• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects CC 2018 - playhead keeps going back to beginning of timeline

Enthusiast ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If my playhead is in the middle of my timeline, I'd like to play from that point. But the playhead keeps going back to the beginning of the timeline. Is this normal or is it a bug in AE CC 2018? I've never seen it do that prior versions. Is there some setting to toggle regarding the playhead because I haven't found it in Preferences.

Thanks very much in advance.

Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 10.15.21 PM.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Your solution is not the real solution - it just so happens that default setting for Previews initiated with the Spacebar is set to start Previews from Current Time. What you should be looking at is Preview Panel; specifically, the Play From setting - it has a menu below it which provides for two Play From (Preview start point) - Start of Range and Current Time.

When set to Current Time, your Preview will begin at the Current Time Indicator (CTI) and proceed onwards - where the Preview ends gets

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just figured it out. You have to option select "Reset Preview Option" (U-turn arrow symbol) right of the Spacebar drop down menu. Now it's playing from any position I want on the timeline.

Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 10.20.35 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your solution is not the real solution - it just so happens that default setting for Previews initiated with the Spacebar is set to start Previews from Current Time. What you should be looking at is Preview Panel; specifically, the Play From setting - it has a menu below it which provides for two Play From (Preview start point) - Start of Range and Current Time.

When set to Current Time, your Preview will begin at the Current Time Indicator (CTI) and proceed onwards - where the Preview ends gets tricky as it depends on the Range setting. When "Start of Range" is selected, the Preview begins at the frame set by the "Range" parameter.

It is useful to note that you can have two Preview settings; with each set to start at different points in time. On my system, I have Spacebar set to initiate Previews at the CTI and Shift+Spacebar to initiate Previews starting from the Range - my Range is set to Work Area for both shortcut keys.

Although the Shortcut menu provides up to seven Preview options; only the Play From option dictates where in time, the Preview begins. You can add other Preview shortcuts via the Shortcuts menu but these will be relevant based on the Range you select for the shortcut. So, you can set Numpad 0 to start Previews from the beginning of the Timeline by selecting Numpad 0 from the Shortcut Menu; Entire Duration from the Range Menu and Start of Range from the Play From Menu.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Incredibly frustrating. This is exactly the thing I know already, that I need to know, but it doesnt answer to the question WHERE. I know this is possible since it is obvious, but do I need to open Preferences tab? Is this a setting in the editor, or in composition? Is this somewhere in the composition field or in general settings? Just a single picture with an arrow would tell more than 1000 words.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, IdoKoala:

Here's a screenshot that shows the Play From pop-up menu in the Preview tab set to Current Time.

-Warren

AE Preview set to Play From Current Time.AE Preview set to Play From Current Time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome Roland Kahlenberg, this works. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OMG thank you nto @Roland Kahlenberg and all the other valorous heros for being such good communitiy members. This is exactly what I need to know. Your post is the best thing on the internet today FOR SURE. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is the solution--thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a huge help. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks man! u saved me from lot of frustration xoxoxoxo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly what I needed tysm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forget this once every couple of years and have a fustrating day. As said above the trick is to hit loopy arrow to the right of the drop down Shortcut menu as well as having all the drop down settings set correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the way!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I tried to do exactly this, however, it still is not working 😞
If anyone has the same problem with the lastest update or knows how to resolve it, please let me know 🙂

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello jikkev94701455:

Could you expand your Preview panel such that it shows all of the options from the play buttons to "Move time to preview time", take a screenshot, and then post it?

Here's an example of how After Effects 18.2.1 might be confirgured:

After Effects version 18.2.1 Preview Panel configured to play the Work Area extended by the Current Time when Spacebar is pressed.After Effects version 18.2.1 Preview Panel configured to play the Work Area extended by the Current Time when Spacebar is pressed.

In this example, the Preview Panel is configured to play the Work Area extended by the Current Time when Spacebar is pressed.  If yours is set like this, make sure that the Current Time is within the Work Area when the Spacebar is pressed if you only want to play the Work Area.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines