• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects 2021 can't save my project file

New Here ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using these After Effects the whole day from the morning till now. 

The program worked fine and everything went well. However, when I wanted to save my project file or import or save as. I've clicked everything but nothing happened. I don't really know what to do. And I have to hand in some files today and it seems it won't help...

I bought the whole adobe package and this little issue really frustrated me.

Please let me know if you guys had the same problem or solved the problem! It would be really helpful for me and for everyone!

Thank you 😄

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Hi all, 

This issue has been resolved in the latest After Effects release (v22.6).

After Effects 22.6 is now live!

Thank you all for your patience!
Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without any system information and a more specific explanation what you are trying to save where nobody can tell you much. 

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh wow... yes I was screwed.

yeah well, I'm sorry if my post is not clear enough. But that's why asked for help here...

First of all, I'm using After Effects 2020 with mac (Catalina). I'm still struggling with this program.

So, I wanted to save the project file that I was working on, and to continue working tomorrow on the same project file that I wanted to save the project file to either my desktop or somewhere. But, when I tried to save my file in a normal way. Such as, commend+shift+s or commend+s either File -> Save / Save As. It didn't show up anything and nothing happened. Once I clicked one of those saving related option and the menu disappears. I can't even choose where do I want to save it. Everything works fine except saving.

Hope this reply makes you more clear to understand what was the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue now and I don't dare to close the file even I clicked save. How did you deal with it bro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same issue, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ALL SENS,

Sorry about that.

What happens when you try to save the project? Do you see any error message? Also, what are your system specifications (CPU, GPU, RAM, OS)?

Let us know, we're here to help.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2021 Dec 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you need to give AE full disk access again after installing Adobe AE 2021, because the AE 2020 is seen as a different application so the settings and disk rights aren't transferred to the new app install (which is technically an update but you get the picture).

To do this:
Go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Full Disk Access > *ensure your Adobe software are ticked*

It will ask you to quit AE for it to take effect, so I just added my project to a Media Encoder render queue which "saved" it for me. Not the best solution, but it worked perfectly. 

And most importantly, I'm able to save my projects again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!! I lost so much work to this issue but now it's fixed. Thank you thank you thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. But it's the 2022 version for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem since the new update and it is infuriating now as I wasted hours and hours. I saved with Cmd+S every minute or so. When I click on Save a copy after a while, the save screen doesn't come up. It's not reactiing at all.

Autosave is on. Maximum Disk Cache Size: 93 GB. Have been using a hard drive now as I noticed problems arising after I updated the version that AE was in a loop with not responding.

I'm really not in a good mood anymore to use this program. I couldn't find any of the security as suggested above. Is there anything else that helps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a Mac guy, but I believe that's the same security context issues rearing their ugly head(s) that affect copy & paste. The first thing to do is to always launch AE from the dock, not clicking on a project file. Additionally, you will need to check the permissions on your user folder and the relevant Adobe folders, including the cache and preferences. Also consider reinstalling AE after you manually changed these folder permissions. No gurantee that it works, though. This seems to be all over the place and even if you may be able to fix it for a while, it may come back at some point. It is therefore advisable to at least save more often and as copies/ backups in case it stops working. So you at least don't have to start over from scratch every time.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2021 Oct 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi

I'm currently having the exact same problem with After Effects 2022 on Mac Catalina.

what did you do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, check to see if AE has auto-saved your project.  At least then you should have a copy of the project file.  (You DO have Auto-save enabled, right?)

If you have access to the Save or Save As options under the file menu, try saving to a different drive.  Try using Command-S to save as well.

If you don't have access or results from any of the above, I don't see any alternative beyond force-quitting AE, which may result in losing your current work, sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also having the same issue.

Save/Save As are options under File, but nothing happens when I click either. No dialogue box, and no way of choosing where to save the project. When I try closing the project window, it asks if I want to save the project first, I click SAVE and nothing happens. Auto Save is on, but I have no idea where those are being saved. Right now the project is just called 'Untitled Project'. Pretty FUN!!!!

AE 2022 / 2019 Macbook Pro / MacOS Monterey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is probably a rights isssue. Can you do a Save As to the Desktop?

You might want to check this page:
https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/preferences-folder-read-only-error.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue, After Effects will not save or save as. The application isn't frozen, I can access the Preferences and click around but I can't select my sequences or playback. Autosave hasn't been saving either.

Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 1.49.25 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-12-14 at 1.49.15 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@anaism59153805 update to 22.1.1. And note that M1 support is still "new".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. AE is not frozen, but I am unable to save or save as. No dialogue window appears. The application is responsive otherwise.

I have tried After Effects CC Version 22.0.0, 22.0.1 and 22.1.1 - all with the same bad result.

My specs:

Screenshot 2021-12-15 at 12.19.04.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clearing my preferences just worked for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2022 May 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks this just seemed to work for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey There,

So this looks like its the same issue as in Photoshop. It has to do with if you have an external monitor. You can try a couple things to see if this works (#2 worked for me, I can now save/save as in both AE and PS)

1.  Disconnect your external monitor (s), restart AE and try a new project and save/save as
  2.  If you have your external monitor and are using it as your main monitor (with menu bar moved to the ext monitor), try moving the menu bar to your main computer (assuming its an iMac or Macbook). Thats in System Prefs>Displays. Drag the menu bar to your computer instead of ext monitor. This is the one that worked for me.Screen Shot 2021-12-15 at 1.25.25 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What in the world is going on Adobe? 

I am having the exact same issue as described by other people here and this is the only solution working.

It's completely unacceptable not being able to save your work as a professional without having to change the way your monitor is set up. This is nonsense!!!

It's January 2022 and still a problem. This needs to be fixed right away - I lost 2 hours work and spend another hour researching and testing to fint out how to freaking save my project!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Johann,

See my response below. See if this works, I tried #2 and it worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2021 Dec 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone!

I believe you need to give AE full disk access again after upgrading to the new installing Adobe AE 2021, because the 2020 version is seen as a different application so the settings and disk rights aren't transferred to the new app install (technically an update but you get the picture).

To do this:
Go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Full Disk Access > *ensure your Adobe software are ticked*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines