aging guy who is not a professional in the movie and Tv business but who happened to have used computers for the last 43 years and learned to communicate with end users. No offense meant to you my friend personnally.

Claude

Votes

Translate

Translate

People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

who happened to have used computers for the last 43 years and learned to communicate with end users. No offense meant to you my friend personnally.    

I was all set to argue the number 43 until I did the math. Crud. I keep forgetting that I really am that old. I started programming in 1971. OK. So be it. I'm old.

I am of the opinion that it is a combination of an ego who won't admit they made a mistake, and the fact that they want to have all of the apps use the same color schemes. Blue is a horrible mistake. If they admit it, then they might have to do something about it. To do that, they might have to have someone take the blame. I don't know the Adobe culture, but I doubt it includes the idea that if you never make any mistakes, you are not trying enough new stuff.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Sep 10, 2015 Sep 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steven L. Gotz a écrit:

I was all set to argue the number 43 until I did the math. Crud. I keep forgetting that I really am that old. I started programming in 1971. OK. So be it. I'm old.

Steven I'm not speaking of you, I'm not the kind of a person to have the nerve to discuss others experience or age in any way. One can be old and not been a has been and we're both lucky not to be whatever others may think. Moreover here I consider myself very lucky to have experienced guys taking time to help me in a matter which is for me a hobby and nothing else. As I see we happen to have the same experience having begun to use a computer terminal in my job as a financial analyst in 1972. I was considered at that time to be a complete nut! It happens I was not such a deviant guy after all.

I see that we share the same opinion and consider the same causes as the explanation of the situation. It reminds me of one of my doctors who had the nerve to tell me he was never wrong! I answered "lucky you are, good bye" and I left immediately the office without paying to save my life!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Oct 09, 2015 Oct 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just watched this technology preview video from MAX 2015 and the UI highlight color is yellow...wonder if they are giving us more control in the next update?

Audio Retargeting - Adobe MAX 2015 - Sneak Peeks - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow ... hadn't heard anything of this! That's ... interesting.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wonder if they are giving us more control in the next update?

Hi BKMS,

Answer: No.

I guess he was using 7.2.2 or something. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow ... hadn't heard anything of this! That's ... interesting.

Neil

Neil,

Project Boxcar is, indeed, interesting. It's really hard to do tricks like this with our current tools.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, B-car was interesting ... but seeing an Adobe presenter using a WAY earlier "ish" to demo a new project ... that's ... um ... curiouser than many other things!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, B-car was interesting ... but seeing an Adobe presenter using a WAY earlier "ish" to demo a new project ... that's ... um ... curiouser than many other things!

Neil,

Of course, I also noticed this immediately. It was weird. Sorry for the confusion....and for going OT.

Have a great weekend,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You too. Hope you get a nice weekend away from work!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate