• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wrong render output when rendering multiple composition with different resolution in the same queue

Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to report an issue we are facing since After Effects 22.4 and 22.5 (it doesn't affect AE 22.3) on two different workstations running macOS 12.4 Monterey.
This, by the way, doesn't happen on a windows 10 workstation.

The problem is easily reproducible. In a project, create 3 compositions with different aspect ratio, 1920x1080, 1080x1080, 1080x1920 .
When you queue the composition in this order 16:9, 1:1, 9:16, the last rendered (9:16) seems to be squashed in a 1:1 ratio, with a green rectangle at the bottom.
When rendering in 16:9,9:16, 1:1, the last rendered (1:1) outputs to a corrupted file. I'm rendering to prores quicktime files.
I uploaded a frame from the wrong the 9:16 output.
Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Workflow

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Hi all,

This issue has been fixed in After Effects 2023 (version 23.0) which is now available in the Creative Cloud app. Please install the new version and let us know how it is working for you.

Thanks again for reporting this issue,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
13 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for reporting this Michele!

What you have hit here is a bug in our ProRes Hardware Accelerated encoding. We are actively working on a fix for this.

In the meantime, the workaround for the issue is to disable "Enable ProRes hardware accelerated encoding, if available" in AE's Output Preferences.

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting the same issue as this in AE, as well as a similar issue in AME when I try to render a 1080x1350 (4:5) file. (see my prores output transcoded to mp4 attached)

Interestingly, my option for "Enable ProRes hardware accelerated encoding..." is grayed out!

Also on macOS 12.4 as of a couple days ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Paul for your prompt reply and for the workaround.
Have a nice day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this problem too. and Paul's setting helps sometimes but not always. I circumvent the problem by rendering Prores 444 if I am having a problem rendering Prores HQ or vice versa

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rendering to Prores 422HQ in version 22.5 of Ae creates a file where the image is squashed into the top half of the screen, and the bottom half is filled with green. The only other render option I'm changing is the color space to sRGB, which I need to do for a couple different clients. Prores 422 seems to work fine, but not HQ. Attached are the computer specs.

Rolling back to 22.4 until the next version. Have had to do the same for premiere and media encoder for other issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rendering to Prores 422HQ in version 22.5 of Ae creates a file where the image is squashed into the top half of the screen, and the bottom half is filled with green. The only other render option I'm changing is the color space to sRGB, which I need to do for a couple different clients. Prores 422 seems to work fine, but not HQ. Attached are the computer specs.

Rolling back to 22.4 until the next version. Have had to do the same for premiere and media encoder for other issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue as well, although it can be just one item in the render queue. My workflow has been duplicating and resizing a comp. Having this particular issue with 9x16 resizes but also the 1x1 renders occasionally render to a corrupt MOV which I can't preview.

The option for hardware encoded ProRes is greyed out on my system. I've changed from Metal to Software only. Are there other GPU related settings I should disable (GPU video decoding / Hardware Accelerated Panels)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Thank you again for reporting this bug. A fix is available for testing in the latest Beta builds of After Effects. Please install and try out the Beta builds if you can and let us know if the issue is showing as fixed on your machines as well.

Thanks again,

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just opened a project to export some social media sized videos from 22.6 and had the original problem. I can't say I've tried anything else in Beta but opening and rendering this project rendered the different sized comps as expected.

Thank you!

macOS 12.6 Monterey

iMac Pro 2017

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

This issue has been fixed in After Effects 2023 (version 23.0) which is now available in the Creative Cloud app. Please install the new version and let us know how it is working for you.

Thanks again for reporting this issue,

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was hoping someone could help me out on my latest problem in AE. Every time I go to export a 4x5 (1080x1350) or a 9x16 (1080x1920) I keep getting a compressed/squished frame like the photo below. The only workaround I've been finding is to close out AE then open it again to export one section. It isn't an efficient way of working and was hoping someone could help me out on what is going on.

PHOTO ATTACHED

Export Settings:

Prores 4444

4x5 (1080x1350)

9x16 (1080x1920)

and yes: it's set to square pixels

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Fragaphoto Thanks for reporting this issue. Please update to the latest version of After Effects 2023, as it contains a fix for this issue. If you are on an M1 Mac, you may be able to avoid it by disabling hardware acceleration for ProRes in Preferences > Output, but this option is unfortunately not available on Intel Macs that experience this issue. Updating should fix it for both M1 and Intel Macs.

Cheers,

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This hasn't been fixed by the 2023 update. I am still getting the same issue

Votes