Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create an Arrow in AE

Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I am trying to create an arrow in AE that does not animate. I just want a still arrow that I can bend etc. Its basically a 20 second little video with text and I need to create an arrow. When I search online I just see animated arrows and I do not see anything in presets for arrows. Any ideas or suggestions?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

There is no arrowhead function in AE. The easiest thing to do is to create the arrow in Illustrator and import it. You can also draw one using the grid with snap to grid turned on. There are also lots of vector-based arrows on Adobe Stock. You can probably also find some free ones if you search for images.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no arrowhead function in AE. The easiest thing to do is to create the arrow in Illustrator and import it. You can also draw one using the grid with snap to grid turned on. There are also lots of vector-based arrows on Adobe Stock. You can probably also find some free ones if you search for images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok yeah never really used Illustrator but I am giving it a go. I created the curved arrow but i want the arrow white because the background is black in AE. Trying to find that then I will need to figure how to save it so that i can use it in AE. Also the background is white in Illustrator not sure if that will affect it when saving it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's time to do some studying. This is a pretty good start: How to prepare Illustrator graphics for After Effects | Creative Bloq

Most of the information is accurate.

This one is also good: How to set up Illustrator files for Motion Designers — Austin Saylor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 24, 2018 Nov 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I´ve created arrows in Illustrator and imported them in to AE (created shape layers and so on) but I can´t get them "moving". I use them on a map and want to show how groups of people has moved. I want the arrow to "grow". Would be grateful for help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 24, 2018 Nov 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I checked that out before but its easier to create arrows in AI and if I can use them in AE I think I want to stick to them. Otherwise, I ´ve to learn according to the video....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While AE is very capable for creating arrows, Illustrator is the shape drawing champ.

jans, have you looked into how to convert AI layers into AE Shape Layers?  Or how to copy and paste an AI object to an AE Shape Path or AE Mask Path?

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi Warren, thanks for the comment.Yes, I've converted AI-layers and created AE- shape layers , but not "copy and paste an AI object to an AE Shape Path or AE Mask Path". I´ll try that.

Found this video:

AE Quick tip - Copy Illustrator path into after effects - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another option for getting from AI to AE is a 3rd party utility called Overlord:

https://www.battleaxe.co/overlord/

I haven't used it, but I've heard great things about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2020 Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great video how  how to create arrow! Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you a new user in AE?

Are you famimiar with keyfraning.

Rick Gerard​ would you be able to point OP to a few basic resources ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I´m a beginner but I know some about how to use keyframes. I can create a shape layer in AE and have a line (created by the pen tool) to "grow/move" the way I want by adding a trim paths to the layer and put 0% to the start keyframe and 100 % to the end key frame. But this doesn´t work with arrows created in AI. The just disappear or doesn't show at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mikey Borup has a $1 (minimum contribution) AE Preset that creates arrows quickly and easily. It's highly customizable and provides for tapered arrows too. Path Arrow - Cinema Spice | Idaho Falls Video Production And Advertising AgencyCinema Spice | Idaho ...

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried using a font?

Webdings 1 as a few arrows while Webdings 3 has a bunch.

Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 11.47.20 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another simple option for a basic arrow:

1. toolbox > polygon tool : drag to create shape. While still holding down the mouse button tap the down arrow key to get a triangle, then hold down the shift key to keep it upright. Release the mouse button.

2. In the timeline you now have a shape layer. Find the 'Add' menu. Add > Rectangle.

3. Use the properties in the 'Rectangle Path 1' section to size the rectangle to be you arrow body.

Now you've got your arrow you could use something like the "CC Bend It" Effect for some simple bending.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously, I can't believe that arrow heads are not a builtin function. What should be a 5 sec task, is going to take me a 15 to 20 min to workaround this shortcoming.

It often feels like the teams at Adobe never, ever talk to each other (and may actually punish inter-team communication). Super basic functionality. C'mon, Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I completely agree that it should be included.  In the short term fix, I've got a preset for an arrow you're welcome to use.

https://youtu.be/nDPKrl-aABo

The tutorial shows you how to build your own, but the preset is also included in the description.  The present is as simple as it could be, double click on it to add it to the comp.

Step-by-step tutorial with downloadable preset. Here's a really quick way to use Shape Layers to make an arrow preset you can use to point to anything in Adobe After Effects. There are a couple of expressions, but it's straight-forward and once you've built your preset, you'll always have an arrow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines