• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After effects 24.6 renders darker videos when linearize working color space is on

Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2024 Aug 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After effecs version 24.6 renders darker videos when linearize working color space is on when using 32 bit per channel in color project settings.

The solution was to go back to the 24.5 version of After Effects. Older versions never gave me this problem before.

Bug Needs More Info
TOPICS
Import and export , Troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Aug 26, 2024 Aug 26, 2024

Hi @fernando321419769s0z

Thank you for reporting this issue. Are you using Adobe color management or OCIO color management in the projects that are rendering darker?

Additionally, are the renders showing as darker in the Composition panel or only when rendered to a file via the Render Queue? If the latter, what format is being rendered?

Thanks again for reporting this issue and for any further information you can provide, 

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate
5 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @fernando321419769s0z

Thank you for reporting this issue. Are you using Adobe color management or OCIO color management in the projects that are rendering darker?

Additionally, are the renders showing as darker in the Composition panel or only when rendered to a file via the Render Queue? If the latter, what format is being rendered?

Thanks again for reporting this issue and for any further information you can provide, 

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm using Adobe color management. The composition looks fine, only the rendered files via Render Queue look darker as if they needed a gamma correction. Every format I tried looked darker: Quicktime animation/H264 and mp4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 27, 2024 Aug 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following up here,

I have reproduced the issue and it is unfortunately a functional regression introduced in AE 24.6.
Currently all output rendered from an AE Project set to 32bpc Project Color Bit depth will be rendered as linear light, regardless of the Convert to Linear Light setting in the Output Module Settings: Color panel. This will result in incorrect results for any footage not being rendered to a Floating Point/33bpc output format like EXR (from a 332bpc Project).

Our team has identified the issue and hope to have a fix for this released shortly.

In the meantime, to round trip this footage into AE 24.6 successfully, you will need to set it as linear light in Interpret Footage:Color. If you need to use this footage in other applications, unfortunately you will need to go back to AE 24.5 and render your project from there.

Apologies again for this.

Paul, After Effects Engineering Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 28, 2024 Aug 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also happens with projects set to 8 and 16bit - not just 32 and it is across all colour profiles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2024 Aug 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having exact same problem and was going to report it but found this topic. I also use Adobe color management and output MP4 or image sequences are darker like no color output applied to them. I see message with the confirmation of the problem. I moved back to version 24.5 in a mean time.

Votes

Translate

Translate