• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No audio or visible waveform after update to AE 2023

Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to AE 2023 and opened a compositon, but when I toggle the waveform it does not show up and no sound plays. I checked that the audio is on, other apps still provide sound, I double checked the computer's audio output and AE's audio output, etc. and still nothing. When I shortened the clip at the beginning, a solid green bar showed up where the waveform was supposed to be, and when I hit play I heard a loud crackle/static sound, but then it immediately went quiet again and the green bar disappered. I tried rendering the file to see if there would be audio in the mp4, and there was still no sound.

Re-installing and utilizing AE 2022, version 22.6.0 (Build 64) was the only was I was able to edit with sound and see the waveform.

Windows 11 Pro | AE 23.0.0 (Build 59)

AE.2023_screen.grab_audio.panel.png

AE.2023_screen.grab_no.audio_waveform.png

Attempted to render and see if sound was in mp4 below (it was not)

AE.2023_screen.grab_file.rendering.png

Re-installing AE 2022 v22.6.0 below

AE.2022_screen.grab_audio.panel.png

Thank you for any help!!!

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 16, 2023 May 16, 2023

Hi all,

This issue has been fixed in After Effects 23.4, now available to all customers. Please install the latest version of After Effects and let us know if you continue to experience this issue.

Thanks again for reporting this issue,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
36 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the audio file that isn’t working?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 24, 2023 Aug 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

audio is not working for me too, after update I can se waveform but still no sound AE v23.6

all formats I try are muted, mp4, mp3, wav (for example all music downloaded from artlist is not working)

audio panel is showing no sound  

I work on macOS Ventura v 13.4.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue still present in 23.6 on MacOS Ventura: Waveform generation can stop, app reboot doesn't fix it. Working with 44.1Khz 16bit AIFF audio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2023 Nov 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This and of course many more issues still persist in Ae and Pr 23 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jan 15, 2024 Jan 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I narrowed down this bug: audio-only formats don't render a waveform (aiff, wav, mp3), but an mp4 (with just black video) does. Bug still present in 23.6.2, MacOS 13.6.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jan 15, 2024 Jan 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

issue also present in the latest 24.1 MacOS...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@zandwacht Can you provide a link to the audio file that's not working? This original forum post was related to an audio format at 16khz so if you're having issues with different file formats, we'll need access to them to reproduce the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jenkmeister . The issue was with any kind of separate audio file: aiff, wav, mp3 at 44.1 or 48Khz. New and old projects. Audio from Audition render, or downloaded from stock website. Even old audio from previous project.

I renamed my preferences folder (to reset) and the issue was gone: waveforms generated for any audio. Something inside of the preferences folder is keeping the waveforms from begin generated.

I was able to copy back these files from my old preferences folder to the one I reset without bringing the problem back:

• Adobe After Effects 23.6 Prefs.txt
  • aeks (shortcuts)
  • ModifiedWorkspaces
  • OriginalUserWorkspaces
  • Workspaces.xml

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2024 Feb 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue with screen recordings I do using the GForce ap, but no version of after effects I have will display the waveform or play any audio. I will record the audio through a separate ap and then bring it in. Makes it work but the audio usually ends up less than good. I downloaded a free trial of Audition today. I bring in the vide file, export out the audio. Check it, works and sounds good, but no matter how I export it out, after effects wont recognize it even though it came from Audition. I have ae 18 and 23, and installed 24, same on all of them. Any ideas on this? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@lancec52808354 I suspect the audio is not mono or stereo, but likely 4 or more channels. AE does not support anything besides mono or stereo. If you bring the audio file into Audition, does it show up as more than 2 channels? If that's the case, you'll need to adjust the GForce audio configuration to record stereo. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nailed it, thank you. That was easy to fix too I would have never thought to change that setting in Gforce, and its going to make it so much easier for me when I do the recording, so thanks again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate