Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't move anchor point?

Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2012 Mar 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using CS4.

When I try to select an anchor point, any actions I take immediately highlight the position and move the position - not the anchor point. I am using the selection tool - doesn't matter if I select via the layers or via the display - same thing happens.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Sorry for the confusion! I think the easiest way to move your anchor point is using the Pan Behind Tool in the toolbar. We made a visual walkthrough of the process here:

Hope this helps!

Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You use the pan behind tool to move anchor points.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I selected that tool, and then the anchor point and it didn't move at all. Nothing that I could see moved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2012 Mar 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use the Pan Behind Tool (keyboard shortcut is the y key) and grab the anchor point, the anchor point moves relative to the layer but the layer's apparent position in the composition doesn't move. If you check the position values in the timeline you'll see that they change as you drag the anchor point around the layer.

Screen Shot 2012-03-09 at 7.03.29 AM.png

If you grab the anchor point values in the timeline the relative position of the layer appears to move in the composition window but the position values don't change because the position of the anchor point isn't moving in relation to the composition.

The position value of a layer is always the position of the anchor point relative to the composition. The anchor point value is the position of the anchor point relative to the layer. Rotation and scale both center around the anchor point.

I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2012 Mar 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to do anything with that tool at all. I'm wondering if I have a messed up setting or something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 12, 2012 Mar 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of layer are you working with? Could you provide some screenshots?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You also need to temporarily remove any parent/link the layer has. At least that solved my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the answer: uncheck collapse transformation in the layer you want to move the anchor point. sdsdsdw.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solved my problem, thank you!

*Pan behind tool not working. Keeps selecting other layers. Not moving anchor point.* (for people searching the answer)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS is the answer I was looking for! Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, make sure no other layers are selected (this was my schoolboy error!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's it! Thank You 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the confusion! I think the easiest way to move your anchor point is using the Pan Behind Tool in the toolbar. We made a visual walkthrough of the process here:

Hope this helps!

Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to select the anchor point (it's visible, just can't be selected without moving the entire object) in Photoshop too? It normally works but for some reason I just can't indepentently select the anchor this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@caroline_edits I'm having the same problem of not being able to move the anchor point on an imported .ai file layer (a butterfly wing). I've made sure that the Collapse Transformations box is unchecked for the wing layer. I've also clicked on the Pan Behind tool at the top of the interface. The anchor point won't move. When I used the Layer menu at the top and chose Transform > Anchor Point, the entire layer file (image) would move with the change in x and y value. ....... I just figured out that After Effects won't work correctly with my Logitech M510 mouse on a Lenovo P72 laptop. I had to use my touch pad to get the anchor point to move with the Pan Behind tool. Why, I do not know. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2023 Jun 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

same problem! have you found the resolution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines