Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE display delay + UI flicker using dedicated GPU - Windows 10

Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I'm noticing a few annoying artifacts on After Effects when using dedicated nVidia GPU.

There are basically 2 things I notice:

- Display delay: When making quick changes in the canvas, the preview fails to show the end result, until I make a new interaction. For example, if I quickly type something, the textbox might fail to show the complete word, until I click again on the canvas. I attach a video demonstrating this. I notice this lag also affects the selection rectangle; sometimes the rectangle fails to disappear when I release the mouse button. It also affects playback sporadically (some frames seem to flicker).

- UI flicker: The brightness of the gray area surrounding the canvas seem to flicker occasionally.

These problems only occur when using the dedicated NVIDIA GPU (that is the default). If I switch to the integrated graphics card, I no longer encounter these problems, but I would like to make use of the full power of the dedicated card.

All my display drivers, Windows and Adobe software are up to date.

This is my system:

Dell XPS 9570 - Core i7 8750H - 16GB RAM

Inte UHD Graphics 630

nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti with Max-Q Design  (Driver v431.60 DCH-type)

Windows 10 Home 1903 (build 18362.239)

After Effects

Video showing the display delay issue (textbox fails to show last letter until I click again):

For some reason the UI flicker doesn't show on a screen recording, so I filmed it. You can see in this video how the brightness of the main area of the UI flickers when I click on different places:

This is the GPU info I found on the Preview Preferences in Ae:

Fast Draft:    Available

Texture Memory:    1608,00 MB

Ray-tracing:    GPU

OpenGL

Vendor:    NVIDIA Corporation

Device:    GeForce GTX 1050 Ti with Max-Q Design/PCIe/SSE2

Version:    2.1.2 NVIDIA 431.60

Total Memory:    3,93 GB

Shader Model:    4.0 or later

CUDA

Driver Version:    10.1

Devices:    1 (GeForce GTX 1050 Ti with Max-Q Design)

Current Usable Memory:    3,18 GB (at application launch)

Maximum Usable Memory:    4,00 GB

Thanks in advance for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 25, 2019 Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, have you actually tried to turn off the intel graphics entirely? This could simply be the nVidia driver causing conflicts and/ or the data transfer at the hardware level being problematic (bandwidth restrictions, data collisions etc.). In fact I suppose you should even consider yourself luck that AE is able to detect and work with both GPUs correctly, which in itself is a major issue for many users....

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mylenium​ Thanks for your reply.

I tried to turn off the intel graphics entirely, but the computer doesn't really work that well. For example, I cannot adjust brightness on the screen. Apparently on these kind of laptops the integrated card is the only one that can be in charge of the display, so I don't think I can actually turn it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, but these are the kinds of problems one encounters with laptops.  It does not help you, but try to imagine the problems people have on pad computers. 

This is why I have a desktop.  And why I don't expect too much out of Adobe software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2019 Jul 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave, it seems I'm learning that the hard way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello from 2022 my specs are:

Ryzen 7 5800X 
NVIDIA 3070 TI ASUS DUAL
Fast Draft: Available
Texture Memory: 4439,00 MB
OpenGL
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Device: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070/PCIe/SSE2
Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 497.09
Total Memory: 7,85 GB
Shader Model: 4.0 or later

Memory 32 GB

After effects 2021 and i am having the same issue
maybe this is monitor syncronization problem? i am working on freesync VG270Upbmiipx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello there I managed to fix it. My GPU was using g sync on the monitor when I turned it off the problem was fixed. Probably some weird interaction there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines