• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cryptomatte stops working randomly

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2023 Dec 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having issues with randomly not being able to make cryptomatte selections, the cursor simply doesnt change as it should when cryptomatte effect is selected. This can happen in projects which have worked well for days and suddenly it breaks and then i stays broken.
Furthermore Im having trouble gettin cryptomatte working in already established AE projects - its like I HAVE to make my comp with the cryptomatte effect as one of the first comps in a project - otherwise same issue - cursor doesnt change when cryptomatte effect selected.
My cryptomattes are generated with 3dsmax and vray and Im quite confident they are containing correct data its just the effect inside AE which stops working.
Any ideas how to fix this?
TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 19, 2024 Apr 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you still having the issue? Let us know.

I am moving this thread from Bugs to Discussions for now.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2024 May 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same problem. My cryptomatte files worked great and then just stopped. Now they don't do anything. I can't select or deselect anything. Were you able to resolve your issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2024 May 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same problem. My cryptomatte files worked great and then just stopped. Now they don't do anything. I can't select or deselect anything. Were you able to resolve your issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2024 May 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

only workaround to me is to open a completely fresh ae project, make the cryptomatte in there. import that project into the real project and then it works in the imported projects comps ( until it stops working again at some point 😕 )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 08, 2024 May 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mind sharing a screen recording that shows the problem? Also, a collected project that repeats the issue would be really helpful for us to reproduce the issue in-house. Feel free to DM me if you don't want to share it publicly.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's nothing to record. THe cryptomattes import and work as needed and then just stop and you can't select or deselect. I don't know what to do. My job is on the line. I've triend in AE 2024 and in AE 2023. i want to install ProExr but can't download it anywhere now that it's integrated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. Oh my goodness this is so frustrating. I have several comps all needing cryptomattes. it work at first but then just stops altoghether. I don't know what to do. Appreciate your input. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2024 May 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU CHRISTIAN! Your workaround tip is saving me! It's the only thing that has worked. Hours upon hours of spinning my wheels only to have Cryptomattes break every time. I have dozens of scenes all requiring cryptomattes and I was completely stuck. I thought I had tried everything. Thank you for posting your solution and replying back to me so promptly. I appreciate you!  I hope Adobe can work out this bug. It's maddening!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2024 May 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also encountering this issue. I've found if you double-click the layer it will open a layer preview tab, from which you'll then be able to select your elements as usual (with the cryptomatte cursor). If you then go back to your comp tab and change the cryptomatte effect's output to "Matte Only", you'll see a matte of your selected elements. Weird bug. I've only encountered it since installing the Topaz Video AI plugin but that could just be a coincidence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2024 May 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, @RenderKick. This did help. Although, after trying to open the layer in the footage window and layer window, initially, cryptomatte didn't seem active. However, closing those panels and trying again resulted in the behavior you mentioned without having to import into a new project file. This is using both latest beta and production release (05/17/2024). 16bpc EXR sequences, only 3 additional channels. Zip compression on the EXRs, are you compressing your EXRs as well? I do not use Topaz Video, so I doubt that's it. 

cc @cheryls98988222 @Christian Ludvigsen @nishu_kush @Ruper3d @fnordware 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also, Windows 11, updated drivers, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2024 May 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

345 / 5.000

Same problem for me, with my after 2024.4 I updated my video card drivers and Windows drivers and I still have the same problem. Import only the cryptomattes and try to select them and After Effects will stop working. A friend of mine opened the same cryptomattes with his After Effects 2018 and it worked great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This usually happens because you've swiched off Show Layer Controls in the View menu, which is the same as the Toggle Mask and Shape Path Visibility button in the comp window. You need it on (and the Cryptomatte effect selected) for the clicks to go through.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2024 May 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

omg I think you're right - haven't tested my old files where it seemed to be broken - but the behaviour when pressing ctrl+h in a fresh project is exactly what I experienced previously... if this is the case I will send you a MEGAPINT of redwine 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2024 Aug 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you got it! thats the solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines