• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't see clip keyframes in timeline

New Here ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a clip in my timeline and when I keyframe transform values, the keyframes don't show up in my timeline. The keyframes are working (the clip is zooming and rotating) but I can't visualy see them. I also tried adding an effect to the clip and the keyframes for that don't show up for that either.

I can see the keyframes for my shape layer just fine.

Added screenshots to show what I mean.

TOPICS
Error or problem , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start by checking whether you actually have applied the latest update. Several of those keyframe-related bugs were fixed in those updates.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing in your screenshots that tell us anything about what may be causing the problem because they are cropped so much. Also please embed the screenshots using the toolbar.

KeyframesInShape.pngNoKeyframes.png

To reveal keyframes press the U key, then press k or j to jump to the next available keyframe. The CTI will park on a keyframe. We have no way to tell if you have zoomed in on the timeline so that you can't see the keyframes. 

Screenshot_2020-06-03 12.30.34_B0M5F4.png

This could easily be user error instead of a display problem. Please don't crop your screenshots and show us all the modified properties in the layers you are having problems with by pressing the U key twice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for not being more specific, but I already tried using k and j to jump to keyframes, and they do indeed exist, I just can't see them. I just found this other thread, and I'm pretty sure it is the cause. My source footage is 4 hours long and I'm editing from past the 3 hour mark. Unfortunate that this hasn't been fixed since 2017 but whatever.

I took a screenshot of my whole envorinement anyway just incase. Also yes I checked for updates.

Screenshot_102.png 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The biggest problem you are having is that After Effects is NOT an editing app and 4 hours in AE, even if there are only a half dozen cuts in the comp is, well, to be frank, nuts.

Trim your shots in Premiere Pro and only use After Effect to do what needs to be done to the frames you can't process in your NLE. After Effects was never intended to be used as a video editing system. You are trying to drive nails with a screwdriver. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, my fault for not being detailed enough. This is a ~10 second dynamic link from Premiere Pro. But the comp imported into AE automaticly is still the orginial 4 hours, so I don't think it matters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I'm confused.

Screenshot_2020-06-03 23.25.50_EmlSfN.png

It looks to me like the Comp created by Dynamic Link is 3 seconds and 23 frames at 59.881 fps. 

The nonstandard frame rate makes me think that you are using footage from a mobile device or screen capture that is running at a variable frame rate. That could be the source of the problem. AE and Premiere Pro do not like variable frame rate footage and all of your comps should be set to a standard frame rate. If they are not and you post the video YouTube, Facebook, and Vimeo will all take a sledgehammer to the video and bang it into the closest standard frame rate. That could also easily explain your invisible keyframes.

I don't see any comp in your screenshot that is 4 hours long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The comp is only 3 miniutes but the source footage is 4 hours, it shows up here:

Screenshot_104.png

I did try to change the comp to 60 fps but the keyframes are still missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are still legitimate uses for long AE comps. In my case, I'm editing down a 5 hour livestream. I'm not using AE to edit, but I'm using it to mask out the facecam which unfortunately requires the occasional mask path adjustments. My workflow is significantly easier if I can do it in a single comp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if you realize this but Premier Pro has excellent mask tracking capability. It's a lot faster than AE for what you describe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2023 Sep 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is an editing app. It's just another tool for getting the job done that some prefer because it's easier and quicker to do some things in AE vs PP, and, if the final exported video works for the client, that's all that matters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines