• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error While exporting Blu-Ray from Encore CS6 - CODE 3 Can Not open file.

New Here ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Team,

Getting the following error while exporting Blue-Ray project to the local drive on my PC. I have 25GB of free space. And this content is only 15GB. I have the latest version of Encore CS6, I have all the updates installed. I rebooted PC and also restarted encore. But no change. Same error.

Kindly Advise.

Thanks,

Venky

Untitled.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Encore creates quite a few temporary files when exporting your finished projects, even if you're only creating the blu-ray folder structure.  Even more free space is consumed if you create an iso file.  If the only drive you have is drive C:, you're working perilously close to complete failure of the operating system, even without trying to export your project.  As a rule of thumb, I'd allow a minimum of 3X your anticipated final output file size.  In your case, you also need to leave some disk space for the operating system to function as well.  You need at least 80GB free disk space.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Steve.

There are many Blu-ray Code 3 errors, and I do not find any other occurrence of this particular error (File Can Not Open). The _ves file and location in AuthorScriptSession folder does point to Steve's point about the size of temporary files Encore creates during BD build, whether for burn or image creation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve and ACP, I cleared files now, I have 91GB available space. And it is giving me the same error. Any other though what else might be going on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an experiment, save your Encore project with a new filename, and change the build from Blu-ray to DVD, and then export again.  if that works, it may still be pointing to lack of disk space.

I assume you have no external storage (USB HDD or flash drive) of sufficient capacity to just point the (Blu-ray) output to?  it doesn't have to be fast data transfer, as you're just trying to prove where the issue lies.  These are output files, so Encore doesn't care about the speed.  Given the anticipated size of your exported content, even a 128GB USB flash drive would allow you to test further.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might also try clearing the cache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Friends,

Created a Brand New project, Imported three videos as time lines, created a play list which includes three videos, used a menu from the template with a simple PLAY ALL button and linked the play list to the Play all button. Set menu as the starting point, Checked project for errors and made sure no errors were present and created the build, still encountering same error. Are there any limits in terms of timelines. etx. All the videos were exported from Premiere pro with H.264 BLURAY format at 1920 X 1080i format. And hence no transcoding was also required in ENCORE.

Not sure what is going on, I still get the same error. When I check the folder when I get this error, I do see these session files created and when click on OK button after the build failure these files are removed.

Thanks,

Venkatesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Steve's DVD test as a simple check also.

Also try a simple new BD project with the one of the files you created (timeline first play, no menu). Does it show "do not transcode" in the project panel, Blu-ray Transcode Status column?

The automatic deletion of the ves files is correct behavior.

Sorry if I missed this; what operating system? (PC or Mac?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Few things I did today.

Did a clean install of Encore CS6 one more time, used the Creative Cleaning Utility to clean up the previous installation. Then tried the following.

HD Export:

1, Created a brand new project with one blank menu and a button and exported to HD. The transcoding was set to Don't transcode by default for all the timelines.

2. it did not work. Same error.

3. Removed all time lines kept only one. Closed the Encore.

4. Re-opened Encore, built it again, it worked the first time only. Then tried to rebuild to check consistency, but was getting the same error.

DVD Export:

1, Change the Project settings to DVD as is.

2. Transcoded to DVD as is in Encore.

3. Built it, It worked.

4. Added coupled of timelines and built it. It still worked.

5. DVD always works because it does not create the session folders AuthorScriptHDMVSessions for DVD.

HD Export:

1. Changed back to HD and re-built it. The transcoding was set to Don't transcode by default for all the timelines..Same issue.

2. With single time line some time it works very first time when Encore is launched. But not consistent. Selected different output folders 3 times, some times it worked when the output folder changed but did not work most of the times. This is with single timeline.

I have also copied the session files. The files are there, not sure why it cannot open. Timing issue or something else?

M            96,438 00 Prayer.m4v.bdau1

11/15/2016  10:59 PM             1,377 00 Prayer.m4v.bdsf1

11/15/2016  10:59 PM            65,749 00 Prayer.m4v.__.mui

11/15/2016  10:59 PM             3,092 00 Prayer.m4v.__.ves

11/15/2016  10:59 PM           346,285 00 Prayer.m4v.__.xui

11/15/2016  10:59 PM             1,377 00 Prayer.wav.bdsf1

11/15/2016  10:59 PM           204,726 00 Prayer.wav.__.mui

11/15/2016  10:59 PM             1,272 00 Prayer.wav.__.ves

11/15/2016  10:59 PM           467,976 00 Prayer.wav.__.xui

11/15/2016  10:59 PM           171,678 01 MahaGanapathim.m4v.bdau1

11/15/2016  10:59 PM             1,405 01 MahaGanapathim.m4v.bdsf1

11/15/2016  10:59 PM           117,049 01 MahaGanapathim.m4v.__.mui

11/15/2016  10:59 PM             3,118 01 MahaGanapathim.m4v.__.ves

11/15/2016  10:59 PM           616,465 01 MahaGanapathim.m4v.__.xui

11/15/2016  10:59 PM             1,409 01 MahaGanapathim.wav.bdsf1

11/15/2016  10:59 PM           364,480 01 MahaGanapathim.wav.__.mui

11/15/2016  10:59 PM             1,292 01 MahaGanapathim.wav.__.ves

11/15/2016  10:59 PM           833,128 01 MahaGanapathim.wav.__.xui

18 File(s)      3,298,316 bytes

2 Dir(s)  120,232,185,856 bytes free

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good tests.

Operating system?

Single hard drive? External drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Single Hard Drive, Internal, 7200 rpm. I have one external USB 3 SSD 256GB. Encore did not allow me to output to that. Gave me a message saying it cannot output to an external source.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So on Windows the issue is never resolved. Problem persists.

I tried on my sons Mac Pro. It worked fine. Was able to spit out with 4 times lines, one play list and individual time line buttons. Worked fine on the Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On windows, be sure you are running "as administrator,"  not just from an account with administrator privileges.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you mean to say "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR" or I need to login as Administrator. I did try "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR". I can try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, "run as administrator."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 18, 2016 Nov 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The VES files are the pointers used by the mux engine and are not temporary files as such - lose these and the application will lose all connections to the content/playlists added. We get the exact same files in Scenarist BD after importing any assets whatsoever, and they are not cleaned up after mux completes (I suspect Encore is also using Scenarist based code here as well as on the DVD side) so the fact that these disappear when the process fails suggests something is seriously wrong.

Can I ask a couple of questions?

1 - What are the transcode settings here - VBR 2-pass by any chance?

2 - Are you trying to use 264 or MPEG-2? I recommend 264 as you get the same quality as MPEG-2 at around half the file size.

3 - What are the source file properties?  (frame rate, resolution etc)

4 - What are the target properties?

5 - Have you ever managed to get a completed Bluray encode done?

We will get you running somehow -

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2016 Nov 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stan, even with "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR" i had same issues. It will build up to 3 timelines. Adding another timeline started giving me the same problem. Even with 3 timelines, it will build first time after launch of Encore CS6. Subsequent builds gave me same issue. But with MAC i was able to build all the 14 timelines without issues.

Neil,

1. It is VBR 1 pass.

2. Im using H.264 BLuRAY

3. Source is 1440 X 1080, 29.97 fps.

4. 1902 X 1080 29.97fps

5. I was able to get it done in a MAC but not on windows. (WIN7)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make a simple DVD project, so your import video should be to the lower DVD resolution, and already transcoded correctly, so Encore can skip that step.  Use only one timeline, keep it short, around 5 minutes.  No menu, set the properties to play the timeline (first play), and all actions to stop.  In theory, you put your DVD in the player, it automatically plays the one timeline and stops.  If you press any button on the remote, playback stops.  I'm also assuming, you have no subtitles, close captions, region coding, or have macro vision enabled.  Check your project, then try creating both the folder based export, and image (ISO) export.

I don't think there's any simpler way to create a DVD, so if Encore can't create the finished folder or disc image, it may be Encore itself that's broken.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 21, 2016 Nov 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much free disk space dI'd you have available on you mac before you exported?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2016 Nov 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blu ray Error: "device error", Code "3"
Note: CreateStcSequence: Fail can not open

I was not able to burn BD, folder and image file.
After two days of fighting, reinstalling Encore recreating new files nothing help.

This how I got work!
Click with right mouse on Encore, properties, compatibility select "Compatibility mode" Run this program in compatibility mode for: windows 7

I hope it will work for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

joec37725596 wrote:

Blu ray Error: "device error", Code "3"
Note: CreateStcSequence: Fail can not open

I was not able to burn BD, folder and image file.
After two days of fighting, reinstalling Encore recreating new files nothing help.

This how I got work!
Click with right mouse on Encore, properties, compatibility select "Compatibility mode" Run this program in compatibility mode for: windows 7

I hope it will work for you!

i've been fussing with this error all weekend long. changing properties to windows 7 compatibility mode, and checking the box for run as admin fixed it for me as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reporting. Both good steps, and I generally believe the "run as administrator" is essential.

Just to illustrate how tricky Encore can be, I am Win10 and do not use Win7 compatibility. Also, when I just checked, Encore is no longer set to run as administrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You should also be more careful with file names.

Having a trailing underscore is not a good idea (the file is ending _.ves) and multiple . in the name is also a bad idea.

Use only alphanumeric characters and avoid dots, dashes and anything else - use an underscore for a space and please, never a leading or a trailing one if it can possibly be avoided.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines