Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Crummy Camera Lens Blur CS6

Jan 14, 2013 Jan 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Camera Lens Blur effect that came with AE CS 5.5 and CS 6 doesn't look nearly as good as the old Lens Blur effect that came with CS 5; it's pretty much unusable for my purposes. Foreground elements that should be sharp render sharp, but with a blurry halo around them. The old Camera Lens blur does not exhibit this behavior, nor the Frischluft Depth of Field plugin.

Here's an image showing the depth map and how the three plugins render it:

CameraLensBlur.png

The images are composited from 16-bit PNGs rendered out of Cinema 4D. There's a nasty halo visible around the foreground particle in the upper left in the CS6 Camera Lens Blur version. I saved the old Lens Blur effect as a preset out of a CS5 project and am, fortunately, still able to use that approach in CS6 since the "improved" version of the plugin looks pretty crummy (I skipped AE CS5.5). As a test I installed the demo of Frishluft's Lenscare plugins, and after inverting the depth buffer in the plugin I got a good result.

The "new" Camera Lens Blur is acting like the Compound Blur effect. Foreground elements appear sharp but with a blurry halo since the entire "background" is being blurred, creating a blurred ghost of the foreground element. The old Lens Blur effect was very slow, but it did work.

Anyone know how to make this new "improved" Camera Lens Blur look like the other plugins?  I've posted a zipped file with the image and depth map in a small AE CS6 project here if anyone here would care to check my settings.  Maybe I'm missing somthing.

CameraBlurs folder.zip

Thank you.

Shawn Marshall

Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Apr 18, 2014 Apr 18, 2014

The After Effects team does consider this to be a bug, and it's on our backlog to fix. It just hasn't risen to the top of the to-do list because we have seen very few bug reports about it, so it seems that not very many people are bothered by it. We tend to work on bugs in priority order based on severity and how many people report that they are affected.

So, yes, do submit a bug report to cast your vote.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2013 Nov 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to import the blur effect from CS5 into the plugins folder for CS6. I took away the current pluging for "lens blur" and this worked. store your CS6 plugin somewhere else for use in the future. However when I open After Effects both "camera lens blur" and "lens blur" show up in my effects panel. Not sure why they are both there, but they both work!

-seth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2014 Aug 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AAAAnnnnnnnd still unresolved. Look, I know there must be a ton to do at Adobe, but how could such an egregious mistake make it through quality control? Is there literally no one that tests new effects when they are implemented? I somehow doubt it, which leads me to believe that this was a known issue when the new effect was added. I could be wrong, but either way, for something as essential as using a depth map for DOF effects, this is unacceptable, especially for a software that touts itself as being a professional level compositing application. 

I have filled a bug report, but if its honestly been this long, what chances are there that this will be resolved anytime soon? It's sure not going to help me finish the project I'm working on currently.

It seems like every other day I need to buy this plugin or that plugin to get the functionality I need from AE. I left Nuke due to the high cost, but now I'm beginning to understand that you get what you pay for.

To the poor individuals who have to read all of our complaints, I thank you. I know you aren't responsible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 07, 2014 Aug 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi puppetnonsense,

We are looking at making improvements to the Camera Lens Blur effect for a near-term release. Right now I can't promise that this will definitely happen, or when such a release would be available. I can say that the work is high on our priorities list.

When we introduced Camera Lens Blur in After Effects CS5.5, it solved many issues with performance compared to the old Lens Blur effect, as well as adding new capabilities. It also introduced this problem with overlapping depths. We have investigated this and understand the problem; the solution requires a complex re-working of the algorithm that Camera Lens Blur currently uses. The amount of time it will take to engineer this, and the fact that the existing results are good for cases where overlapping depths do not occur, have been contributing factors towards us not yet choosing to make this change.

Now that the issue is higher on our priority list, there's a good chance the work will get done soon.

Please do continue filing bugs for issues that you see in After Effects. We read all of them and the data we get helps us to prioritize improvements to After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2014 Nov 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So now we're in AE CC 2014 and I see absolutely no difference to this essential feature!

How come this is not more important? I literally use this effect on every single project where I import 3D sequences and there are no such cases where "overlapping depths do not occur". The one reason I want to use this tool is because I have overlapping depths from a depth map. If there wasn't any overlap I wouldn't need this tool. I could simply use another simpler blur effect and mask the desired area and I'd be ok with it. With depth maps that's not possible, though, so a tool like this is essential!!

Either fix it or remove it. This tools' been sitting in the effects box for generations without fulfilling its purpose

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2015 Mar 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amen! Even in CS5 it was never as good as Frischluft's Lens Blur. C'mon Adobe, step it up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2015 Mar 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this moved forward yet or been dealt with, do you know?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2015 Mar 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, it still looks awful.

Adobe, any chance on when we can get this updated?! Sooner rather than later please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2015 Mar 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been now more than 2 years now that Shawn referred to you this "bug". Thing that I doubt to be a bug. However, after 2 years now, and being on CC 2014.2, this is still ugly when using a depth map. The bokeh is nice, I give you that. But you clearly can't use it with a Dmap. I know it's pretty useless to tell you things that you already know, either make a bug report. It's clear now that it won't get any update.

And as someone here said, if you can't/don't wonna fix it, why can't you simply pack the old Lens Blur from CS5 as an obsolete effect ? Or let's go crazy, just buy the Frischluft (Dat name...) blur which works and pack it.

I would love, of course, to hear from you that you're on it and that a new release is coming soon... Anyway.

Just to remind you, here some pictures of what we are experiencing with your Lens Blur using a depth map.

Adobe Lens Blur.jpg

Halo around the lens on the middle until the screw top right... and cannot be fixed by any way with the focal distance. But yes, the bokeh is really nice.

And here with the Frischluft

Frischluft.jpg

It simply works.

You could say then, why am I not buying it ? I'm considering it a lot now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 10, 2015 Aug 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THE number one selling point for this whole Creative Cloud thing was that the developers would no longer be subject to the tyranny of having to come up with new, attention-grabbling features every year for major, annual releases.  They could now go in and fix all of those little issues that impact workflow but aren't exciting selling points.

Yet here we are, two-and-a-half years since my original post on this issue, and still no progress.  According to Tim K. this was "higher on our priority list" almost exactly a year ago, and yet the problem exists.  Not that I've personally confirmed this since I refuse to install CC 2015, or work in anything higher than CS6 since the developers have removed the option for me to work in a dark on light interface for no apparent reason.

Maybe instead of letting broken features persist for years because only a handful of users understand how the feature should work and thus generate a sufficient number of bug reports you hire some more programmers to fix these issues.  Or just remove the feature until you get around to fixing it.  In the meantime I'm using Frischluft.

Shawn Marshall

Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2015 Aug 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amen to that!

Adobe, some of us work for studios who are not willing to go and buy plug-ins, so we rely on the tools that are luckily given to us (E.G creative cloud), it's not good enough when these tools don't work as they should especially when they are something as important as being able to use depth of field properly for compositing 3D shots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. I just submitted a bug report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. This is ridiculous. Use to work so well. I'd happily take a render hit for accuracy. Just made a bug report

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2015 May 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm honestly pretty shocked that after this long time the camera lens blur still does not work.

I filled in a bug report, but c'mon after such a long time?

Regards, Robert Glotzbach

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2015 Jul 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so I've just opened up After Effects CC 2015, and opened up a project that uses a depth pass, and an adjustment layer with the Camera Lens Blur effect applied to it, and it STILL doesn't work properly. There is still a halo around the objects that should be pin-sharp and in focus.

How has this not been fixed yet even with a new major release?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 21, 2015 Jul 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

seb james wrote:

How has this not been fixed yet even with a new major release?!

I agree with your frustration on it not being fixed - I am similarly annoyed. However, CC 2015 isn't technically a major release in that it's AE version 13.5, not version 14.

Remember, to everyone in this thread, ALL of you need to file bug reports on this. The number of reports has an effect on the priority of a bug. Updated link (3/19): After Effects: Hot (1390 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

Even if you've filed before, this is a new release of AE and you can file a bug against this version too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I have cloud and the cc2015 version. It's still an issue.

Been using the sapphire plugin, which is better, but still not perfect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fix is currently in our queue for later this year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2015 Sep 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What other glaring bugs in CC are there that are more important than this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 26, 2015 Nov 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news on when this will be fixed? It's now later in the year, and still no fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2016 Mar 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HOW IS THIS STILL NOT FIXED???

Unbelievable, honestly. Just bloody fix the damn thing already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2016 Jun 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Todd,

Any sign of when this will be fixed? 3 years of waiting, many posts, multiple bug reports, and it's still not been done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 09, 2016 Jun 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seb.James wrote:

Hi Todd,

Any sign of when this will be fixed?

Todd doesn't work for Adobe anymore.

File those feature requests, people! an official, traceable feature request is the best thing to do. Get everyone you know who uses AE to file one too. The more they get, the higher up the priority list it goes. I've filed one. Join me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the_dudes  wrote

So?

Todd Kopriva doesn't work for Adobe any more.

the "Correct Answer" on this thread states that they haven't had a lot of bug reports on this, so it's not high priority. So, PLEASE file bug reports if this affects you! I have filed one, Updated link (3/19): After Effects: Hot (1390 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd might not work for Adobe, but I'm fairly sure somebody still does. We shouldn't have to fill in bug reports for 5 years over a feature that we were told is in the process of getting fixed anyway... That's ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines