• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cant select last letter in a line of text - After Effects v 22.1.x and v22.x

Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have an issue in AE where if I click and drag on a line of text it wont let me select the last letter, this happens if I click and drag left, or right. I have no idea what is causing this.

I thought it was the GPU - I have an Zotac RTX3080 I swapped it out for an RTX 3070 and am still having the same issue. I uninstalled AE Juice as that seems to cause random problems with AE now, and am struggling to figure out what may be causing this.

I have a Core i9 10920x an Asus Rog X299E mother board, 64gb of Ram DDR 3600 (XMP is on) and the Zotac RTX 3080 - I have updated graphics drivers and still no luck.

I was running two 4K monitors, and have unplugged on thinking that maybe that was an issue, but no luck.

Please help. I am losing my mind with this problem.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Hi all, 

After Effects 23.0, released a few hours ago, has fixed this issue. 

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 130 Replies 130
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried deleting my preference to no avail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have also tried swapping my keyboard. Updating my bios uninstalling and re-installing AE, uninstalling all of my plugins and its still an issue in AE. In premier and photoshop selecting and highlight text is fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi defaultq4sh6gisdyl8,

This is not an issue with the GPU, this is related to the After Effect Text engine. Sorry about that. The After Effects team is aware of this issue and they are working on a fix. Please keep an on the updates.

Feel free to reach out if there are any other questions.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is kinda of a joke. Adobe continiously puts out substandard software and forces users to find hack work arounds because they cant be bothered to actually test and vet their software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nishu, it was finally fixed in 22.4.0 but now after updating to 22.5.0 it's back! Can you please take note of this and let the adobe team know? Here is a screenshot from the latest 22.5.0 release and I cannot grab the last character when drag selecting. I will have to roll back to 22.4.0 where it works. 

Screenshot 2022-06-22 201638.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, that is super annoying to me as well.

I know about this and am actively looking into it.

Douglas Waterfall

After Effects Engineering

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 06, 2022 Jul 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is just amatuer day at Adobe. How many millions of dollars are you guys raking in? Yet you still let your products out into the wild with issues. And even worse letting these issues BACK into the wild after they have been addressed. This is not acceptable. A day of reckoning is coming for Adobe, because someone is going to put out good products for less money, and the world is going to jump ship. It's a shame that we constantly have to deal with these substandard programs. I'm so over it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2022 Jul 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess we could code our own motion graphics application.

Have you had a chance to try out Multiframe Rendering?  It gave my 2017 iMac Pro new life (renders finish in about half the time).  Making sure all my third party plugins are MFR aware took some effort.  If only we could each afford a well qualified software technician to make sure our OS, drivers, and applications were all good to run.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a same issue, so what i have to do to fix this.

Thank you in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just in case you guys didn't know, you can click in the text line where you want to start, and hold the shift key + left or right arrow to select from that point forward or backward. It will highlight the individual letters from that point on, so you can make changes. It's a workaround, but it's still better than fighting with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks mate- life saver!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone else having the issue when highlighting text in After Effect 2022, it's really difficult to select a full line of text? It seems to get stuck on the first / last letter unless I'm extremely agressive / fast with the mouse. Most of the time I end up resorting to shift+arrow the final letter which can be annoying when working on a text heavy piece.

It's not a major issue but it would be good to get the issue known to Adobe for a fix and gauge how many other people are running into this. I'm certain this wasn't a problem in previous itterations.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @dwitm

Thanks for posting to the community. 

The After Effects team is aware of this bug and is working on a fix. So far, I have only seen a few reports for this bug.

Best,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply, good to know it's being worked on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same exact issue and was told adobe would fix, but nothing yet. Come on adobe, this needs to be resolved asap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have this same problem. So do countless others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have the same exact issue, REALLY slowing down my workflow on the dozens of title cards I have to make and translate into other languages. How is this still an issue this many months later? Text is pretty important in motion graphics, just fyi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rameez, I think the problem is a lot more common than you know.   I'm using the newest version, running on a Macbook Pro - M1 Max chipset.  I can't remember a month in the past 3 or 4 months that this bug has not been present.  Lets take a few engineers off of updating RAW for photoshop every month for a bit and put them on this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rameez, please GET  THE ADOBE TEAM TO RESOLVE THIS! It's been months!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same exact issue since v22.1. I'm glad to see it's a known issue and being addressed. The bug is still present in v.22.3. Although it's a bothersome issue, but not enough for me to try the beta, yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for reporting this, and for those of you on the beta program, there is a fix for this now available in Beta 22.4 build 42.

The problem was not specific to the first or last character of the story - those were just the most obvious cases - as it would "stick" in other places as well but it was possible to wiggle out of those and get it unstuck.

I tested the fix with all the cases I could think of but of course that might not cover your own experience - I would appreciate knowing of any continuing failures.

Douglas Waterfall
After Effects Engineering

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is this Beta.  It's September, and I've updated to the latest version.  Still happening.  PLEASE FIX.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Josh mehler 

You can download the Beta from the Creative Cloud desktop app. 

Rameez_Khan_0-1662488256653.png

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do we have to download a beta for the fix? This is Mickey Mouse stuff here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines