• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cant select last letter in a line of text - After Effects v 22.1.x and v22.x

Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have an issue in AE where if I click and drag on a line of text it wont let me select the last letter, this happens if I click and drag left, or right. I have no idea what is causing this.

I thought it was the GPU - I have an Zotac RTX3080 I swapped it out for an RTX 3070 and am still having the same issue. I uninstalled AE Juice as that seems to cause random problems with AE now, and am struggling to figure out what may be causing this.

I have a Core i9 10920x an Asus Rog X299E mother board, 64gb of Ram DDR 3600 (XMP is on) and the Zotac RTX 3080 - I have updated graphics drivers and still no luck.

I was running two 4K monitors, and have unplugged on thinking that maybe that was an issue, but no luck.

Please help. I am losing my mind with this problem.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Hi all, 

After Effects 23.0, released a few hours ago, has fixed this issue. 

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 131 Replies 131
Participant ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came here because of this exact issue. Sooooo ridiculous, Adobe. Get your (profanity removed by moderator) together

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe! This was fixed in the last version (22.4) and now with this brand new v22.5 it's back, ahhhh! Now I'm gonna have to roll back to the prevous version.  *Please note this bug and fix asap*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until this is resolved, triple-click to select the entire line.  If you need to include the line brake at the tail of the line for text formatting purposes, quadruple-click.

Probably worth mentioning that double-click selects a single work and quintuple-click selects all lines of multi-line text.

Another option is to use shift right arrow to complete a left to right click and drag type selection or shift left arrow to complete a right to left click and drag type selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jesus....is after effects dying?  every month there is a new small glitch and a fix never comes...i have like 20 big glitches i have to watch out for now and no updates?  no fixes?  no support!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I've never noticed this issue as I've always used click, double-click, triple-click, quadruple-click, and quintuple-click with text as this works the same across After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.

AE isn't dying.  Have you had a chance to check out Content-aware Video Fill or Multi-Frame Rendering (my renders on my 2017 iMac Pro finish in half the time)?  Or have you noticed that we can make edits while a Preview is running, including moving the Current Time Indicator to make numeric adjustments?

20 glitches?  Care to list them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has always worked fine in the past. Why should we have to tripple click anything when we've always been able to just drag and select what we want? I have a hard time because specific parts of my text needs adjusting or font weight transformations that don't always happen on a word by word or line by line case. It's very common a specific character needs adjusting. Again, this was finally fixed in 22.4.0 and now the bug is back in 22.5.0. I rolled back to the previous version where it's working fine. *Adobe, take note and fix this please 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clicking and dragging across a single character should still be working as expected.  It's just when we click and drag across an entire line that character is might be left out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's the last and many times first character in the line, it almost always does not select either. It works as it should in 22.4.0, but def  not the same exerience in 22.5.0. Something that got fixed in 22.4.0 did not get transfered over to the latest. I've had moments where certain font types and sizes may change the outcome of if it works or not, but bottom line is something didn't translate over to 22.5.0 in the character panel properly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And that is supposed to be all right?  REALLY?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this solve to an annoying and ridiculous bug! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not solved yet! lol 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It'll never be solved. The clowns at Adobe don't know what they're doing. Even if they did they have no motivation to fix anything, they have your subscribtions and moeny already in thiet pockets!! Everyone switch to Resolve and Fusion! It is SOOOOO much better!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really helpful, thanks -and probably the first instance of a quintuple click I've come across!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

R click and select all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a solution if you need to select one or two letters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2022 Jul 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue and I think I found a solution. All you have to do is double click inside the text box you may have to click more then two times but that has been highlighting all the letter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2022 Jul 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any update from Adobe?  I'm having a nightmare as I need to select and separately kern the second to last and last letter... its impossible not being able to select the last letter!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2022 Jul 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@HUP-GFX 

The issue in this thread is about selecting an entire line of text via click and drag, not about placing the text prompt between characters to adjust kerning.  

Are you having difficulty clicking between characters to get the text prompt?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to be able to drag over adjoining characters to tweak kerning/tracking.  THAT is the issue.  It is making everyone here crazy, including me.  I have a whole project that needs specialty formatting and this is adding a ton of time to my workflow.  NOT acceptable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem. It is just so annoying. Come on Adobe, do something about it !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just Double click on the font, that's it, 

but this is ridiculous adobe is acquiring the entire market. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is about drag selecting specific characters, not the entire word or line. It's a bug they are aware of and hope they fix asap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also having this issue since updating to 22.5.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm getting this on the latest version. Until Adobe come up with a fix, is there an obvious workaround? Liking the lastest version apart from this bug. Running it on m1 Max & seems to be pretty amazing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines