• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AI to AE Blending Modes

Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2019 Mar 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there something I should be doing in Illustrator to control blending modes when brought into After Effects? I had a number of objects on different layers that used the Color Dodge blending mode but upon opening in AE, they were set to Normal. Do I need to apply the blending mode to the whole layer rather than the objects on them?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 04, 2019 Mar 04, 2019

The blending modes do not translate across layers like they do in AI.

All of the shapes must be on the same layer or a group for the blend modes to show up in a composition made from an AI file,  but they are not editable.

If you need to edit blending modes you can choose Layer>Create>Shapes from Vector layers, and as long as the fills are simple (not gradients) you will get a group with each path and shape in the AI layer and you can then edit the blend modes any way you like.

Screenshot_2019-03-04 17.24.11_WglUjs.png

I hope this makes se

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't rely on IL blending modes to properly come in to AE.  Use the blending modes in AE for your Illustrator layers -- life gets a whole lot easier if you do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The blending modes do not translate across layers like they do in AI.

All of the shapes must be on the same layer or a group for the blend modes to show up in a composition made from an AI file,  but they are not editable.

If you need to edit blending modes you can choose Layer>Create>Shapes from Vector layers, and as long as the fills are simple (not gradients) you will get a group with each path and shape in the AI layer and you can then edit the blend modes any way you like.

Screenshot_2019-03-04 17.24.11_WglUjs.png

I hope this makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info. After a bit of fiddling about, I'm happy to get pretty much the exact same look in AE as I had in AI. AE on the left, AI on the right.

Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 9.51.05 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I recommend using Overlord for this kind of work! You can import layers easily from AI > AE

https://www.battleaxe.co/overlord

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines