• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects 22.0.1 causing memory leaks on M1 Max

Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running AE 22.0.1 on my M1 iMac (16GB Ram) with no issues. Yet when I render videos on my M1 Max (32GB RAM) I'm getting error messages saying "Your system has run our of Application Memory" or it simple has the goat yell at me and it crashes. 

22.0 worked perfectly. I'm sure its a new bug, just putting it out there. 

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, even on a 64GB M1 Max. Changing Memory settings in AE doesn't seem to do anything.

But I was having these memory problems with 22.0 (and even with the M1 Native Betas).

Anyone have a solution? I have to constantly purge memory to get work done. Besides that annoying problem, AE flies on this thing. Might be an Apple Problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the exact same issue uing AE 20.0.0 on a new M1 MacBook Pro 64GB. Getting pop up from ios saying I'm out of memory simply while working, not rendering.

I'm running AE projects that my older Intel MacBook Pro 2018 laptop ran without issues. It is making workflow difficult because I'm also purging the cashe to avoid crashes. I've read this is an issue with other applications too so possibly a Mac thing, hopefully can get sorted soon via an update or something. Keen to hear if anyone has any similar issues or work arounds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well one thing you can do is make sure that "Cache frames when idle" is turned off in the "Composition/Preview..." menu. I find it's trying to cache the entire work area, which in my current case it over a minute long, which messes everything up when working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact same problem here with my 64Gb M1 Max. Trying to set up to work on a commercial job alongside other machines and it's powerful - when it works, but this is massively frustrating. Any workarounds appreciated. Don't want to purge every x frames if I can help it as the render time will go up exponentially and defeat buying such a poweful laptop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I switched over the the latest Beta AE 22.1.1 (Build 68) and am still getting this issue. Extremely dissapointing, gives you 'range anxiety', I'm missing my previous machine where it seemed to mangage the memory in the background and I never confronted this issue.

I'm having to purge memory constantly which is really a disruptive workflow. Definitly my biggest pain point,  they're selling this technology on the performace of this software suite – this should be a P1 bug that needs to be addressed ASAP.

Thanks for sharing your same issue and I encourage any other users to do the same.

You can also post here too if you on the Beta and getting this same issue.
https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-beta-discussions/after-effects-beta-now-on-apple-silico...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing to try is make sure this is not one of those macOS 12 Monterey memory leak bugs. I just saw a post in the Premiere Pro forum where someone fixed their memory leak by changing the macOS setting noted in this article (Monterey’s memory leak and how to avoid it).

But note that since that article was published, additional macOS Monterey memory leaks have been discovered (More memory leaks in Monterey 12.0.1: how to avoid them).

Not saying Adobe is in the clear because no one’s posted confirmed info about whether After Effects is free of problems; some may be seeing different combinations of causes that could be in both After Effects and macOS. It will probably take a few updates of both macOS and the application to sort it all out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True, and thnaks for the links. I actually just throttled the default AE 'Memory & Performance' settings basically halving them which has helped prevent the issue for now. Just a bit confused as I've never had to mess with those values in the past and always used the default settings recommended in After Effects. But as you said not certain if it's a Adobe or Mac thing or both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm bug same happening in 22.0.1 M1 Max 64GB. Driving me nuts. Checked out the Monterey links below regarding custom pointers (which I DO use). Have turned off and problem persists.

Have turned off Cache frames when idlea and this definitely seems to help stop the issue. Not sure why it's endlessly caching frames to the point of running out of memory.  Seems like a definite bug as I don't recall it happening in 22.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem here... m1 max 64GB ... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2021 Dec 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having a similar issue with my M1 Max 32c 32gb but in other adobe suites as well. I get photoshop telling me iv ram out of application memory doing tasks I could do on my old intel. I talked to the guy at the apple store he said it's now a known issue do to with some elements of photoshop/adobe apps not being optimized to work with more then 16gb of ram (the old M1 ram maximum) hopefully this should be cleared up quickly it's makes me want to use my old computer 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to a 2tb ssd and 64 gb of ram and my computer does not go over 55% memeory pressure ever anymore. Just received it a few days ago and I'm  not sure if they changed something from the first shipments of the computer but it works flawlessly even when I'm running photoshop and Lightroom and final cut at the same time it doesn't slow down or go above 45-55% memory pressure for some reason. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple just released a macOS 12.1 update. The Apple release notes don’t mention anything about memory bug fixes, but it’s worth trying…if you install 12.1, is the memory usage improved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It hasn't solved an issue. 

64Gb M1 Ma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same. not solved. updated AE and mac OS, same issues. 64gb m1 max. no other apps open. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 18, 2021 Dec 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using 64Gb M1 Pro, Monetrery 12.1 and After Effects 22.2....... also have this problem! Any response from Adobe?

Thanks

Steven

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2021 Dec 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've yet to see anything of value to help the situation. I've found some old posts from Adobe saying that they "cannot recreate the problem" with users arguing with them that it is indeed a widespread issue, but that was from a while back I think.

Still searching high and low for a solution, as EVERY Adobe product I use causes this problem, "using" upwards of 40GB of memory that doesn't exist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. M1 Max (64gb). I've turned off all caching. I erased all cached files. I played through one clip (4k iphone clip / @60fps / 650mb file / no effects). Notification pops up half way through preview saying the application is running at 50gb and must close.

At least I haven't waited over 2 months for this to be delivered.... fml.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This needs to be addressed ASAP. I am running AE passively in the background. Not running or rendering the timeline or anything in the program at all. And it is sucking so much memory that my SWAP is going high. Come on, do some work Adobe! 

M1 Pro Macbook PRO

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a troubleshooting step to try and isolate the problem…

Is everyone who is having this problem using the current release which is not optimized for Apple Silicon?

Does the memory problem still happen when working in the After Effects public beta that is optimized for Apple Silicon?

I’m just wondering if it has to do with the higher and more complex memory usage of running a Rosetta app that is also RAM hungry. I recently did a personal project using the Apple Silicon public beta of After Effects and had no memory issues on my 32GB M1 Pro, but it was a rather modest project.

If it can be shown that the Apple Silicon-native version still has the memory problem, it needs to be reported in the After Effects beta forum ASAP, so that maybe it can be fixed before the Apple Silicon-native beta becomes the official version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My issues are with the latest After Effects beta. The project isn't huge either. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still getting issues. Cannot even render some relatively lightweight but long in duration comps as the computer dies when memory runs out (Max M1 64GB). Just insane how it gobbles up ram until there is no more.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My whole team is having the same problem with M1 Max (64GB RAM)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AE is in a kind of garbagey state at this moment. Another major annoyance - the complete inability of AE to ever respect the Maximum Disk Cache limit that you set in preferences. Adobe - there's zero point adding an option for the user to set a limit if that limit is completely ignored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There seem to be multiple problems with AE under rosetta on the M1 Max.  Users are also reporting that previews are much slower than on Intel computers with the same AE version.  Have you encountered that issue as well on the M1 Max?

If so, there is a user voice post to vote on to get adobe to address this issue:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911311-after-effects/suggestions/44654946-ram-preview-not-r...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines