Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE 13.8 Crashes OS X 10.11.6

Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2016 Jul 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Since updating to OS X 10.11.6 After Effects crashes and forces my computer to restart every time I launch the app.  I've reinstalled the app, updated graphics driver but still same results. Is anyone else experiencing this problem.

Thanks!

Adam

System info:

Mac Pro 5,1

OS X 10.11.6

Nvidia driver: 346.03.15f01

After Effects 13.8

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 03, 2016 Aug 03, 2016

This issue is fixed in the After Effects CC 2015.3 (13.8.1) bug-fix update. This update, available now, can be installed using the Creative Cloud desktop application, or by choosing Help > Updates inside any Adobe application.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 03, 2016 Aug 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same kernel panic problem that occurred on launch of Premiere Pro and Adobe Media Encoder on the same Mac hardware with Nvidia GPU's is also fixed in those applications by the Premiere Pro CC 2015.4 (10.4) and Adobe Media Encoder CC 2015.4 (10.4) updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 06, 2016 Aug 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to enable METAL support in AE and PREMIERE? The latest updates has blocked it. The METAL files are still there.

Some user has reported it was working fine with NVIDIA updated driver (346.03.15f02).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2016 Aug 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PanBeep wrote:

How to enable METAL support in AE and PREMIERE? The latest updates has blocked it. The METAL files are still there.

Some user has reported it was working fine with NVIDIA updated driver (346.03.15f02).

There's no reason to enable Metal if you have a Nvidia GPU with CUDA.  It's slower.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 07, 2016 Aug 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I know that. I just wanted to try this option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2016 Aug 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone!

I use: GTX 980 Ti 6GB , OS X 10.11.6 on Mac Pro 5,1 (12x 2.66 GHz, 32 GB RAM)

In preferences of AE (13.8.1) in GPU information I can't see shader version (see picture).

dd.png

I tried both drivers 346.03.15f02 and 346.03.15f01 - still the same. Is that means a problem with my card or something different?

The next problem is that my machine work very slowly in AE, preview must be set to 1/3 or lower to see even simple animation with camera 3D with 3-4 layers. Is it normal that AE is so slow?

Thanx for help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

vergo74 wrote:

Hi everyone!

I use: GTX 980 Ti 6GB , OS X 10.11.6 on Mac Pro 5,1 (12x 2.66 GHz, 32 GB RAM)

In preferences of AE (13.8.1) in GPU information I can't see shader version (see picture).

dd.png

I tried both drivers 346.03.15f02 and 346.03.15f01 - still the same. Is that means a problem with my card or something different?

The next problem is that my machine work very slowly in AE, preview must be set to 1/3 or lower to see even simple animation with camera 3D with 3-4 layers. Is it normal that AE is so slow?

Thanx for help.

That card is not "officially" supported on Mac, but you likely know that already...

Looks like you do not have CUDA installed, or somehow completely disabled.

Looks like the CHECK BOX for the "enable untested, unsupported GPU..." is also not checked.

Are you on latest OSX 10.11.6?

NVIDIA web driver 346.03.15f02 is version supposed to use right now (10.11.13)

CUDA driver is 7.5.30

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have:

OSX 10.11.6

346.03.15f02 (just installed)

CUDA driver is 7.5.30

still the same...

Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 23.15.09.png

I tried also to enable "untested, unsupported GPU" but that give me an error during enabling ray-trace 3D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe does not support Maxwell cards in After Effects in CUDA 3d Rendering engine, but... you can try enabling it for yourself...

I can run a cuda After Effects benchmark below on GTX980 Ti just by copying two files from NVIDIA developer SDK to AE folder: /Applications/Adobe After Effects CC 2015/Adobe After Effects CC 2015.app/Contents/Frameworks

These are the files:

liboptix.1.dylib

libcudart.dylib

Benchmark:

http://www.teddygage.com/AEBENCHCS6/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2016 Aug 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanx a lot. I will try.

I found this post:
http://www.macvidcards.com/blog/after-effects-hack-to-enable-maxwell-cards

http://www.macvidcards.com/blog/after-effects-hack-to-enable-maxwell-cards

this what You are talking about?

So no shading enabled in AE is the main reason why preview is rendered so slow?

What do you think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, exactly. This is it.

Is rendering slow in 2d mode too or only in 3d raytraced mode?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in 3D but I use only "Classic 3D" because Ray-traced returns known error and there no possibilities to work with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Classic 3D" should be fast enough to work with Full preview. I have the same card and have no issues like that. Do you have Nvidia web drivers installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

exactly

I have:

OSX 10.11.6

346.03.15f02 (just installed)

CUDA driver is 7.5.30 installed from here: Drivers - MacVidCards.com

I use: GTX 980 Ti 6GB, on Mac Pro 5,1 (12x 2.66 GHz, 32 GB RAM).

I am depressed and angry because I invested in GTX 980ti and thought it would be faster than R9 280x which I had previously.
Maybe MSR reset would help or clean install of AE?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects would not benefit from faster GPU as only some effects are GPU accelerated. The most is being done on CPU.
Can you share that file to test?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is another problem. My 12 cores are used about 25-35% during rendering in AE and the same amount in Media Encoder. I mean during final render. Why is so?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

vergo74 wrote:

This is another problem. My 12 cores are used about 25-35% during rendering in AE and the same amount in Media Encoder. I mean during final render. Why is so?

Sounds like you're more worried about stats than real-world performance.  If your project is rendering and not failing, that's a good sign...

Please see this blog post from Adobe about multiprocessing:

https://blogs.adobe.com/creativecloud/features-not-available-in-after-effects-cc-2015-13-5/

You can use AE CC 2014 (13.2) to enable multiprocessing if you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

real world performance is total sad. I saw some R15 benchmark and on GPU with other cards (N.B. much cheaper) and please see results:

Aaaaa.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your CPU score? I've noticed previously that Cinebench largely depends on CPU single core result.

You should use the other GPU benchmarks I posted If you want a real comparison.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

vergo74 wrote:

real world performance is total sad. I saw some R15 benchmark and on GPU with other cards (N.B. much cheaper) and please see results:

Aaaaa.png

Those results are fine and much better than many people receive.  However, all of them note OS X 10.10.0 and have three different GPUs between the four results. 

Are these YOUR results or results you're finding from a google search?  You stated YOUR machine is 10.11.6 and GTX 980...

If you're not going to provide accurate details and answers to questions, we can't help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

vergo74 wrote:

I send You my file. It is simple composition with camera 3D - 2 layers with logo and one with partical world applied, so movement of camera and 2 spot lights. 4 sec of project was rendered about 14 minutes.

And would you upload your AE files so we can download them and test the project, please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure,

it is very simple project but can help to check if something wrong is with gpu:

Files can be download from here: https://we.tl/7PEC3uzEWV 

I included screen with renderer panel and render time (about 18 mint) and full render frame from RAM info.

thanx in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very sorry for my small embracing in forums

Here are some of tests I've done on my machine.

Cinebench_R15_GTX980-Ti.jpgUnigine-Heaven-4.0_GTX980-Ti_1600x900.jpgUnigine_Valley_GTX980-Ti,-2540x1440.jpgUnigine_Valley_GTX980-Ti_1600x900.jpgLuxMark_2.1_Scene-SALA_GTX-980-TI.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your benchmarks are ok! A little bit lower than mine but ok. (Actually mine CPU runs at 4.5GHz) unigine heaven extreme.png

Mine Luxmark OpenCL is a bit lower – 3200

If your AE project is conccerned you should do two things. Switch to 8 bit and turn off shadows for lights. It will render in less than 20 seconds.

Here is corrected project file:

WeTransfer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

works. It means that I should switch to 16 bit and turn on shadows for light just before final rendering?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines