• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Images in header/footer of PDF output no longer show since 2019.0.11

Contributor ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our company logo was in the top right of the PDF output, but it no longer shows there since the update.

Furthermore, the appearance and disappearance of the header and footer text is quite erratic. Some pages show no header/footer at all, some only show a header, others only a footer, and some show both, but still without the images.

The images *are* visible in the master page itself.

I have not changed a single thing on my master page for PDF. It was working perfectly before the update. It took me quite some time to get this working correctly. In about 3 weeks we will need to release the pdf output for this project. 

Please Adobe, help. I can't keep spending hours and hours again on things that suddenly break when I need to release actual documents with this software. 

TOPICS
New UI

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

If you are using resources directly from the web like CSS file, image, fonts etc then their download time creates impact on some of the dynamic stuff in PDF and you can see inconsistent behaviour. Their is an internal timeout set to 1500ms but on a slower network this might not be sufficient. In update 11 a setting has been provided to control this. In the preset if you go to the PDF tab you will find "Download Timeout" field at the bottom. Try putting higher value like 15000 and regenerate the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user to user forum although some staff will step in occasionally. If you want Adobe support you need to telephone them or mail techcomm@adobe.com.

Meantime your post has followed another on the subject. https://community.adobe.com/t5/robohelp/master-page-for-pdf-no-longer-takes-effect-for-existing-proj...

I will contact Adobe to see if they have had more reports.

www.grainge.org

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using resources directly from the web like CSS file, image, fonts etc then their download time creates impact on some of the dynamic stuff in PDF and you can see inconsistent behaviour. Their is an internal timeout set to 1500ms but on a slower network this might not be sufficient. In update 11 a setting has been provided to control this. In the preset if you go to the PDF tab you will find "Download Timeout" field at the bottom. Try putting higher value like 15000 and regenerate the PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That solved it, thanks!

It didn't have to do with the network, however, because I've got everything locally on my SSD disk. But for some reason the timeout was set to 200 instead of 1500, and that apparently was sometimes too small for the variables to compute and all the time too small for the images to load.

With 1500 it works perfectly from my local disk. The text as well as the images are present on every page.

Adobe had me scared for a while though. You can understand how I kind of panicked when something that took quite some time of trial and error to perfect (the CSS sizing of the logo and other images worked a bit erratic and the docs didn't describe where the header and foorter distances originate) was bound for another round of trialling and erroring 🙂 This will be the first document that is completely transferred to RH and will be published from RH from now on, so you can imagine that I need this to go smoothly to keep management support for the choice of RH as our main authoring tool.

But anyway, it works now, so thank you thank you thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify Vivek's answer and based on a behind the scenes conversation, 1500 is only the default for a specific project that he was looking at. The default is 200 and you only need to increase it to whatever works.

That said, I doubt anyone would notice much difference between the two.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, given that with me it didn't work at 200, from local disk and with a relatively recent laptop, I would suggest making the default 500 or 1000, because this will probably affect more people than just me.

And when you try to create a master page and you just don't see appearing what you've put in, looking at some obscure timeout isn't the first thing you think of 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll pass back the comments. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe even better: if things don't appear in an output because of a timeout, generate an error and say which number to increase. Things shouldn't just appear or disappear randomly without explanation. 

There's always a setting when it still won't work for someone (slow computer, slow network), and getting the feedback of why and how to solve it is IMO more important than getting it to work for everybody.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was experiencing missing headers and footers after the upgrade and this solved my problem as well. I wasn't using images but still had the same problem. I spent a couple hours trying to troubleshoot this. Like Erwin, it had taken me quite some time to get this layout working correctly in the first place so it was frustrating. I agree that this might be a common problem, so the default should probably be increased. Or even better, provide better messaging. But I am glad that this solved my problem.

Here is where I posted my issue.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/robohelp/headers-and-footers-are-missing-from-pdf-after-robohelp-2019...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp