• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC: can blue text interface be changed back to yellow?

Enthusiast ,
Oct 06, 2014 Oct 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wondering if there's an option in preferences to change the color of the interface text. It used to be yellow and now it's more difficult to see.

I notice the blue text across the entire range of updated programs: AE, PP, Photoshop, etc.

So is it a setting in the cloud itself that would allow me to change the color back to yellow?

If not, not big issue, I'll just have to get used to it. Love the new interface in any case. Much more responsive with no issues.

Thank you, Adobe!

Idea No status Locked

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 337 Replies 337
337 Comments
Contributor ,
Apr 17, 2015 Apr 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wunderbar, Kevin!  Thank you ... that is great news.  Resting easier now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Apr 17, 2015 Apr 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin-Monahan wrote:

Hi Sam,

It's not just UI customization, you're asking the team to create an all-new dynamic UI. Currently, the UI is completely static.

‌

How can the interface allow the user the change the lightness of the background....and still be "completely static"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Apr 18, 2015 Apr 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin, you should quit while you think you're ahead. Just sayin'

As a long time SW engineer, all I have to say about your arguments is this: "If allowing the user to change the color of text in the UI is a MAJOR OVERHAUL that requires an entire major release cycle, then Adobe has incredibly poor SW engineering discipline." But then, as jonny9091 rightly points out, we can already change the brightness of the background. He just drove a truck through your argument.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 22, 2015 Apr 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin Monahan wrote:

Hi Sam,

It's not just UI customization, you're asking the team to create an all-new dynamic UI. Currently, the UI is completely static. The upcoming version has dynamic elements, so you can see where the team is going. By "magic," I assume you mean morph-cut which was developed by a completely different team.

Indeed. To continue with morph cut as an example...

That has been a very complex feature to build in terms of its algorithms and codebase. It has required a lot of hard work from several people a lot more talented than myself. But it was still able to be done without a lot of inter-team dependencies and a big impact on all other features with every increment of change. So while it seems pretty amazing to look at and was really challenging to build, allowing user customization of a whole set of applications is a much bigger problem to solve and will take more time. So please listen to Kevin. He's not making excuses, he's telling you how it is as professionally as possible.

Any chance we can lay this issue to rest soon? Save for additional feature requests for it of course, which are always welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jstrawn,

I have not been complaining about the readability issues, but believe me when I say that we can't drop it until it is fixed. If I can't see it or read it, it means it is broken. And I am not complaining only because so many others have been. 

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To try and summarize the gestalt of this whole thread: My perception is that those of us vociferously complaining about the blue text are not asking the team to make a dynamic UI. Just change the hot text back to gold, and the current issue is solved.

And perhaps we should not let this rest. Squeaky wheels, and all that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 23, 2015 Apr 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeffrey S. Brown wrote:

To try and summarize the gestalt of this whole thread: My perception is that those of us vociferously complaining about the blue text are not asking the team to make a dynamic UI. Just change the hot text back to gold, and the current issue is solved.

And perhaps we should not let this rest. Squeaky wheels, and all that...

I actually agree with you. I'd rather just see it put back to gold right now, even though I can see it fine in blue, due to the vision/health problems some people have with it. But it's not up to me and even a seemingly simple change like that does not happen at the snap of a finger. There are always risks. Furthermore, the design teams chose make that appearance change for a reason, most of which have been explained, or at least alluded to, on this thread. So it will have to be a custom UI if anything, which will take time.

I'm not saying that you should not continue to make your voices heard. You should. I'm just suggesting doing so in the most effective way, which for most users happens to be the feature request/bug form. Of course, you can continue to comment on this thread and others as you please, I'm not trying to stop you, but at a certain point it becomes more distracting than useful, sort of like a plane on a treadmill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 07, 2015 May 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried at least 20 times, maybe 30, to add my feature request on this issue, but always says captcha is incorrect. I'm sure this is just me not being able to read the captcha... like the blue text. Please accept this is my feature request.

Hello Adobe,

The blue text and handles in the effects controls are nearly impossible to see. Please give users a few color options, or simply change it back to what was acceptable.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The next release was "debuted" at NAB ... and two changes were made. First, the blue of the input-text can be adjusted much lighter & darker than the current "ish"; second, there is now a blue box around the selected input-data showing that it is selected and you can enter data ... and that also is adjustable lighter or darker. Coupled with the adjustability of the background grey, it is easier to get it usable. I do wish that some other color than blue was available, but ... it will be workable for most people.

And that captcha has GOT to be the nastiest one out there ... sometimes I've hit it on the fist try, and sometimes it's been 15 and gave up like you. Which would indicate I've spent the odd minute filing such things ... 

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

always says captcha is incorrect.

I can't get mine through either.  Between these forums and that submission page, I think we have enough to say that whoever is running the web coding for Adobe needs to be fired.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 08, 2015 May 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ergonomic seems to be a foreign word for some people around the planet!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
May 15, 2015 May 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah i updated mine because i had to...my SSD crashed.

I have to tell you the idea that i have no choice in a software i have purchased for $800 in the past and now $600 a year in CC.... stinks!

I have eye issues with blue light and have a hard time focusing on it ( eyes and mental focus ). Blue light scatters and why good sunglasses have some kind of blue filter to reduce this effect

I loved the yellow and it was great....why dont you ask your users?

I get some people like it and can get used to it....but i guess if we just have one political party we can all get used to it too...or one color shirts etc.

You are better than this Adobe!

Or at least give us a choice to make it whatever color we like.

One of the reasons i stay away from apple is they do this kind of stuff..they know what is best for us and we just have to get used to it.

Come on...give us what we had.

I want the yellow back!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok i wrote to Adobe...not sure it will help but i think i am going to cancel CC 2014 and just put the old PP5.5 in there

This really Sucks!!!

I find it humorous that the folks that can see the blue fine dont understand how blue can effect others both visually and mentally for concentration.

Yellow i can go to right away...blue...it seems to take me forever to focus.

Who the heck would make this kind of change without checking with their current customers instead of forcing it on us???

Just doesn't make sense to me 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I just let my CC subscription expire.  I'll be fine with my PRE-cc apps.  There is some cool stuff in there, but I can do 99% of what I did before in earlier version of AE, PP, PS, and ILLUS. and no headaches.   The price jumped up a LOT anyway!

I'll consider renewing once I hear this has been properly handled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes i am reverting back to a previous version as i learned in another thread.

The responses from Adobe make it sound like we are in the minority ( astroturfing ) but when folks start having eye problems and headaches from it...i think they will revert back or give us a choice.

I don't know how these guys who do over 30 hours a week can handle the new colors???

Just in case someone else wants a roll back Install a previous version of any Creative Cloud application

PS as i think about it more i guess i could just get Adobe Photoshop elements for $100 and use one of my other audio programs and just let cloud expire too. So disappointed I was really loving CC!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Soshman wrote:

Who the heck would make this kind of change without checking with their current customers instead of forcing it on us???

Just doesn't make sense to me 😞

Welcome to the Adobe way of doing things! They're trying SUPER HARD to be like Apple these days. Earlier in the discussion, one of the staff actually mentioned that their Beta testers hated the new colour scheme, too, but Adobe went ahead anyway *shakes head*. Short of cancelling our subscriptions, the only thing we can do as customers is to keep filing feature requests and bug reports, and hope that one day they actually decide to listen to us.
Or, just wait until whatever over-priced UI design guru they've hired decides to arbitrarily change the colour to, like, dark-red interface with marginally lighter red highlights because of MODERN

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spent some time talking with Adobe staffers and major known users at NAB. First, what "I learned" ... and below that, personal comments will ensue.

First ... yea, they were probably kinda caught by surprise (though perhaps not everyone) at the outcry over the UI color change. It was as noted often, part of a "unification of look" movement through the company, and this is something that a number of other programs already had. So "it" was coming largely from On High, but granted, nothing that other programs hadn't already implemented with perhaps less acrimonious non-acceptance. Second, I think it is fair to say that the folks who were the architects of this were not aware of the true nature of the issues of blue and especially male eyeballs. Sadly so. Third, it was part of a complete re-write of the major underlying code which would be more work to change than we might think ... and from the explanations I got, this isn't just "smoke". Fourth, for all the clatter here and other places, the number of logged complaints was way under 10% of the user base.

So ...personal comments now. They walked into this one and it bit. However ... given the nature of the difficulty to change it and the smallish total complaint numbers, I can see the logic of riding it out until the next release came out. The next release is a month or maybe more or less from being released if they follow recent patterns. It doesn't bring back the gold (as I wished for also!) however they have done a couple other things ... the charcoal background is a LOT more adjustable, and they've kept the blue but done two things ... first, the blue text is adjustable to so light it's near to white and there is now a blue box around ANY data-entry that is "current" ... and you can set that highlighting box from very dark to very light blue also. Setting the "ground", the highlight box, and the text to taste is vastly better than the current UI. I've played with it, and it is adjustable to vastly better for those with issues with the blue (like moi) than the current public release.

I can work with this so much easier than the current one. Might be worth playing with when it comes out for you also.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TimmyCrackCorn wrote:

The price jumped up a LOT anyway!

Ugh, tell me about it. Canadians are getting hosed for the CC subscription; IIRC, it costs somewhere around $65-70/month these days...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derjis

I agree...the problem seems to be systematic in big business and government as well.

The people running the game get to decide and the heck with choice when they get so big that they are the only game in town. Slippery slope!

Adobe won my business and hard earned money from Sony Vegas and Apple Final Cut....but not sure what to do now besides the reverting back to an earlier version like i am now. But i might just got back to me PP5.5 discs and improvise Photoshop and use another audio editor...Sad but i have to resist this MODERN bullying in some way. My little $50 bucks a montyh might not make a difference to them but if enough decide they dont want to comply.....well that is a different story. Time for me to look at alternatives

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok i got my yellow back on the CC 2014 - 8.0 version but i cannot open what i was just working on...oh well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derjis, I think that's what so many people don't yet understand (but they will). The goal in any type of 'subscription-based' pricing is to get your customers 'hooked', and then raise your prices. Did anyone else get the recent Adobe survey asking why you haven't upgraded to CC yet? Sounded kinda desperate to me, and I let them know exactly why I haven't (and don't intend to) upgrade. Once you upgrade your projects, or create new projects in CC, you're hooked, and you can't go back to an old version, so you are either stuck with recreating those projects from scratch, or continue paying the piper... forever. Not a wagon I want to jump onto. So, when the price gets painful for you, what are you going to do then? Something to think about. Of course if you are a major studio always looking for the latest, then perhaps subscription might work, but still, you better think long term about old projects and archiving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think i am being blocked or something as my editing option was stopped...wonder if this will get through.

GrizzlyAK

I am not that hooked!  I have reverted back many times or changed. I dont do video editing like i once did and i basically do simple editing and i can use my Camtasia 8 if need be but my $800 version of PP 5.5 workes just fine.

Just think how much the designer got paid to make this illogical decision. Blue is conditioned for a link. Any good web designer knows never to use blue for text out side of a link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One last thing...can anyone tell me how to make a DVD in PP now? I don't see encore?

Did they remove the ability to make a DVD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil!

I may try it again...i will read your review of it first...LOL!

I appreciate the time you put into your answer 🙂

Soshman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You just need to install the CS6 version of Premiere through the Creative Cloud updater; Encore comes bundled with that. IIRC, you can uninstall Premiere CS6 after Encore is installed, if you don't want it on your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate