• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best practice for using iPhone 13 HDR footage

Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been exploring the nice HDR footage from my new iPhone 13 Pro, on my iMac that unfortunately is one generation prior to having native HDR support (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019 - HDR was added to the 2020 iMac models). Even without this HDR support, HDR footage (as viewed in Apple apps) has noticeably more contrast and richer color than non-HDR footage, so I'm trying to figure out if I can use it with AE and AME to at least get "pass through" color behavior - i.e. ensure that both the original imported AE footage and the rendered HDR result from AME look the same as what Apple apps (e.g. Apple TV) display for the same content.

I've tried everything I can think of in both AE and AME that should affect color conversion, and I haven't been able to achieve this goal. So instead of dragging you through all those details yet, I'll start with a couple key observations, since I might be running into a known "you can't get there from here yet" issue.

The first clue is that AE never displays the original HDR footage the same as TV does. Logically, I believe it should if I either a) turn off color management by specifing "None" as the project working space and "Preserve RGB" as the footage's profile, or b) specify both of these as "Rec.2100 HLG W203" (which matches what MediaInfo reports Apple uses for its HDR color space). However, AE actually displays the same thing for the footage in either case (less contrast and less rich colors), which makes me wonder whether I'm missing some other setting I need to change.

The other big clue is that if I export either a) or b) to AME for rendering as HEVC (h.265), AME's encoding settings default to "Rec. 709" as the export color space, and when I change this to "Rec. 2100 HLG", and choose 203 for "HDR Graphics White", the rendered result is washed out (and matches AME's output preview with Display Color Management enabled). And neither exported result matches that of the original in AE, after importing them and dropping them into the comp with the original.

Per Adobe's "HDR for broadcasters" page in the online Premiere Pro help, I wonder if maybe both PP and AE currently only support HDR from ProRes and XAVC-Intra codecs, and not yet HEVC. I haven't found any equivalent help for AE's HDR support. That would make a lot of sense actually, if HDR support is an evolution, which Premiere's help implies. But if so, shouldn't AE's help document something about this too?

And I haven't yet explored iPhone ProRes in AE, primarily b/c they're overkill for most of my intended work, and the fact that Apple requires HEVC for so many Camera app features.

Thanx much for any insights.

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have an answer to your problem, but I am having a similar issue which I discuss in this post but have not found a solution yet. It seems to be that AE treats the footage as Rec. 709, even when changed to Rec. 2100 HLG. I suspect this is something Adobe needs to fix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I've at least figured out a best practice that supports a primary expected workflow - predictable color results for iPhone HDR footage. Tag the footage as "Rec.2100 HLG W203" (since that's what it is), set the project working space to "Rec.709 Gamma 2.4", turn on display color management (to improve the accuracy of color edits), and use Lumetri to adjust the color.

With some effort, I can get reasonably close to what the TV app shows, and rendering with AME with appropriate encoding settings produces output that matches the source, when placed in AE. Yippee.

In retrospect, this all makes sense now, though it makes me think an input LUT for Lumetri, to map Prec.2100 to Prec.709 would make this workflow easier. Does anyone know if something like this is available?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2023 Aug 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have placed my workflow and AE LUTS for iphone 14 HDR footage in after effects here

http://irenabyss.com.au/AfterEffects_HDR_ColourWorkFlow2023/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines