Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[BUG] Effect name doesn't change in expressions when using a try catch method

Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2024 Jul 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi After Effects team,

I recently got into the world of expressions, and I noticed something that feels like a bug, so I'm reporting it here 🙂

When you try to rename an effect name that's linked inside an expression, using a try catch method. It unlinks the effect from the expression, while a normal expression without try & catch does rename it properly.

I've attached a video showing the issue, and the project file, hope that helps explain it.

(This issue is really starting to bug me because many plugins & scripts use the try & catch method.)

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Onno

Build:

24.5.0 & 24.6.0 (Build 50)

Platform:
MacOS Sonoma 14.5

Apple M2 Max, 64GB

(originally posted on the Beta forum)

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Expressions , Scripting , Workflow

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
1 Comment
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2024 Jul 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I believe I posted something similar a while back and the explanation was (as I recall) that under the hood AE makes the name change and looks to see if any expressions have broken. If so, it sees if it can fix the expression by replacing the old name with the new name. But for a case like yours (with catch/try) the expression won't break, so it won't get flagged. The alternative, I guess, would be for AE to check all expressions, but I'm assuming that's not feasible, so my guess is that this issue won't be resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate