• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Apply faux text styles to multiple text fields

Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2024 Jun 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to apply faux text styles from the Essential Graphics panel to multiple text fields? I'm trying to create a lower thirds mogrt where the text and styles are all linked but the position of the graphic, direction of the animation, etc changes with each one. Position would be picked from a dropdown menu in the mogrt. I've gotten the source texts linked to match, but the styles won't link. As you can see in the screenshot, all caps is chosen for the Title, and it works on the left side, but not the right. 

Screenshot 2024-06-05 at 2.10.31 PM (3).png

I currently have the source text and the different colors pick whipped to the Essential Properties in the Left Aligned comp so they are all linked. Because the text and faux styles are added within the Essential Graphics panel, I couldn't get those included. I was planning on pre-comping each position so the dropdown menu options would work. Is there an Expression Control preset for font that can be used more globally? Or a scripted reference I could put in the text expression to link the styles?

Also, this might not be the most efficient way to make a mogrt like this, but it made the most sense in my head! If there's an easier way to link text and styles and/or have different position options for a mogrt like this, please let me know 🙂 Thansk for any help on this!

TOPICS
Expressions , How to , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 06, 2024 Jun 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @bethanghi,

Check out this tutorial about text styles.

You'll apply this to the child text's Source Text you want to copy the parent text and change the layer name:

var parentText = comp("Left Aligned").layer("Title 1").text.sourceText;
var parentStyle = comp("Left Aligned").layer("Title 1").text.sourceText.style;
parentStyle.setText( parentText );

You say that this isn't the most efficient way to make a mogrt like this, but I also make mogrts the same way because this way makes sense to me too. The user experience is important to make it easiest for your editor, it just has a bit more of a curve in putting it all together.

Cheers,

Theresa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jun 07, 2024 Jun 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you design systems, the more elegant and ideal way is to have a dedicated Text Styling Layer. Other Text Layers can then read from this Text Style Layer. So, All Styling is centralized and it's easy when someone else needs to come in or take over the AE project, to update the Text Syling for the same or different client. 

Then, since this use-case requires identical Text Content, you will create a different set up, a Tokenized version or a separate Component, where the Text Style Layer also acts as the Text Content Area – name this layer differently from the earlier version since they are both viable components that can be scaled for different use-cases/clients.

Then, for your animating Text Layers, depending on how complex they are, this can be set up as a single-layer solution or a two-layer solution – one for each of the Left/Right vesions. 

If you're keen to learn more about designing Video Design Systems and grow a bigger brain to really take your MoGRT Development skills up multiple notches, come look me up on LinkedIn or Twitter. I often post on developing Video Design Systems and MoGRT Development is an integral part of my workflow. I will also be launching an Advanced After Effects course on developing highly intelligent and even automated workflows that involve a lot about Video Design Systems & MoGRTs. 

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines