Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6

Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2016 Jul 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Since updating to OS X 10.11.6 After Effects crashes and forces my computer to restart every time I launch the app.  I've reinstalled the app, updated graphics driver but still same results. Is anyone else experiencing this problem.

Thanks!

Adam

System info:

Mac Pro 5,1

OS X 10.11.6

Nvidia driver: 346.03.15f01

After Effects 13.8

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 03, 2016 Aug 03, 2016

This issue is fixed in the After Effects CC 2015.3 (13.8.1) bug-fix update. This update, available now, can be installed using the Creative Cloud desktop application, or by choosing Help > Updates inside any Adobe application.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which specific video card is installed?

Could you share a system info report (Apple menu > About this Mac > System Report > save this file) with me, via private message?

The After Effects team is investigating other reports similar to this. Mac OS 10.11.6 passed our certification tests, so we suspect a combination of GPU and driver having a bad interaction with GPU features in After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tim,

Thanks for replying. I'm using a flashed Nvidia Titan X. I tried to send you my system report, but didn't see how to attach the file

Thanks!

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Adam. I've received the file.

If anyone else is experiencing the problem, please post your system details here, including the GPU and drivers, and PM me so I can get your system info report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem and am in mid-project hell.

I updated to 10.11.6, updated to the latest Nvidia driver, and Premiere, AME and AFX all crash the CPU and force a restart. (I have a 5,1 8 core Mac Pro with 64 GB RAM with a GTX-680 (Mac Edition).

This happens if I used the Nvidia "Web Driver" or the OS X "default driver".

NVIDIA Web Driver 346.03.15f01

CUDA Driver Version: 7.5.30

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2016 Jul 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delete the folder:

/Applications/Adobe\ After\ Effects\ CC\ 2015.3/Adobe\ After\ Effects\ CC\ 2015.app/Contents/PTX/Metal

And everything will work again.  The "Metal" libraries are forcing GPUSniffer.app to panic.  You don't need them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You alandini! Followed your instructions and After Effects is now working again.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alandini good job! any tips for crashing on Windows? described here:

Ae 2015.3 stuck on flash screen suddenly

come and say hello

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Roei Tzoref wrote:

Alandini good job! any tips for crashing on Windows? described here:

Ae 2015.3 stuck on flash screen suddenly

come and say hello

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the windows version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2016 Jul 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't even find that folder..  Can you direct me please?    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 21, 2016 Jul 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't even find that folder.. Can you direct me please?

You need to right-click on the Adobe After Effects CC 2015.app icon and choose Show Package Contents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2016 Aug 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All dear users,

I get the same reboot problem of CC, however I don't know how to locate the files below in my mac

/Applications/Adobe\ After\ Effects\ CC\ 2015.3/Adobe\ After\ Effects\ CC\ 2015.app/Contents/PTX/Metal

Would anyone can help?

Thanks a lot!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 02, 2016 Aug 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

go to the Applications folder

go to the Adobe After Effects CC 2015.3 folder

go to the Adobe After Effects CC 2015.app

RIGHT-CLICK and choose SHOW PACKAGE CONTENTS (second option, below OPEN)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2016 Aug 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2016 Jul 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue Mac Pro 5,1  with GTX 980 Ti. ALANDINI's suggestion solved it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2017 Jun 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2017-06-22 at 11.48.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-22 at 11.48.52 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-22 at 11.53.05 AM.png

hello,

am having the same issue,

os 10.11.6

​ati radeon hd 2600

​install nvidia wed driver

​but no device found,

need some help pls,

​thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need an NVIDIA GPU like GTX 1080 or GTX 680 or other card.  Here is a list of supported ones: CUDA | Supported GPUs | GeForce

Your card is a ATI GPU. CUDA does not work on ATI GPU's

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks a lot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you should definitely remove CUDA completely from your system if you have an AMD card. See this page: Avoid installing NVIDIA CUDA drivers on computers with AMD GPUs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks mate,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same issue with both Premiere (2015.3) and After Effects (2015.3) and was on the phone most of yesterday with Adobe support trying to resolve. The support rep was able to fix Premiere but not After Effects on my Mac. I will try the fix recommend above for After Effects. He did say it involved the new Metal rendering engine added in the latest CC updates for Pr and Ae. I'm waiting to hear back from him today on a final resolution.

Mac Pro 5,1

OSX 10.11.6

GTX 980 (Mac Vid Cards)

Nvidia Driver: 346.03.15f01

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - I am having (actually, I HAD) the same problem as the original poster and others were experiencing. My two screens would go black whenever I attempted to open either Premier Pro or After Effects (latest version of each). As instructed by Alandini, I went ahead and deleted the Metal Folder found in the Contents of both programs (and the Prelude CC program as well, by the way). Everything works again!

For the record, my video card is NVIDIA's Quadro K5000 (built specifically for the Mac Pro). Because (for good or for bad) I upgraded the operating system to OS X 10.11.6, I followed through with updating the driver to the Quadro K5000 accordingly. So, my happy computer has the latests operating system and the video card has the latest driver.  (I have my complete computer system found in my User Profile.)

With this information in mind, I still have a couple lingering questions:

1) What was that "Metal Folder" that seemed to cause the video programs to crash? What added features (if any) was the contents of that folder meant to provide (now that the Metal folders are deleted)?

2) Anyone still experiencing issues with the NVIDIA-type video card with the latest driver (operating with the latest OS X 10.11.6)? I seem to be having issues. I am not able to choose the "Web Driver" option and have it remain activated after re-starting my computer. It always goes back to the "OS X Default Graphics Driver". This is new problem for me.

Thank you for any additional comments and/or insight to the issues we all seem to be experiencing, and thank you for answering my questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edward Fiebke wrote:

1) What was that "Metal Folder" that seemed to cause the video programs to crash? What added features (if any) was the contents of that folder meant to provide (now that the Metal folders are deleted)?

2) Anyone still experiencing issues with the NVIDIA-type video card with the latest driver (operating with the latest OS X 10.11.6)? I seem to be having issues. I am not able to choose the "Web Driver" option and have it remain activated after re-starting my computer. It always goes back to the "OS X Default Graphics Driver". This is new problem for me.

1) Metal is a new graphics API from Apple.  It can send processes to the GPU that OpenGL and CUDA can't, usually handled by your CPU.  If you look at those files like StabilizerWarp.metallib I'd guess Metal is handling the Warp Stabilizer effect etc.  I didn't isolate it to any single library file (I just removed everything), but my guess is it's an issue with Apple's Metal API talking to the latest Nvidia drivers...which means it's not an Adobe issue (unless they can disable Metal for certain system configs before the system panic).

2) Are you running driver 346.03.15f01? Perhaps uninstall CUDA and Nvidia drivers, then reinstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi alandini -

First, thank you for your thoughtful response.

I am running the latest drivers for the NVIDIA K5000, which I believe is 346.03.15f01. As mentioned, since updating to this driver (actually, since updating to OS X 10.11.6) things are "wonky", especially when attempting to manage the video card via its driver's software program via System Preference.

I wish I waited to update the operating system!  All was well up until then. (Ugh!) At least my other audio and video programs are functioning as intended, despite updating to OS X 10.11.6.

I am seriously thinking about going back to OS X 10.11.5. It would be a potentially painful process, but everything seemed to be functioning well with this version. When I get some extra time, I will try deleting and re-installing the drivers to the video card and CUDA as suggested. (I've done it before.)

Again, thank you. . .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines