• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cant select last letter in a line of text - After Effects v 22.1.x and v22.x

Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have an issue in AE where if I click and drag on a line of text it wont let me select the last letter, this happens if I click and drag left, or right. I have no idea what is causing this.

I thought it was the GPU - I have an Zotac RTX3080 I swapped it out for an RTX 3070 and am still having the same issue. I uninstalled AE Juice as that seems to cause random problems with AE now, and am struggling to figure out what may be causing this.

I have a Core i9 10920x an Asus Rog X299E mother board, 64gb of Ram DDR 3600 (XMP is on) and the Zotac RTX 3080 - I have updated graphics drivers and still no luck.

I was running two 4K monitors, and have unplugged on thinking that maybe that was an issue, but no luck.

Please help. I am losing my mind with this problem.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Hi all, 

After Effects 23.0, released a few hours ago, has fixed this issue. 

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 131 Replies 131
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2022 Oct 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not a practical workaround as it will affect the positioning of a line. Plus it doesn't help when you are trying to tweak kerning in the middle of a line. The only way to get around is to use the arrow key to move to the right of the letter you need - then command click to the left of the first letter. It is time consuming and aggravating. Can't believe this hasn't been fixed in the public version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah It wasn't an ideal fix but it works in some cases. To be honest I cant believe the bug is even in the software at all. Its really annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just double click the word to highlight the whole thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That only works if it's the only word in the line of text. If you need to select the last word of a sentence or phrase that doesn't do any good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You just keep clicking for more words .... if you click 4 times it will do all the text etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does work regarless of where the word is. I just checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I understand that.  But it does not help when I need to adjust kerning or tracking between just 2 letters in a word.  That is what is so frustrating.  I just finished a project where I had to do quite a bit of that to match the source material exactly.  Took me way too long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an FYI, I just updated AE (Oct 12, 2022), and the issue is still there for me, even though Rameez mentioned (back in Sept) it should be updated in the next release. Not really surprised.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i do sometimes wonder if adobe ever use there own software on a daily basis. if they did they would pick on all the little things and fix them rather than adding pointless features that no-one asked for. the fix , i think the fix will take place in the next main version rather than a mini update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree 100%.  Photoshop was DONE, COMPLETE, GREAT, 10 years ago.  AE was fine the way it was 5 years ago, until they release new versions that break text editing (of ALL things).  But, really, Adobe could stop making updates other than just to keep up with operating systems.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, even though the text glitch fix still hasn't been applied, I did notice on this last update that Adobe had time to make selected keyframes a little harder to see at a glance, with outlines instead of the fill. 

Please stop screwing with the things that work great already, and fix all the bugs and missing features users keep demanding year after year... 

KeyframeOutlines.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

After Effects 23.0, released a few hours ago, has fixed this issue. 

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rameez! Just checked it out and it does work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for finally addressing this! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the credit goes to @Douglas_Waterfall. 👏🏻

He fixed it!

-Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Douglas!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yay!!!!!

Thanks for finally getting this done.  This makes my life so much easier. : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and now we face a new issue of the play head not moving when previewing or scrubbing the timeline. its one thing after another.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I take it back. a simple system restart fixed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

respectful: not true. still there and more annoying than ever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@schnudiesounds

Is the selection issue still there or are you referring to the play head problem?

If the latter - this is not the thread to be reporting it as it will never be found or noticed.

If the former - I want more information from you on the text that you used for the selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for coming by. I cant select the last letter. Sorry, if i mixed up the topic, but i was following the head 😉 Working in v. 22 at the moment. Is there a fix i cant see?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@schnudiesounds Fix went into 23.0, per Rameez's post/correct answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But in 22 it got worse. Is there a fix? I fear to early adopt a new version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines